Peterhead 2019-20

2 hours ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

I think it may be time to look beyond Rory.

Injuries are taking their toll by the looks of it. He looks to have lost a bit of pace .

He gets frustrated and stupid bookings are the order of the day.

Fair enough to start  looking for someone to fill his boots eventually but they are big boots to fill & doubt another striker of his quality will turn up at Balmoor in the near future. He has been carrying a knock for a while & gets frustrated as refs very seldom give him the benefit of doubt which leads to silly bookings. He started this season looking fitter than he has been for a while but with 2 game suspension from last season & 1 from the other week has not got settled down this season. Rory is by a long way our no1 striker & needs supporting not replacing  

27 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Fair enough to start  looking for someone to fill his boots eventually but they are big boots to fill & doubt another striker of his quality will turn up at Balmoor in the near future. He has been carrying a knock for a while & gets frustrated as refs very seldom give him the benefit of doubt which leads to silly bookings. He started this season looking fitter than he has been for a while but with 2 game suspension from last season & 1 from the other week has not got settled down this season. Rory is by a long way our no1 striker & needs supporting not replacing  

Same was said about Martin Bavidge. 

As for supporting him, sometimes he needs a ball to himself.

7 minutes ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

Same was said about Martin Bavidge. 

As for supporting him, sometimes he needs a ball to himself.

I can't remember Martin Bavidge ever being sent off whereas Rory must be well into double figures for red cards. It showed on Saturday what it's like to play without Rory and it was not a good sight. His temperament lets the team down too regularly but he is, and probably always will be, the best striker we have ever been lucky enough to have had in our team.

Rory is still far and away our best option up front which says a lot about the others strikers as he's clearly not the player he once was.

What we need is someone to play alongside Rory with the ability to score goals and share the scoring responsibilities with him so we are less reliant on his goals.

Lyle, although fit for his age also has a few injuries now and the two younger guys so far haven't shown any scoring threats or indeed the physical presence that we need.

Bring back Andy Rodgers. 😋

It was funny Martin Bavidge getting a mention although at the time he was our main goal scorer he spent most of his time out wide  providing for others & getting stick for holding on to the ball too long when there was nobody in the box to give it to, Roryis doing a similar thing which is a waste really as he is still our most likely scorer but needs to be saving his energy for work around the box. Still think with a bit more confidence Aiden Smith cando more of the graft out wide. The other option is to find another Stewartie as a penalty box poacher. 

On 17/09/2019 at 16:17, Blue-Toon said:

I can't remember Martin Bavidge ever being sent off whereas Rory must be well into double figures for red cards. It showed on Saturday what it's like to play without Rory and it was not a good sight. His temperament lets the team down too regularly but he is, and probably always will be, the best striker we have ever been lucky enough to have had in our team.

Stewart is probably my choice, but Rory has been very good for PFC. In SPFL terms.

The club has had a few cracking strikers down the years. Brian Third being my personal favourite, but Tom Brown, Charlie Barbour, John McMaster(yup, THE John McMaster)and last but not least a 16year old striker who banged in goals for fun. Willie Miller. (Wonder what happened to him?)

Back to the issue.

Rory is killing the team with his attitude on the pitch. O.K. he cant do the things he used to, but he has the skill to be a good team player. Time to think of the team, not just Rory.

Edited by As Easterly as it gets!
Missed a sentence

Aidan smith looked like he could slowly take over from rory when we signed him but since the Inverness game ive not seen that much goal threat from him. Ive not given up on him but he really needs to start producing soon

I think it may be time to look beyond Rory.
Injuries are taking their toll by the looks of it. He looks to have lost a bit of pace .
He gets frustrated and stupid bookings are the order of the day.

3 hours ago, EwanThomas15 said:

Aidan smith looked like he could slowly take over from rory when we signed him but since the Inverness game ive not seen that much goal threat from him. Ive not given up on him but he really needs to start producing soon

He reminds me of the road runner cartoon character.  Very quick with lots of aimless running around.

Edited by strichener

8 hours ago, EwanThomas15 said:

I dont think he's a replacement for McAllister,  but I did think he looked like an asset against ICT.

Unfortunately,  he's done nothing since.

Think Aiden Smith needs a goal or two to build confidence but he did show he could win balls and create chances for others when on his game, ideally his work should lead to chances for Rory or Dell who know how to find the net. Ben Armour to a certain extent could provide as well but only if one of the strikers are in the box..

On 19/09/2019 at 08:36, As Easterly as it gets! said:

Rory is killing the team with his attitude on the pitch. O.K. he cant do the things he used to, but he has the skill to be a good team player. Time to think of the team, not just Rory.

I think this really showed on Saturday and as team captain I would expect more. 

2 hours ago, NewBlue said:

I think this really showed on Saturday and as team captain I would expect more. 

Don't think anyone could question Rory's commitment.

He attends his brother's wedding on Saturday, turns up at the ground still in his suit and plays a game of football before returning to the wedding.

Not to mention getting injections in his ankle so he can play with less pain rather than going for a necessary operation.

The fact is that we currently don't have anyone near capable of replacing him.

40 minutes ago, blueone said:

He attends his brother's wedding on Saturday, turns up at the ground still in his suit and plays a game of football before returning to the wedding.

Not to mention getting injections in his ankle so he can play with less pain rather than going for a necessary operation.

Agree Rory has shown his commitment to the club staying with us through thick & thin although allegedly well paid for it he could have moved elsewhere if he wanted. Think the captaincy was given to give him a bit more lee-way in discussions with refs but they still wont listen.

Think Rory and the team would benefit from playing more through the centre & let others do the running that he does out wide when he should be available around the box to finish chances off. Rory gets frustrated & loses the plot now and then but is a great asset to the club.

Yeah no question about commitment. Just clearly something is not right at the moment and he is not linking up or creating chances like he has done in the past. Clearly he is struggling with fitness/injury and if he isn’t going to be fit he might as well get the operation. We won’t miss his goals as he isn’t scoring any.

13 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

That's Willox away to the Broch on loan til January. So we're just not having a bench this season then? Again.

One of the broch players was asking me about him this morning.  Utterly farsical that we keep someone like Armour and punt willox and Norris.  Really starting to get disillusioned with PFC now.

• 2 weeks later...