League 2 Team of the Season

I wouldn't say Currie's that fine a shot stopper, not sure why Rumsby's "distrubution from the back made him an obvious addition" as Lang's is much better and Rankin wasn't our 2nd top scorer, McNiff was. If I was being really petty you could argue that McStay's had a good season and not a "phenomenal" one but after all that I still wouldn't disagree with their places in the team.

How can they have a Raith fan picking the league two team? I mean we can read all we want about other leagues but unless you are watching it every week your opinion is pretty much guess work.

I would have allowed David W or someone do this. Someone who watches all the games but can have a balanced opinion.

1 minute ago, Neilly said:

How can they have a Raith fan picking the league two team? I mean we can read all we want about other leagues but unless you are watching it every week your opinion is pretty much guess work.

I would have allowed David W or someone do this. Someone who watches all the games but can have a balanced opinion.

Just realised it was a Raith fan. That explains the mistakes :lol:

It's not been a classic year in League 2 in terms of picking a team of the year. Two very good sides, two good sides and six teams of absolute dross who all managed to have more defeats than wins. 

From that bottom six and from what I've seen, the only players I'd have anywhere near a team of the year would be Robbie Deas who was on loan at Cowdenbeath, and PJ Morrison from Albion Rovers. I'm not convinced the latter is that good an all round goalkeeper (still very young) but he definitely saved Albion Rovers from a huge number of drubbings, and made some outstanding saves against Clyde. I hope the former is someone that we're keeping an eye on in the hope that Celtic would be happy for him to have a season in a competitive League 1; he'd be a good replacement for Lang/Cogill.

From the top four, I'm loathe to pick McAllister even though he's had a good season in comparison to the rest of the division. 16 goals and 14 (fourteen!) yellow cards?! He got 32 goals last season, 26 the year before in a better division! He clearly hasn't been great compared to what he's used to. He was poor every time he played against Clyde; slow, looked unfit. If you're picking two strikers (Henderson being one) then it's him or Goodwillie, who had a poorer season than last year as well, so I have some sympathy. I do think Goodwillie has been better but he'd probably need to score a hat-trick every week to be acknowledged by the SPFL.

From what I've seen, Scott Brown, Jamie Stevenson and Jason Brown (always plays Goodwillie well) from Peterhead, maybe Leitch who always plays well against Clyde but never seems to be mentioned by anyone else. Balatoni and Robbie McIntyre from Edinburgh, and I suppose Henderson would make his way in as well even though I'm not a fan. Johnston and Strapp from Annan, possibly Hooper. Cuddihy, Lang, Rankin (who was rubbish in CM but brilliant in a free role) from Clyde. Possibly McNiff given his ridiculous goal-scoring season, particularly given the importance of some of the strikes.

You maybe wouldn't put them in a TOTY individually but you would absolutely have a case for putting Grant/McStay as the best midfield pairing. No surprise he went for McStay given there was a feature on him on AVFTT and he's also the more "noticeable" if you aren't watching Clyde every week. Rumsby had a good season, generally rock solid, but should be nowhere near a divisional team of the year; he was never our "best" centre half when in three different pairings and any improvements in his distribution were down more to us binning Nicoll and having two guys who could receive the ball on the half-turn.

Not sure you can make a team of the year from all of that; a back six and one up top I think you'd end up with :lol:  Definitely not easy.

On 29/05/2019 at 14:45, C. Muir said:

I wouldn't say Currie's that fine a shot stopper, not sure why Rumsby's "distrubution from the back made him an obvious addition" as Lang's is much better and Rankin wasn't our 2nd top scorer, McNiff was. If I was being really petty you could argue that McStay's had a good season and not a "phenomenal" one but after all that I still wouldn't disagree with their places in the team.

McGurn the best keeper by some way, and Rumsby? Probably Cowden’s worst player last season, couldn’t pass a ball more than five yards.

10 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

McGurn the best keeper by some way, and Rumsby? Probably Cowden’s worst player last season, couldn’t pass a ball more than five yards.

With proper coaching rumsby had a good season, when he first signed I thought the same but Danny certainly got the best out of him.