Scotland v Jamaica - Hampden Friendly

Felt very positive leaving Hampden which isint often the prevailing feeling. The attendance was outstanding and the atomsphere was quite good for a friendly. The women will do us proud I have no doubt but if we defend like we did tonight England will test us apart, if we defend like we did against America a few months back and attack like we did today then we have a real chance to do well. 

I hope Steve Clarke and Shelly Kerr put the pride back in our national teams 

Some cracking goals tonight and questionable defending from the scots, cant think we can read much into team selection v England match.

don't get me wrong weir and little were a site to watch in the middle of the park. 

That was my first women’s match, and I absolutely loved it. I’m going over to Nice to watch them play England next week and I can’t fuckin wait.

The pace is slow but so much of the play is on the deck. Technically they’re a great team, super passing and dribbling. The winger on the right hand side had the fullback on toast. Little and Weir were superb in the middle, and that goal from Cuthbert was unreal.

There’s very little of the hopeless aimless hoofball you see in the men’s game at just about every level, and it made for a great watch.

We got down nice and early and there were massive queues. Shame that they weren’t able to sort out the organisation properly but I hope the fact that it was a good game, and a win, means that a lot of those kids will be engaged going forward. I know I’ll certainly be back.

My kids loved their first time at Hampden tonight. I fully expect the kids to ask me to take them to more after that.

I did laugh at my son though who said he preferred it to Killie games as there wasnt any swearing from the crowd. :)

Aye I wasn't there (although my pals who were were livid at the shitty organisation from the SFA) but I'm sold. The play from the highlights looked wonderful. That away top from us is an absolute belter too.

8 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Shambles having massive queues outside the ground after the game has kicked off. 

I think the weather being decent last night caught them on the hop - they'd sold 3500 advance tickets and apparently dished out well over 20,000 freebies hoping maybe a quarter of that total would show up.

In the event, the sun was splitting the sky and a decent proportion of folk holding freebies ended up going...you could tell they were struggling with the organisation even with wee daft things like the match programme...outside the ground I was told they were available inside, inside I was told they were available outside :) I picked one up at the Hampden media centre, but I only saw one other person with one in the whole stand...I suspect most copies will be getting sent back to get pulped soon.

22 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

That was my first women’s match, and I absolutely loved it. I’m going over to Nice to watch them play England next week and I can’t fuckin wait.

The pace is slow but so much of the play is on the deck. Technically they’re a great team, super passing and dribbling. The winger on the right hand side had the fullback on toast. Little and Weir were superb in the middle, and that goal from Cuthbert was unreal.

There’s very little of the hopeless aimless hoofball you see in the men’s game at just about every level, and it made for a great watch.

We got down nice and early and there were massive queues. Shame that they weren’t able to sort out the organisation properly but I hope the fact that it was a good game, and a win, means that a lot of those kids will be engaged going forward. I know I’ll certainly be back.

The lack of high balls is pretty much the same as you see at kids level because they don't have the ability to control it or kick it high or with enough power. Same applies, it's a necessity not by choice.

Edited by red23

9 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Really enjoyed the game last night. Ball was kept on the deck for the most part and when it wasn't it was inevitable that Erin Cuthbert had just played a cracking ball out wide. Much better than the last Scotland Women's game I was at a few years ago.

The rise in standard in just the past 4-5 years is remarkable. It's partly better young players coming in, but some of the established players have gone on to another level. I suspect it's mostly down to them going full-time in England and elsewhere.

Caroline Weir's a great example. She used to do my head in, charging up the wing head-first into dead ends, rarely having the composure to get her head up and find a pass and delivering awful crosses when she did. But now her range of passing is so good Shelley Kerr sees her as a bit wasted on the wing and has pulled her into the middle. We wouldn't be going to the World Cup if it weren't for her quality in the comeback to beat Poland 3-2.

Defence is the big problem area, which is a bit strange as we have two good centre halves who play for top clubs. 

5 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I think the weather being decent last night caught them on the hop - they'd sold 3500 advance tickets and apparently dished out well over 20,000 freebies hoping maybe a quarter of that total would show up.

In the event, the sun was splitting the sky and a decent proportion of folk holding freebies ended up going...you could tell they were struggling with the organisation even with wee daft things like the match programme...outside the ground I was told they were available inside, inside I was told they were available outside :) I picked one up at the Hampden media centre, but I only saw one other person with one in the whole stand...I suspect most copies will be getting sent back to get pulped soon.

I don't think the freebies was the problem, they were mostly behind the goals. The big queues were for sections O and P. They kept half of the turnstiles for folk paying cash, and told everyone else to queue at four turnstiles - but there were thousands in those sections with tickets bought in advance. I was told they didn't even open these turnstiles until 7.05pm. The queue ran right round behind the west stand. Eventually they let people with tickets use all the turnstiles, but that just caused a bit of a melee.

Once inside, the shambles continued. Hundreds, maybe thousands, paid cash to come into sections where most of the seats were allocated to folk with tickets. So folk were getting moved all over the place, and big clumps were forming at the top of the stairs as people tried to find places where they could get seats together. It was an obviously stupid thing to do, they should either have given them a ticket when they paid cash or put them into other sections.

I've ranted here before about the dangerously bad stewarding of Hampden, and this was the first time I've been back for anything bigger than a Queen's Park game since I felt properly unsafe with kids at the Poland game. The stewards don't have control of the ground and they lack the most basic understanding of crowd dynamics. I'll not be surprised if something goes really wrong one day.

12 hours ago, red23 said:

The lack of high balls is pretty much the same as you see at kids level because they don't have the ability to control it or kick it high or with enough power. Same applies, it's a necessity not by choice.

Did you see Scotland’s first goal?

Really enjoying watching Scotland's women these days. There's plenty of skill and organisation out there.
They're light years away from where they were even 5 years ago. 

I remember going to see Scotland v Sweden at Fir Park in 2014 - ended 1-4 Sweden. The gap between us and them, an established nation, was huge, despite Scotland beating everyone else in the group, and we lost out in the playoffs (while Sweden didn’t have a particularly guid World Cup). That Scotland side were dominated by Kim Little - thankfully, we’re seeing Erin Cuthbert already being one of Europe’s top players aged 20, while the experienced figures have utilised their experience brilliantly.

(Just as well Kim isn’t as dominant - she’s a Unionist [emoji17] though sadly so is Erin, at last check)

Throughly enjoyable.

22 hours ago, GordonS said:

I don't think the freebies was the problem, they were mostly behind the goals. The big queues were for sections O and P. They kept half of the turnstiles for folk paying cash, and told everyone else to queue at four turnstiles - but there were thousands in those sections with tickets bought in advance. I was told they didn't even open these turnstiles until 7.05pm. The queue ran right round behind the west stand. Eventually they let people with tickets use all the turnstiles, but that just caused a bit of a melee.

Once inside, the shambles continued. Hundreds, maybe thousands, paid cash to come into sections where most of the seats were allocated to folk with tickets. So folk were getting moved all over the place, and big clumps were forming at the top of the stairs as people tried to find places where they could get seats together. It was an obviously stupid thing to do, they should either have given them a ticket when they paid cash or put them into other sections.

I've ranted here before about the dangerously bad stewarding of Hampden, and this was the first time I've been back for anything bigger than a Queen's Park game since I felt properly unsafe with kids at the Poland game. The stewards don't have control of the ground and they lack the most basic understanding of crowd dynamics. I'll not be surprised if something goes really wrong one day.

Interesting to hear what was going on outside the South Stand, we strolled past the queues to the cash gates which were empty. 2 kids at 2 quid each plus me free with my SSC card.  Was able to access the padded seats without any hassle either. In fact the stewards started shepherding people into that area once things started getting really chaotic.

Edited by Lurkst