Rutherglen Glencairn 2019-20

glensmad

Raining goals will have helped boost confidence levels and with the return of some important players we should see an improvement come the weekend....hopefully as a team Glens can defend better and the midfield need to be tighter as a unit which will give added protection to the defence.

Meadow are a decent outfit and are sitting pretty in the league but Glens are more than capable of a good result.

2 minutes ago, jinky said:

Raining goals will have helped boost confidence levels and with the return of some important players we should see an improvement come the weekend....hopefully as a team Glens can defend better and the midfield need to be tighter as a unit which will give added protection to the defence.

Meadow are a decent outfit and are sitting pretty in the league but Glens are more than capable of a good result.

It will hopefully help having a recognisable shape with players in their natural positions. The Clydebank game three weeks ago was effectively just a fixture fulfilled, but we had players playing out of position all over the park that day, and three of them were playing with injuries. Things are beginning to look a wee bit better now, but we're still far from full strength.

Rutherglen Glencairn are pleased to announce the signing of experienced central defender Terry Hewitt from Bo'ness United. Terry, who is 31 years old, has also played with Sauchie Juniors, Cumbernauld United, Thorniewood United and Blantyre Victoria, and is available for selection for tomorrow's match against Irvine Meadow.

Rutherglen Glencairn FC are saddened to learn of the passing of former club captain Willie Brennan. Willie captained The Glens to the Scottish Junior Cup Final in 1967 and also won the league and the Evening Times Cup that season.

Willie is pictured holding the Evening Times Cup and flowers from his family, and also pictured at the reunion event held in 2013 for the 1967 and 1975 Scottish Junior Cup Final teams (2nd from right).

We extend our deepest sympathies to Willie's wife Helen and all of the family. The club will hold a minute's silence before tomorrow afternoon's match at The Celsius Stadium.IMG_0221.jpegIMG_20191004_203419.jpeg

Took in the game today and scrappy 1st half with not much between the sides. Rutherglen shaded it in the 2nd half i reckon and a draw would have been a fair result but end of day Meadow took the chance that mattered so well done to them, a well drilled and organised outfit.

Can't help but feel Rutherglen could do with a physical presence both upfront with a target man and in centre mid also to put foot on ball and dictate play.

Good luck to them for the season though, no doubt plenty talent within the squad.

Took in the game today and scrappy 1st half with not much between the sides. Rutherglen shaded it in the 2nd half i reckon and a draw would have been a fair result but end of day Meadow took the chance that mattered so well done to them, a well drilled and organised outfit.
Can't help but feel Rutherglen could do with a physical presence both upfront with a target man and in centre mid also to put foot on ball and dictate play.
Good luck to them for the season though, no doubt plenty talent within the squad.
That's a fair assessment. We didn't deserve to lose that game today. Garry Whyte didn't make a save in the game, but to be fair Shaun Newman only had one save as well, from McRobbie near the end.

It didn't look like 10 v 11 after Gebbie was sent off, Glens were the better team in the second half despite the man disadvantage. But unfortunately the normally deadly Dale missed the target completely from the penalty.

I'll wait till I see the video of the second yellow for Gebbie, my initial view was that he took the ball as clean as a whistle and it was a howler of a decision, but I'm willing to be proven wrong if Gerry's video tells me otherwise. Gerry was much closer to it than me.

As for our striker situation, we were without our first three choice strikers today (McKay injured, Smith suspended, Gormley holiday), so McRobbie was filling in up top and it didn't really work. I agree that we need a central midfielder, Esplin leaving has left a big hole to fill in there.

Terry Hewitt made a decent debut given the fact that he only signed yesterday and met his new team mates today and was thrown straight into the starting team.

Frustrated, but we go again next week away to Benburb. We're getting stronger squad-wise, and we more than matched the team second place in the league today. We just didn't get the breaks. It'll come.

That's a fair assessment. We didn't deserve to lose that game today. Garry Whyte didn't make a save in the game, but to be fair Shaun Newman only had one save as well, from McRobbie near the end.

It didn't look like 10 v 11 after Gebbie was sent off, Glens were the better team in the second half despite the man disadvantage. But unfortunately the normally deadly Dale missed the target completely from the penalty.

I'll wait till I see the video of the second yellow for Gebbie, my initial view was that he took the ball as clean as a whistle and it was a howler of a decision, but I'm willing to be proven wrong if Gerry's video tells me otherwise. Gerry was much closer to it than me.

As for our striker situation, we were without our first three choice strikers today (McKay injured, Smith suspended, Gormley holiday), so McRobbie was filling in up top and it didn't really work. I agree that we need a central midfielder, Esplin leaving has left a big hole to fill in there.

Terry Hewitt made a decent debut given the fact that he only signed yesterday and met his new team mates today and was thrown straight into the starting team.

Frustrated, but we go again next week away to Benburb. We're getting stronger squad-wise, and we more than matched the team second place in the league today. We just didn't get the breaks. It'll come.

Won't be playing Benburb next week as they drew with Deveronside in Junior Cup

Won't be playing Benburb next week as they drew with Deveronside in Junior Cup

I hadn't noticed that, thanks. Perhaps Kennie will give us an alternative fixture, although the only other team free next Saturday is Cumnock and we play them the following week. Could it be a double header ?

Glens were never at the races in the middle of the pitch and IMO were always out numbered....Sean & Gavin needed an extra man to help and this seldom happened...we need to dominate this area and I believe a tweak to the formation is needed if Glens want to win the midfield battle.

Glens were never at the races in the middle of the pitch and IMO were always out numbered....Sean & Gavin needed an extra man to help and this seldom happened...we need to dominate this area and I believe a tweak to the formation is needed if Glens want to win the midfield battle.
Tony Fraser's injury is keeping him out of being a certain starter in there, but I agree we need something else in there as well. Del Esplin was always going to be a hard player to replace.

It is now confirmed that The Glens will have no match next Saturday due to Benburb's replay in the Scottish Junior Cup. Enjoy your weekend off guys. [emoji106] Some of us are heading to sunny places. [emoji41][emoji16]

18 minutes ago, glensmad said:
1 hour ago, Agueroo said:
It’s also a horrendous decision to award the penalty. 

No argument from me, I don't think anybody expected or even claimed for a penalty. Harry Mitchell certainly didn't.

Yep your spot on, looks horrendous but got to imagine it looked completely different from the referees angle. Competitive game yesterday albeit lacking in quality for a lot of the game. Good crowd aswell, hope yous do well this season! 

Yep your spot on, looks horrendous but got to imagine it looked completely different from the referees angle. Competitive game yesterday albeit lacking in quality for a lot of the game. Good crowd aswell, hope yous do well this season! 

Thanks, we'll be fine when we get some important players back on the pitch. Yesterday we were stronger than we have been of late, but we were still missing Donaldson, Fraser, Leyden, McKay, Smith and Gormley. When we played Clydebank a few weeks ago we only had 8 fit players.