2019/2020 Championship Predictor

On 04/06/2019 at 07:52, Big Shedboy said:

McPake is an unknown quantity as gaffer and he's got a lot of recruitment to do. It's a tall order and I think they'll do well to make the play-offs. United and the two Thistles will benefit from a bit of continuity 

Not so sure. McDonald was their saviour last year, hate him or love him.

Have both not seen budget cuts so will be caught up in the mid table crowd.

If Dundee US sort out their squad it's a nobrainer with the rest of us mid table.

But I dare say we have being saying that for a few seasons and I thought they were shit last term.

How often does the top scorer come from one of the worst teams in the league?  Sounds like Dobbie is a complete anomaly, and it shows how much QOTS rely on him.

How often does the top scorer come from one of the worst teams in the league?  Sounds like Dobbie is a complete anomaly, and it shows how much QOTS rely on him.

Didn’t Kane Hemmings finish as one of the top scorers a few years ago when Cowdenbeath finished second bottom?

I remember he and Greg Stewart ripped us to pieces in the play offs.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

We had to rely on him because Naysmith didn't sign a capable 2nd striker who could maybe chip in with a double figure of goals over the season. Hopefully Alan Johnston is able to address that.  

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

We had to rely on him because Naysmith didn't sign a capable 2nd striker who could maybe chip in with a double figure of goals over the season. Hopefully Alan Johnston is able to address that.  

Back at the end of January Queen of the South fans were both raving about that donkey Lyndon Dykes and wanted to hand Naysmith a contract extension as well - now it's suddenly all their fault that you were pish. Reckon I'll be burying this rather convenient about-face under a shovel load of salt then.

48 minutes ago, virginton said:

Back at the end of January Queen of the South fans were both raving about that donkey Lyndon Dykes and wanted to hand Naysmith a contract extension as well - now it's suddenly all their fault that you were pish. Reckon I'll be burying this rather convenient about-face under a shovel load of salt then.

At the end of January we were still sitting in a reasonably safe position so talk of extending Naysmith's contract wasn't that daft a shout.  It was after that,  following the failure of his January recruitments and seemingly changing to more negative tactics  that things went tits up.  As for Dykes,  he was rarely used as an out and out striker in a pairing up front with Dobbie. Naysmith often used Dobbie as lone striker up front with Dykes playing deeper. Having said that his goal contribution,  until the play-offs at least,  was piss poor as he seemed to lose confidence in front of goal.  

43 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Is Dykes the lanky one with bleached hair?  He's awful.

He started every game in the season just finished  iirc so the Naysmith (and Johnston)  must have rated him. As stated above his goal tally was poor but he was probably the top in assists for Dobbie's goals so brought a lot to the team in that respect.  He was a much improved player in workrate and attitude from the season before which the settling down of some off-field issues may have contributed to.  He signed by Livingston in January and was loaned back til the end of the season so others must see something in him also. 

Queens fans were frothing at the gash over Naysmith's January recruits as well. The record shows that your fanbase have displayed absolutely terrible judgment at every turn, so this week's brand new analysis should be safely filed in the bin where it belongs. 

I like Dykes but he’s an awful striker. He’s good for Dobbie as his size means he can win high balls and his good at the odd flick on but you’ll get maybe 4 or 5 goals a season from him.

Dundee United

Caley Thistle

Partick Thistle

Dundee

Ayr United

Morton

Queen Of The South

Dunfermline

Alloa

Arbroath

#banter aside,  are Dundee fans expecting to challenge for the title? McPake is an unknown quantity as gaffer and he's got a lot of recruitment to do. It's a tall order and I think they'll do well to make the play-offs. United and the two Thistles will benefit from a bit of continuity 

IMO

Hoping to challenge for the title, not expecting. With the number of new players we’ll have, lots of planets will need to align for us to win the league. I think most Dees are expecting a play-off place. Not unreasonable IMO.