St Rochs 2019-20 ( The Centenary Season )

SIGNING NEWS

New Signing number 7

We would like to welcome forward Jack McIlveen to St Roch's

Jack will make his debut v Clydebank on Tuesday

Jack played for the Glencairn under 21's Scottish Cup Winners last season
Jack's dad told me on Thursday that Jack had signed for Clyde ???

Clearly not Peter he has signed for St Roch's and will make his debut tomorrow night .
He was at St Rochs previously and made his debut at 16
Yes, spoke to his dad again this morning, it appears that the St Roch's offer was better than Clyde's, and that he hadn't actually signed for Clyde despite him telling me he had. Good luck to Jack.

57 minutes ago, glensmad said:
2 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:
Clearly not Peter he has signed for St Roch's and will make his debut tomorrow night .
He was at St Rochs previously and made his debut at 16

Yes, spoke to his dad again this morning, it appears that the St Roch's offer was better than Clyde's, and that he hadn't actually signed for Clyde despite him telling me he had. Good luck to Jack.

Scandalous, imagine a junior team being able to pay more than a senior side. What’s the world coming to🤷🏻‍♂️

Junior and senior pro players don’t all get paid the same even at the same club and I know there are professional players at Scottish premier league clubs who earn less than some players in the juniors.... I would be amazed if StR were in the business of out offering senior clubs... [emoji848] see you all tonight... [emoji460]️

13 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

There was me thinking he was playing for the jersey 🤣

I don't know anything about the player or the deal so I will leave others to speculate about that

Jack will hopefully do you a turn at St Roch's, it's a good move for him if he can hold down a place in the team.

He wasn't a regular first pick for our under 21s last season, made a lot of appearances as substitute including in the three cup finals, but he looked like a decent player when I've seen him on the pitch. I'll see his dad again on Thursday night, so will get the full SP.

Good wee run out and performance last night against a good Clydebank side on a balmy Summer evening on the banks of the Clyde and under the landing planes [emoji574]️ . I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the new lads and the signs look good for the season ahead. Our back 4 looked good and new lad in centre midfield has real ability. Young subs looked capable and promising and the BIG lad up front looked good and if we can get him over the line then he will be a massive plus. I’ve heard he has options to perhaps go senior but if he doesn’t he will come to us.

That gets me onto another bit of gossip/rumour/chit chat/nonsense from last night. There is no way that StR would ever discourage anyone from progressing up the ranks or into senior football. Why would we? Our ground is named after a guy who played for a couple of years then went senior to become the greatest goalscorer in British football. We don’t have the budget to outbid senior team for young players and neither should we in my opinion. Different matter if you are trying to attract a senior experienced player who is thinking about a few offers and who will make a massive difference to our team. Even then we ain’t cash rich. I know some fans look for bigger stories and are happy to throw the “the Roch ur stoapin the boy goin senior” ehhhh naw way urnae and neither we widnae. [emoji23] If someone is good enough to go pro and he wants to go then he should go and we should (and will) wish them every bit of good luck. From speaking to the gaffer I know he would be delighted to have helped develop a player who moves up. Feathers in the Candy Cap and all that...

Some great shouts from the terracing last night as the sizeable Candy Crowd dished our a few vocal gems to match the good efforts on the pitch....

CB player after he miscontrols- “fkn hell”

Candy fan- “Hey you, watch yer language there’s kids about”

CB player grumps a screwed up face and answers him back with something under his breath

Candy fan- “well fk aff then ya p***k”

Some fans also offered to cut the opposition managers member off and place it in his throat.... and then lambasted the ref to “get him telt ref. He disnae respect yer authority” [emoji23][emoji23][emoji172]

Irony Irony everyone’s after ye.... aye, it was good to be back!

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji517][emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

IMG_5925.thumb.jpg.5a1381bf7906cba172c0ccce540f5e70.jpgIMG_5916.thumb.jpg.e7204f788c25ee8a8754c9570f22419c.jpgIMG_5921.thumb.jpg.2cceb22da2008100c19c228a66675130.jpg

Let's just clarify something here, as this appears to be growing arms and legs.

I stated that, as far as Jack McIlveen was concerned, that "the St Roch's offer was better than Clyde's".

I did not at any point state that was financial or any other particular factor, I just stated that Jack chose St Roch's over Clyde because he felt their offer was better. That could be down to several factors like suitability for his lifestyle, playing opportunities, family or emotional connections, any other factor.

How this has developed into accusations of "the Roch ur stoapin the boy goin senior" is just ridiculous, as the evidence is only a few posts above here about what I actually said.

Good luck to Jack, he's a nice lad and I know his dad very well as I play Walking Football with him every week, so I wish him all the best.

“How this has developed into accusations of "the Roch ur stoapin the boy goin senior" is just ridiculous”

Calm down Mr Sensitive... no one is suggesting you are saying that or have done. Knowing some of the people who love to have a dig it was a preemptive strike by me to cover some of the pish that has been said already and that I heard last night. As it is I’ve heard the lad didn’t get an offer to go pro/senior so it is a non point. You will see if you read what I wrote, I already said this was all nonsense and not the Candy creed or philosophy.

I agree with you... lots of reasons make a decision for a player like the ones you listed... it’s not all about money and we are not in the market for paying people amounts for them to ignore all other factors. I thought the young lad did well last night when he came on and hopefully we can help him develop, improve his game and who knows where he could go after that? I’m sure that will be why he chose us over some other offers....

As well as missing the banter on the sidelines I have missed the hair trigger response and defensiveness of this forum which is, after all, the modern tech equivalent of anybody saying anything about anything in the Roman forum... aye, it’s good tae be back for another season.[emoji460]️

Whit did ye say??
[emoji23][emoji517][emoji460]️