red ash pitches in junior football

wintonfan

saw it mentioned in another thread about clubs having red ash or blaes pitches in the juniors, how commonplace were they?? i think pollok and glasgow perthshire has ash pitches at one time, was there many others?? also i assume they were like muddy puddles in the wet and clouds of red dust in the dry

One sliding tackle per match per player. Taught players to stand up and no dive in. If you were really lucky u got to play wi a Mitre ball, oooooh the good old days. Spent many Sat nights in the bath wi a nail brush or scrubbing brush trying to get the red or black stuff out my skinned legs.

4 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

St Rochs pitch was a black ash pitch which the cheap version of red ash and just coal ground down lol

Played on one of these black in the day,it was drose.:)

Edited by happy

52 minutes ago, Lokloyal said:

Which ground is that?

Haghill Park.

The land is still there lying empty since the council took the land for housing and then never used it. Go to the bakery in Duke St heading east and take the next street on the left. It's now a dead end but at one time you could go straight on over the bridge. The ground was the other side  of the barrier facing West to East. The grey tenements in the distance are Todd St. Think orginally the railway line in the picture led into a gasworks.

5 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Haghill Park.

The land is still there lying empty since the council took the land for housing and then never used it. Go to the bakery in Duke St heading east and take the next street on the left. It's now a dead end but at one time you could go straight on over the bridge. The ground was the other side  of the barrier facing West to East. The grey tenements in the distance are Todd St. Think orginally the railway line in the picture led into a gasworks.

evap09.png

Can't say I remember any red ash pitches in juniors, certainly plenty of black ones and I started going to away games around 1954. I think they were mainly found in and around Glasgpw and a few have already been mentioned. Some were not really ash, simply lacking in grass due to overuse probably. Not slagging any club but Southcroft as I remember would never have been compared to a bowling green, Ashfield was very appropriately named and Maryhill Harp certainly was weed free. Almost all junior pitches, and many senior ones as well had goalmouths that were virtually bare all year round.

15 hours ago, onemanwolfpack said:

The first time I went to Vale of Clyde in the 80s I'm sure the 6 yard boxes were red ash. 

I think you are right. Something to do with the goal at the bottom end of the park being a bog so made both 6 yard boxes the same. 

Park was not great nick then but is decent surface these days. 

19 hours ago, onemanwolfpack said:

The first time I went to Vale of Clyde in the 80s I'm sure the 6 yard boxes were red ash. 

Similarly, I'd heard a couple of Glasgow area grounds used to be predominantly ash, but with a strip of grass up each wing.

Nae luck centre mid...

On 29/05/2019 at 18:12, Hillonearth said:

Similarly, I'd heard a couple of Glasgow area grounds used to be predominantly ash, but with a strip of grass up each wing.

Nae luck centre mid...

St Anthony  park near  Ibrox was exactly like this right until they moved. Perthshire had black ash well into  the seventies. St Rochs and I believe  Thorniewood had ash parks in the sixties.