Rutherglen Glencairn 2019-20

glensmad

How Peasy were still in front at Half Time was unbelievable, Glens battered us but big Andy was terrific in goals today. Once the third went in it was game over. Thought Peasy had a terrific team spirit and fought for every inch of territory. Deserved win in the end

How Peasy were still in front at Half Time was unbelievable, Glens battered us but big Andy was terrific in goals today. Once the third went in it was game over. Thought Peasy had a terrific team spirit and fought for every inch of territory. Deserved win in the end
Hard to disagree with that.

I thought the keeper got his angles badly wrong for the second goal at the time, it looks even worse than I thought on the video.
I noticed that as it happened. I think Grant was deceived by the curl on the pass in behind Hewitt and just got his angles all wrong.

4 minutes ago, glensmad said:
3 hours ago, peasy23 said:
I thought the keeper got his angles badly wrong for the second goal at the time, it looks even worse than I thought on the video.

I noticed that as it happened. I think Grant was deceived by the curl on the pass in behind Hewitt and just got his angles all wrong.

Hay is not good enough for top level. How many games has he played how many goals lost so far ?

Ok, so we're 21 games into our season, and we're exactly at the halfway point. We have 19 league games left and 2 Champions Cup games. (Ever the optimist, lol. [emoji56] )

It's safe to say that the first half of the season hasn't gone as we had hoped, and we have a lot of work to do to secure consecutive seasons in the top league for the first time in quarter of a century.

The first half on Saturday emphasised where our problems are. We created chance after chance after chance, but scored none. Peasy created three chances and hit the net with all three (one disallowed).

The loss of Jay McKay and Gary Smith to long term injury has been a tough one to cope with. Dale Simeon's goals have helped us, but he hasn't been as prolific of late and we've suffered for it. And we're conceding way too many goals, that needs addressed.

There's a long way to go, but now we can concentrate on the league and hopefully start picking up points to give us a chance of survival.

Our next match ? Away to the runaway league leaders. Initially it sounds like an impossible task, but when you consider we were 4-1 up against them with 20 minutes to play earlier in the season, you just never know. The collapse to ultimate defeat in that game seemed to be the start of our troubles, and we haven't really regained our composure since.

The games against the title contenders are really free hits for us, to be fair. Nobody outside our club will expect us to take anything from those games, but we will pick up a few surprise points from those games, I'm certain of that. It's what we do against the relegation rivals which will define our fate.

Half a season to recover our situation. Far from over.

13 hours ago, glensmad said:

Ok, so we're 21 games into our season, and we're exactly at the halfway point. We have 19 league games left and 2 Champions Cup games. (Ever the optimist, lol. emoji56.png )

It's safe to say that the first half of the season hasn't gone as we had hoped, and we have a lot of work to do to secure consecutive seasons in the top league for the first time in quarter of a century.

The first half on Saturday emphasised where our problems are. We created chance after chance after chance, but scored none. Peasy created three chances and hit the net with all three (one disallowed).

The loss of Jay McKay and Gary Smith to long term injury has been a tough one to cope with. Dale Simeon's goals have helped us, but he hasn't been as prolific of late and we've suffered for it. And we're conceding way too many goals, that needs addressed.

There's a long way to go, but now we can concentrate on the league and hopefully start picking up points to give us a chance of survival.

Our next match ? Away to the runaway league leaders. Initially it sounds like an impossible task, but when you consider we were 4-1 up against them with 20 minutes to play earlier in the season, you just never know. The collapse to ultimate defeat in that game seemed to be the start of our troubles, and we haven't really regained our composure since.

The games against the title contenders are really free hits for us, to be fair. Nobody outside our club will expect us to take anything from those games, but we will pick up a few surprise points from those games, I'm certain of that. It's what we do against the relegation rivals which will define our fate.

Half a season to recover our situation. Far from over.

And why not, go for it, what have you got to lose.

1 hour ago, Tutankhamen said:

And why not, go for it, what have you got to lose.

Yep, absolutely nothing.

You know, in my formative years as a Glencairn supporter (mid to late 70s onwards) we were a team that yo-yo'd from the old Central League Premier (or "Division A" as it was called then) down to the 2nd tier and back up again. We won the odd trophy every few years, but we weren't one of the big powers of the old Central League.

Now that the Central and Ayrshire leagues are merged into the West Region, we are in the top league, with only four teams currently above us who would have been classed as "Central League" teams. And one of those is Rossvale, who never existed when the Central League was about.

Winning the Championship last season was fantastic and it is every club's ambition to rise as high up the leagues as they can. Unfortunately with some of our more fickle supporters, this has raised expectations to what I think is an unrealistic level. Some of them expect us to be up there competing for the title again, and they are calling for the manager's head. It's utterly ridiculous, as if you look back over the past 25 years, we are competing at a level that the club hasn't been at before. You'd think that winning the Championship with 73 points and scoring 108 goals in the league alone last season would have bought a bit of patience, but unfortunately these guys don't want to listen to that logic.

Fortunately others can see the bigger picture though.

Edited by glensmad

Admit i'm curious what the likes Rutherglen Glencairn would get crowd wise in say the Lowland League and with access to the Big Scottish. Yeh i know it's all about money but the Glens have a good set up that could be added too. Maybe long term we can see the real potential in Rutherglen. 

Imagine Rutherglen Glencairn at home to Clyde in the Big Scottish.

1 hour ago, Tutankhamen said:

Admit i'm curious what the likes Rutherglen Glencairn would get crowd wise in say the Lowland League and with access to the Big Scottish. Yeh i know it's all about money but the Glens have a good set up that could be added too. Maybe long term we can see the real potential in Rutherglen. 

Imagine Rutherglen Glencairn at home to Clyde in the Big Scottish.

I am unashamedly a pyramid convert. I can only see positives in it for the club in terms of the marketing potential.

When Clyde visited us to open the stadium in 2008 there was a crowd of around 600.

Our attendance record at the new stadium is 1153 for the Scottish Junior Cup semi-final 2nd leg against Auchinleck Talbot in 2013. The majority of that crowd was obviously Talbot fans, but I'd reckon there were around 350-400 Glencairn fans in the stadium that day.

The potential is there.

Edited by glensmad

The club are pleased to announce that club captain Tony Fraser has now been promoted to the role of Player-Coach, extending Tony's long association with the club which currently stands at 279 competitive appearances.

We are also delighted to welcome Kate Walker to The Celsius Stadium as the club's new physiotherapist.

The club are pleased to announce that club captain Tony Fraser has now been promoted to the role of Player-Coach, extending Tony's long association with the club which currently stands at 279 competitive appearances.

We are also delighted to welcome Kate Walker to The Celsius Stadium as the club's new physiotherapist.

Tony is a good guy who knows the game.

The holy grail of 4th bottom seems a long way off after today, 1 point out of 30 is pretty disastrous stuff.

It's going to take a big change in form to turn this around, but looking at the league table it's far from impossible.

We're 6 points behind Troon, but with 5 games in hand, and they've still to come to Rutherglen.

We're 10 points behind Benburb, but with a game in hand and still to play them twice.

We're 14 points behind Cumnock, but with 7 games in hand.

We're 15 points behind Clydebank, but with 6 games in hand, and they've still to come to Rutherglen.

And, of course, we still have 60% of our full season league fixtures to play. And the teams above us have to play each other as well.

We need to find some form soon though. Can this group of players do it ? Time will tell. The hopeful return to fitness of first choice strikers Gary Smith and Jay McKay may make a difference for us, we have really missed them.

I certainly haven't thrown in the towel yet. Here's hoping the players have as much belief in themselves as I have in them.

You may have good strikers but your defence is atrocious.
I would say relegation is a certainty.

The holy grail of 4th bottom seems a long way off after today, 1 point out of 30 is pretty disastrous stuff.

It's going to take a big change in form to turn this around, but looking at the league table it's far from impossible.

We're 6 points behind Troon, but with 5 games in hand, and they've still to come to Rutherglen.

We're 10 points behind Benburb, but with a game in hand and still to play them twice.

We're 14 points behind Cumnock, but with 7 games in hand.

We're 15 points behind Clydebank, but with 6 games in hand, and they've still to come to Rutherglen.

And, of course, we still have 60% of our full season league fixtures to play. And the teams above us have to play each other as well.

We need to find some form soon though. Can this group of players do it ? Time will tell. The hopeful return to fitness of first choice strikers Gary Smith and Jay McKay may make a difference for us, we have really missed them.

I certainly haven't thrown in the towel yet. Here's hoping the players have as much belief in themselves as I have in them.