Learning guitar

D TOTAL

Iv bought a guitar which will be arriving in a couple of days, has anyone tried the app yousician or anything like that as I’m a total beginner any advice would be appreciated!!

I've never tried that app, but there are plenty of decent tutorials on Youtube for beginners and easy songs to learn.

I was in the position of being a total beginner about ten years ago and didn't know where to start, and what I was advised to do was learn the A, C, D, E, G, E Minor, A Minor chords. These are basic chords and are pretty easy to learn with practice, but countless songs are made up of any combination of those chords.

Don't be demoralised if you don't suddenly morph into Jimi Hendrix straight away.  Things like transitioning between chords once you've learned them takes practice at first, but you'll get there.

Edited by TheIntenseHummingOfEvil

As said above , learn the chords mentioned and practice strumming and just changing between them .

Loads of good tutorials on YouTube  ... Useful for learning technique and songs .

But best  off all would be having a mate ( or mates ) to learn with ...Just by watching other players you can pick up wee tricks and cheats to make your playing better  (and easier ) 

But most of all STICK WITH IT  , its worth it 

4 hours ago, D TOTAL said:

Iv bought a guitar which will be arriving in a couple of days, has anyone tried the app yousician or anything like that as I’m a total beginner any advice would be appreciated!!

Get a little drunk whenever you are in the mood to play - assuming one is of legal drinking age.   Oasis songs are pretty fun to play, and if you never progress past that at least you have a bank of three or four chords which you can change between and sound melodic.

Get a little drunk whenever you are in the mood to play - assuming one is of legal drinking age.   Oasis songs are pretty fun to play, and if you never progress past that at least you have a bank of three or four chords which you can change between and sound melodic.

23 fortunately but even if I wasn’t , it’s Scotland, c’mon legal drinking what’s that?

What kinda guitar you bought? I started about a year ago and now have 4 and already looking at my next purchase.

^^^this^^^

nobody wants bloody stumps for fingers .....

i tend to use 10's on my electric ( nice and light for fretboard wizardry)and 12s on my acoustic (don't really need to be bending the strings as much ) ...

I used www.andyguitar.co.uk when I was learning a few years back. It's very good. There's also www.justinguitar.com which is a bit more advanced, even though it's for beginners. Both are free.

Like everything, you need to put the time in, even if it's just 20 or 30 minutes a day. It's one of the few things I've tried where I have noticed an obvious improvement the more time I've put in - usually when I try something new I get pretty frustrated because I was still pish after a few weeks!

Edited by Stu

I'd start on 10s, builds up a bit more resistance then when you drop to 9s it feels so easy. Aminor pentatonic scale is a great beginner one. Large percentage of rock songs will use it. Gets the fingers and picking working. Tutorials are everywhere on youtube. Ultimate-guitar.com has a lot of good tabs aswell. 

I use the Ultimate Guitar tabs app. Well worth paying a few quid for the pro features. Great tools and able to slow down, loop etc tracks.

First and foremost tho I would say buy a chord book and just keep practising your major and minor chords. Best advice is to just keep at it, unfortunately there are no short cuts. You will sound horrendous and want to quit for ages but keep ploughing on, I found that your playing comes on in great unexpected leaps rather than a linear line of progression, ie shit for 6 months then one morning you pick it up and everything seems so much easier than before!

22 years down the line and persevering through all the moments I've felt like quitting it has been so worthwhile.