League Cup Group E

Just posted about that earlier on SO. I was standing on the terracing right in the middle of my first ever hangover, watching maybe the worst game I have ever seen. Dumbarton were sitting bottom of the 3rd division at the time and it all came together to create the perfect storm that is one of the lowest couple of hours of my life [emoji23]
We went to a dive of a pub before the game and I remember being a bit surprised when I went up to buy a round at having to interrupt the barmaid telling a regular about her giving someone a blowjob the night before. She served us and then casually went back to her story.

I think it was called the Elephant and Castle which we noticed later were on Dumbarton's badge.

15 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

We went to a dive of a pub before the game and I remember being a bit surprised when I went up to buy a round at having to interrupt the barmaid telling a regular about her giving someone a blowjob the night before. She served us and then casually went back to her story.

I think it was called the Elephant and Castle which we noticed later were on Dumbarton's badge.

You'll be shocked to know that the Elephant & Castle is no longer in existence. 

The elephant and castle is reference to Dumbarton rock, which is said to look like an elephant with a castle on its back if you happen to be under the influence of mind altering drugs, which is most of the population of Dumbarton.

The elephant and castle is reference to Dumbarton rock, which is said to look like an elephant with a castle on its back if you happen to be under the influence of mind altering drugs, which is most of the population of Dumbarton.
Apart from the road in and up to the ground, is it a bit of a shithole? That's the only areas I've seen and thought it looked a lovely wee bit.

Oh well, that's my hopes of a return trip dashed. I have a slight memory of it being dark and dingy with minging wood panelling on the walls. We then got a taxi to the ground which dropped us at the home end (despite our Motherwell scarves) about three minutes before kick-off and we then found out we had a pretty lengthy walk around a scheme in the rain. The game was diabolical too so I'm looking for a better return trip tomorrow!

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Apart from the road in and up to the ground, is it a bit of a shithole? That's the only areas I've seen and thought it looked a lovely wee bit.

Ach, in reality I don't think it's too much different from any other town in Scotland its size. Its got areas that are complete shitholes and some really quite nice areas. 

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Oh well, that's my hopes of a return trip dashed. I have a slight memory of it being dark and dingy with minging wood panelling on the walls. We then got a taxi to the ground which dropped us at the home end (despite our Motherwell scarves) about three minutes before kick-off and we then found out we had a pretty lengthy walk around a scheme in the rain. The game was diabolical too so I'm looking for a better return trip tomorrow!

Plenty other shithole pubs you could visit instead (The Lennox & The Burgh Bar being not far from the E&C - the Stags Head at Dumbarton East station is your best bet though). You can taxi to the ground safe in the knowledge that there's no scheme to navigate round, if you're dropped at the wrong end it's just a short walk to the other end.

Weather forecast is for a hot day. I think I will head to to coast and then head inland for the Annan game.

First visit liked trips to Gretna pity they went down the shoot.

Hope the Ton are not in holiday mood.

I’m looking forward to my first ever trip to Dumbarton. I’d only change our team for one of the remaining two games but I’d like to see Cole and Long get a chance up front, and Sloth to get some minutes as well.

Are Motherwell expecting more than 800 to travel tonight?  I see our safety officer is preparing a section of the home end for any overspill, but I really didn't think that many would be interested in this game. Can only see about 200 home fans being there.

We tend to take a decent support when it's a ground/team that we've not been at for a while (or ever). That said, a nice saturday in Dumfries with all of those factors, we took 850-odd, so it would be surprising if we exceed that midweek IMO...

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Are Motherwell expecting more than 800 to travel tonight?  I see our safety officer is preparing a section of the home end for any overspill, but I really didn't think that many would be interested in this game. Can only see about 200 home fans being there.

As Swello says, they brought over 800 to Dumfries last weekend so I wouldn't be astonished, though presumably it's less likely midweek. They looked like an attractive potentially high scoring team too. I think you'll need to back your back 9 tonight and pray!

That's good gives us a bit of leg room if needed instead of being squashed in like sardines at QOS.

Is the social club under the stand still there and open to away fans??

Annan away is a potential banana skin this evening, but if we can manage a win by a few goals then we'll have progressing to the next round pretty much in our own hands on Saturday. Direct attacking is the best approach seeing as we're clearly a rabble at the back right now. 

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As Swello says, they brought over 800 to Dumfries last weekend so I wouldn't be astonished, though presumably it's less likely midweek. They looked like an attractive potentially high scoring team too. I think you'll need to back your back 9 tonight and pray!

It'll be brackets (BRACKETS) tonight, of that I have no doubt.

Just now, santheman said:

That's good gives us a bit of leg room if needed instead of being squashed in like sardines at QOS.

Is the social club under the stand still there and open to away fans??

We have a bar but I think it will only be open to home fans tonight. Your best bet is the Stags Head at Dumbarton East train station or the Rock Bowling Club which is a 2 minute walk past the ground.

It'll be brackets (BRACKETS) tonight, of that I have no doubt.

We have a bar but I think it will only be open to home fans tonight. Your best bet is the Stags Head at Dumbarton East train station or the Rock Bowling Club which is a 2 minute walk past the ground.

Well I have put quite a few bob on Motherwell -2. Getting odds against given previous results in this group is quite something. 

But it is also a sure fire way to guarantee anything other than a Motherwell win by 3 goals. 

I will go for 4-1, but because I am betting for my team 3-1 or 2-0 Well win to have me despairing despite a win.......

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Can't see us bringing as many as 800 but probably about 600-700 so hopefully any overspill seating will mean we don't have to worry about the hassle of fitting folk into individual seats. Always seems to cause mayhem for some reason. Nice night and a bit of optimism should help boost our numbers.

I'm going to head along but will be driving so won't be able to try out your pub suggestions - thanks anyway.