Rutherglen Glencairn 2019-20

glensmad

Here's an interesting thing, well I think it's interesting anyway. [emoji16] If you think about last season's squad and how we had hoped to take that into this season, we haven't really had that opportunity. If you take a match day squad as 16 players, below is a list of our top 16 total starting appearances last season. Beside it I have marked with an asterisk which players have not been available for long spells (i.e. months at a time) this season so far.

38 - Tony Fraser *

35 - Del Esplin *

34 - Stevie Kerr

Dale Simeon

30 - Rhys Donaldson *

Garry Whyte *

29 - Jay McKay *

26 - Craig McGregor

23 - Harry Mitchell *

18 - Kris Gebbie *

Ryan Kerr *

Jordan Leyden *

17 - Liam Gormley

16 - Gary Smith *

14 - Tam Miller

12 - Sean McGuire

So I make that 10 out our 16 most regular players from last season that have been missing for long spells. Only 5 of those 16 players started our game yesterday.

8 hours ago, andy25 said:

emoji38.png

A clue to who it may have been great response if you know who it was I’m sure the Glencairn committee would be over the moon for you to come forward and identify the culprit so they could deal with them if you are not willing to stand up and be counted then I’m afraid you are as bad as the person in question 😡😡

f**k sakes, mate...have you not being paying attention ?

It was a wee jovial comment about recent events which occured elsewhere. It was nothing to do with the awful alleged incident at Glencairn which took us all by surprise. None of this stuff gives any of us any particular pleasure and I'm sure that the good people at Glencairn will deal with the culprit when identified.

There is nothing funny about racism.

You, however,...appear to be a humourless git.

I did get what Black Pennel was angling at, but I didn't take the bait. ;)

In response to andy25, the reality of the situation is that we don't know for sure whether the culprit was indeed somebody known to Glencairn. The video of where the assistant referee was standing shows people behind him who we know to be Glencairn fans, and also people who we don't know. As the camera was behind the backs of everyone on that side, we cannot see who was shouting what as they were all obviously facing the pitch.

We are now over three weeks on from the incident, and we have obviously made extensive enquiries amongst our supporters, but so far the response has been the same from everybody, i.e. they didn't hear the shouts which the assistant referee reported, and they didn't know at the time why the game was stopped and why the assistant referee put his flag up. The referee's match report states that he didn't hear the shouts, and the player himself told our manager that he didn't hear them either, so it should not be a matter of cynicism from others when our supporters say the same. I am in no way suggesting that the shouts didn't happen, but you can appreciate how difficult it is to establish a culprit in these circumstances.

I don't think anybody who was at the match on Saturday (which included the West Region President) can honestly say that we as a club are not taking this seriously. We made a statement almost straight away after the game, and that statement was in the match programme on Saturday (our first home game since the incident). The statement was also read out in full to the crowd over the PA both before the game (immediately before kick off as the players of both teams held "Show Racism The Red Card" signs up to the crowd), and again at half time. We had signs up around the ground also.

We continue to take this seriously.

27 minutes ago, jinky said:

pity 2 full backs got injured just when newly structured defence was starting to look the part...any news on the severity of the injuries?

I haven't heard how they are, although I did notice Willie Harvey saying in yesterday's Rutherglen Reformer that having no game this weekend is probably a good thing and that it will hopefully help us to get Lachlan and Miller healthy again.

It's been a good afternoon for us without kicking a ball. The two teams directly above us (Troon and Benburb) both lost at home, helping our chances of catching them both.

We're now 7 points behind Troon with 6 games in hand, and still to play them at home.

We're now 8 points behind Benburb with 2 games in hand, and still to play them twice.

We certainly haven't given up.