Rutherglen Glencairn 2019-20

glensmad

We're still in the Scottish Junior Cup despite playing for 75 minutes with ten men, so it's hard to grumble, but after leading the game today for so long it's disappointing not to have held on for the win.

Is there anybody who attended that game today who honestly thinks that was a red card offence by Sean McGuire ? Yes, it was a foul, and probably a yellow card, but a straight red card was just an utterly astonishing call by the referee.

Certainly didn't look like a red to me, but the ref was only yards away so had a much clearer view than any spectators.

He missed a clear 2 handed push on Michael Hardie by McRobbie which led to the move for Glencairn's second goal, and was also very inconsistent with his yellow cards in the second half, Mitchell should already have been on a yellow when he picked up a caution for an atrocious attempt to win a penalty.

I am a little bit mystified as to why we got a ref from Musselburgh tbh.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Certainly didn't look like a red to me, but the ref was only yards away so had a much clearer view than any spectators.

He missed a clear 2 handed push on Michael Hardie by McRobbie which led to the move for Glencairn's second goal, and was also very inconsistent with his yellow cards in the second half, Mitchell should already have been on a yellow when he picked up a caution for an atrocious attempt to win a penalty.

I am a little bit mystified as to why we got a ref from Musselburgh tbh.

Didn't look like a red to me, was very surprised when the ref pulled it out. Agree with Peasy23. Capuano booked for a clip of Mitchell's heels after Kearney being stopped in his tracks in front of the Glen's dugout, no booking. Then Mitchell had a wee late nibble at Capuano which was an easy booking. Mitchell's dive 😂😂😂. Guy should've just walked straight off after that. 

Apart from Leydens 2 goals I thought McRobbie was your best player. Dropped off the front every time and held the ball up well. Lead up to second goal was a clear foul for a push on Hardie in the middle of the park. Pretty even game. Liked the bit about usually high bounce, which could translate as it didn't stick in the mud on a soft grass park. 

Edited by onemanwolfpack

Apart from Leydens 2 goals I thought McRobbie was your best player. Dropped off the front every time and held the ball up well. Lead up to second goal was a clear foul for a push on Hardie in the middle of the park. Pretty even game. Liked the bit about usually high bounce, which could translate as it didn't stick in the mud on a soft grass park. 
McRobbie had his best game for a while for us, significantly playing right up top instead of wide left. Leyden was the main man for us in my opinion, though, and has been in great form since his return from injury.

I thought the new(ish) pitch seemed a bit bouncier than normal, hence my comment about the height the ball went at Sean's challenge. I think Sean got caught by surprise by it and reacted instinctively to challenge for the ball, but got it wrong. It was reckless, but just a yellow card offence. I didn't mean any disrespect by the comment about the bounce, every ground you visit is different and you have to adapt to the conditions.

Having watched part of the highlights i now think the ref got it right. Jason Elliot down well not to make more of it but the boot does catch him on the face. 
Not for me, it was reckless (a yellow card offence) but never serious foul play.

5 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

Dry ur eyes we got a man sent off for nothing and still won easily 

I used to think you were just at the wind up but tbh you're going over the score now. Well done to Darvel for the win but for someone in a leadership position at the club to come on another club's thread and post like that, you need to give yourself a shake.

I agree with Peter. How can it be serious foul play when Sean is clearly following the ball. Yes, he makes contact with the Petershill players face, but he must have been able to slow his momentum, which negates the serious foul play charge, because the damage done is minimal. Credit to Elliot for not making a meal of it. Can't say the same for the number 5 who was hoping for a game of handbags. There's no doubt it was reckless, but never intentional. However I can understand that the referee may have seen it differently and has to make an immediate decision. Doesn't make him right though.

That’s a stonewall red card. How you can say it’s not is beyond me! I fully agree the lad hasn’t meant it and only has eyes on the ball but his foot is high and his studs make contact with the players face! If that’s not dangerous then I don’t know what is! Having seen the highlights Glencairn were by far the better team even with 10 men! Unfortunate not to see the game out!

Anyhow, we move on now to the replay, and hopefully we will have a player or two more available for next week as well as home advantage, and (fingers crossed) eleven men on the park for the majority of the game.

The irony is that we were due to play Largs at home next week, a fixture that had been switched to our place at Largs' request. If the fixtures stay as they are, then we will now be away to Largs on 4th January without having played them at home, when the original scheduling was for us to be at home to Largs that day. I suppose an ice cream from Nardini's will taste just as good on 4th January though. [emoji846][emoji509]

18 hours ago, rutherglen glencairn said:

I agree with Peter. How can it be serious foul play when Sean is clearly following the ball. Yes, he makes contact with the Petershill players face, but he must have been able to slow his momentum, which negates the serious foul play charge, because the damage done is minimal. Credit to Elliot for not making a meal of it. Can't say the same for the number 5 who was hoping for a game of handbags. There's no doubt it was reckless, but never intentional. However I can understand that the referee may have seen it differently and has to make an immediate decision. Doesn't make him right though.

You've obviously never read the laws of the game - there's no mention of "following the ball" anywhere in law 12. Serious foul play - "A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play." It's a head-high challenge which is an obvious red card, well done to the ref.

• 2 weeks later...