Rutherglen Glencairn 2019-20

glensmad

It's funny how things work out, but for the second year in a row we've been drawn away to Islavale in the 3rd round of the Scottish Junior Cup.

The match will be played on 26th October (last year's match was on 27th October).

Last year we won 4-1 thanks to goals by Jay McKay (2), Harry Mitchell and Liam Gormley.

Hopefully the weather will allow the game to go ahead and it doesn't become a long-running saga. Last year's match was played in horrendous conditions, but 'Vale's pitch held up remarkably well considering how exposed it is.

At least we know where we're going and what to expect.

When it's officially "Non-League Day" but fate means your team doesn't have a match, you just have to play your part. Good evening from Unión Deportiva Fuengirola Los Boliches v CD Atlético Marbelli in the Andalusia Region Malaga District Division Two, the 7th tier in the Spanish football pyramid.
[emoji41][emoji460][emoji469] IMG_20191012_191804.jpegIMG_20191012_192233.jpeg

11 minutes ago, glensmad said:

When it's officially "Non-League Day" but fate means your team doesn't have a match, you just have to play your part. Good evening from Unión Deportiva Fuengirola Los Boliches v CD Atlético Marbelli in the Andalusia Region Malaga District Division Two, the 7th tier in the Spanish football pyramid.
emoji41.pngemoji460.pngemoji469.png IMG_20191012_191804.jpegIMG_20191012_192233.jpeg

What you eating? Soup, stovies or curry pie?

Thank you to Gerry for the highlights.

Interesting to see the double standards from the referee, disallowing Gormley's goal at 0-0 for leaning on the shoulder of the defender, but not giving a penalty for the exact same offence by the defender on Gormley in the second half. Game-changing and potentially game-deciding decisions.

Anyhow, that's seven league defeats in a row now, and it's getting a bit concerning. It's clear that our current starting XI is a million miles away from what we want it to be, and consequently we are a shadow of the team of last season. Take influential players like Donaldson, Fraser, Leyden, McKay and Smith for months at a time and it's not hard to see why we're struggling at the moment. Add to that the loss of Esplin in the summer, and that's more than half of the Championship winning team not available for prolonged periods.

We need a positive result quickly (even a draw would break the losing habit) and it would be a foundation to build from.

There's still two thirds of the season to be played, so I'm not panicking, and I know for a fact neither are the management. As I've said before, for me personally 13th place at the end of the season would be a reason for celebration, as we haven't had successive seasons in whatever format the top league has been for over quarter of a century.

I think I would have been unhappy if a goal for Cumnock had been disallowed for the challenge similar to that of Gormley you spoke about , but, I will reserve judgement on my opinion of a few incidents in the game as they weren’t replayed several times, unlike the Gormley incident

I think replaying the “free kick” when Glens got their second goal when , at first viewing , there doesn’t appear to be any great contact by any player from Cumnock , although McRobbie did the dying swan , got the free kick and did well to score from it

Well done to Gerry for the quality of the highlights , even if they lacked replays of incidents that more directly affected Cumnock

The replays I used were for a disallowed goal, a debatable penalty, and a wrong booking, along with all but one of the goals. Should have brought my sunglasses 🙂

I can't replay everything but I can't remember, having reviewed the whole game, seeing any major incident that merited a replay.

The incident you talk about involved Craig McGregor, not Calum McRobbie :- He was half heartedly held back by a Cumnock player but continued and stretched to get his shot away. Your number 12 came in late after Craig had hit the ball. I appreciate that the in real time it is hard to see.

I never paid any attention to the clip as I didn't see any controversy.

Anyway if you p.m. me your email I will send the slomo of that incident which I have created for you.

Thank you to Gerry for the highlights.

Interesting to see the double standards from the referee, disallowing Gormley's goal at 0-0 for leaning on the shoulder of the defender, but not giving a penalty for the exact same offence by the defender on Gormley in the second half. Game-changing and potentially game-deciding decisions.

Anyhow, that's seven league defeats in a row now, and it's getting a bit concerning. It's clear that our current starting XI is a million miles away from what we want it to be, and consequently we are a shadow of the team of last season. Take influential players like Donaldson, Fraser, Leyden, McKay and Smith for months at a time and it's not hard to see why we're struggling at the moment. Add to that the loss of Esplin in the summer, and that's more than half of the Championship winning team not available for prolonged periods.

We need a positive result quickly (even a draw would break the losing habit) and it would be a foundation to build from.

There's still two thirds of the season to be played, so I'm not panicking, and I know for a fact neither are the management. As I've said before, for me personally 13th place at the end of the season would be a reason for celebration, as we haven't had successive seasons in whatever format the top league has been for over quarter of a century.

A tall ask copeing without all these players out at the same time.You always hope that those coming in can shore things up for a bit but it doesn’t always work. Once back at full strength I’m sure point and form will soon return.

A tall ask copeing without all these players out at the same time.You always hope that those coming in can shore things up for a bit but it doesn’t always work. Once back at full strength I’m sure point and form will soon return.

We're hoping two or three of the long term absentees will be back playing in the next few weeks, but a couple of others are longer term unfortunately.

We just need to deal with it, as I'm sure we're not the only team who are suffering from lots of injuries. That's football unfortunately.

We made hard work of that today, but we're in the next round and scored four goals away from home, so it's hard to grumble. Our two centre backs both started the game with injuries, and we only had two fit outfield subs, so it's good to be through.

Our league match next week has been changed and we now are at home to Cumnock instead of Pollok. That means we'll play Cumnock in consecutive league matches which is not ideal, but I understand the Fixtures Secretary's reason for the change and it's a fair call.

We congratulate our club captain Tony Fraser who yesterday made his 275th competitive appearance for Rutherglen Glencairn, only 3 days after his 39th birthday. [emoji460][emoji469][emoji512]
#glencairnlegend

Top man and player.To be playing at this level is a credit to himself.