League Cup Group E

18 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I can’t make it tonight but I’ll be content if I can come on here to read that we’ve not been shambolic or been given a hiding and that there’s positives to take into the league campaign at our level.

Not expecting much from tonight or the group in general. Hopefully it gives Duffy a better idea of how the team works etc.

What a shocker from Dumbarton. The worse derby showing that I have witnessed.

I don't usually take in non-season ticket games but was down at Greenock today and thought I would get a view of our 2019/20 motley crew.

Sadly Sons were so poor I am no further forward in accessing how this season will go but I suspect Arbroath. Ayr  . Alloa and Queen's will spend most of the season below us.

Not sure about Grant and if McLean can go the full season so Waddle is needed to assist this department or any other suitable resource we can secure.

The bunch Duffy has put together don't give me much hope for you Son supporters but maybe the standard will be poor in L1 so best wishes.   

Edited by Paisley Ton
I have seen the future

I didn't mind the queue for the ticket, what I thought was odd was coming out of the car park I was directed back to the left and by the ticket office to go through the tunnel and find the main road. Seemed a pointless diversion past pedestrians when the car park exit is so close to the main road.

Not really any point in putting that shambles into words tonight.

So what about the other aspects of the evening?

Referee awful. Why there were shrieks at some
of his decisions from the Morton fans I don’t know, he gave them everything, not that any of his decisions had any bearing on the result
or score whatsoever.

Having to queue to get a ticket was as frustrating as it was preposterous. Why on earth did a game like this need to be ticketed as opposed to pay at the gate?? Madness

No cold drinks at the shop at half time other than Capri suns. Awful.

Pie was decent taste-wise although lukewarm, poor stuff.

At least the weather was nice and the stewards wishing fans a safe journey home was a nice touch at the end.

7 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Comfortable for us that 2,nd half was as bad as I have seen Queens play in years deserved nothing .Think each player was trying to be as crap as Paton no idea why we signed him the only thing he done was set up the Annan 2,nd goal .

Nice and easy this and not being negative that team that played tonight will definitely get us relagated huge job for AJ we have  no pace anywhere in the team are lightweight in midfield 

But what about the seagulls?

6 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

What a shocker from Dumbarton. The worse derby showing that I have witnessed.

I don't usually take in non-season ticket games but was down at Greenock today and thought I would get a view of our 2019/20 motley crew.

Sadly Sons were so poor I am no further forward in accessing how this season will go but I suspect Arbroath. Ayr  . Alloa and Queen's will spend most of the season below us.

Not sure about Grant and if McLean can go the full season so Waddle is needed to assist this department or any other suitable resource we can secure.

The bunch Duffy has put together don't give me much hope for you Son supporters but maybe the standard will be poor in L2 so best wishes.   

You're 12 months too early!!

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well thats just bollocks. Paton made a horrible error on their 2nd goal. No denying that. But he had a big part in our 3rd goal too.

And whilst nobody could claim our 2nd half was remotely good enough its not three months since we were worse at home to Thistle.

Appreciate I am clutching at straws a bit but some of our football for spells in the first half was very good. Why we played into Annan's hands by launching long balls towards Swinglehurst 2nd half I have no idea. 

All true but I doubt 8 points will be enough for one of the 4 best 2nd spots anyway. Hope I am wrong.

At least or penalties were good, unlike 2 years ago when we lost to Accies and EK on pens.

You can't compare a poor Annan team to Partick.

Do you think Paton will get better with more game time not chance in hell somehow Kidd will look like a footballer sometime soon Oliver will suddenly become 6feet able to hold the ball up for Dobbie our midfield will suddenly be able to pass the ball forward  and our defence will learn to defend a corner but as you say we scored 5 pens so all is good !!!

First half Dumbarton where chasing shadows. It was a case of anything that could go wrong did go wrong.

Morton were simply flying and you were starting to wonder if we would hit double figures.

Second half Dumbarton seemed to be slightly more organised and we didn't press as much. A dreadful mix up in the Dumbarton defence and Bob McHugh was on it scoring our 6th goal of the game.

Nesbitt was on fire, Sutton lead the line well, Jacobs commanded the midfield and the back 3 were just composed and mopped everything up .  

Negatives - Keeper distribution was awful. Muirhead looked as if he was out for a Sunday stroll and offered nothing when he came on.

Some decent quality loans to compliment the squad and we'll have a good season 

6 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Do you think Paton will get better with more game time not chance in hell somehow Kidd will look like a footballer sometime soon Oliver will suddenly become 6feet able to hold the ball up for Dobbie our midfield will suddenly be able to pass the ball forward  and our defence will learn to defend a corner but as you say we scored 5 pens so all is good !!!

I never said all was good. In fact I specifically said the 2nd half wasnt remotely good enough. I thought we were doing fine till half time and one unmarked corner apart Annan hadnt had a look in.

I took issue with your usual 'Wur doomed" attitude in claiming Paton did nothing other than give away a goal when he quite clearly had a massive part in our 3rd goal. For what its worth I thought Paton did well 1st half but dropped right out of the game after that error. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

9 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Not duffys fault if it’s individual errors though?

Well, Duffy signed the individuals and picked the team. He can't sit back and say "well they messed up" when he's throwing young lads with no experience into games like that. Crawford and Quitongo haven't played any senior games before Saturday, IMO putting them out there with Morgyn Neill and Ryan McGeever, neither of whom are evidently capable of organising a defence, was a stupid, stupid move from Duffy. McMillan seems the only defender we have capable of opening his mouth, he needs to play every week but I worry for us at the back and we have Ryan Tierney as a lone striker just now. It's just nowhere near good enough, as most of us have been saying for weeks. Now confidence will be shot to pieces and we need to try and pick ourselves up for Motherwell and Queens. I don't even want to think what Dobbie will do to Neill...

It's amazing what other people see. When the ball was played in to Oliver's feet I can't recall a time where he failed to hold onto it and find a pass. For the size of him he held the defenders off very well last night. We need a midfielder who will find a forward pass because Oliver struggled to turn for a forward pass. If there was an AM there to receive a pass and then find Dobbie with the next one it would be an effective system. He'll never become 6 feet but the team know he's small so they should be playing it in to his feet and not lumping it forward. Ludicrous to suggest that's Oliver's fault.

There's no danger we're getting out the group now. Hopefully AJ uses the remaining games the figure out a system that will work. A good start is taking Kidd out the side.

Lewis Kidd will never get a chance in some people eyes ( you will be one ) he is been asked to play in position not natural for him but he gets forward breaks up play , the one thing he does not hide and it took guts to step up and hit 5 pen cause a few fans would be hoping he missed so they can slag him more so maybe we should give the guy a break and support him not torture him .

It's amazing what other people see. When the ball was played in to Oliver's feet I can't recall a time where he failed to hold onto it and find a pass. For the size of him he held the defenders off very well last night. We need a midfielder who will find a forward pass because Oliver struggled to turn for a forward pass. If there was an AM there to receive a pass and then find Dobbie with the next one it would be an effective system. He'll never become 6 feet but the team know he's small so they should be playing it in to his feet and not lumping it forward. Ludicrous to suggest that's Oliver's fault.
Oliver's best attribute when he was with us was his hold up play. He has excellent upper body strength for his size. If anything he would hold on to the ball too long a lot of the time when there were passes on and it would ruin the attack.

Lewis Kidd will never get a chance in some people eyes ( you will be one ) he is been asked to play in position not natural for him but he gets forward breaks up play , the one thing he does not hide and it took guts to step up and hit 5 pen cause a few fans would be hoping he missed so they can slag him more so maybe we should give the guy a break and support him not torture him .
Can you stop pretending it's an unnatural position for him? He came to us the first time around as a midfielder. I'm pretty sure he played a good number of games in midfield for Falkirk. The issue isn't that it's not his natural position, the issue is he's an awful midfielder at this level. I'm not sure what game you were watching last night but I can't recall him ever getting forward. He intercepted a pass once but I can't recall him putting in any tackles. He does a lot of running about but I can't recall a single good thing he contributed last night other than his penalty. I gave him a chance the last time he was with us and have said on numerous occasions that his best position is RWB and it's no surprise he got a move to a bigger club after playing that position for us over a long period. I won't give him a chance when he plays midfield because I've seen him enough times in midfield to know he's not good enough at this level in there. How far down the league and how many awful performances will it take you to 'stop giving him a chance' out of interest?
Oliver's best attribute when he was with us was his hold up play. He has excellent upper body strength for his size. If anything he would hold on to the ball too long a lot of the time when there were passes on and it would ruin the attack.
Yeah that's what I witnessed last night. I commented more than once that he must have a helluva strength for such a wee guy. He held the ball very well last night. I'm baffled some people used that to slag him off when it was his biggest attribute last night.

1 hour ago, lowland star said:

Are you really suggesting that some of our fans would have wanted Kidd to miss? Just to slag him off? 

Grow up. 

I was impressed at Oliver's strength and hold up play last night.  He also did well to find Dobbie in a crowded box for his tap-in.  That along with the confident performance of Connor Murray were about the only positives.

McCrorie seems adept at the "sweeper keeper" role expected of modern goalies, is very vocal and is impressive at releasing the ball early.  All of which are cancelled out by the fact he is currently averaging 3 goals conceded per game.

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I never said all was good. In fact I specifically said the 2nd half wasnt remotely good enough. I thought we were doing fine till half time and one unmarked corner apart Annan hadnt had a look in.

I took issue with your usual 'Wur doomed" attitude in claiming Paton did nothing other than give away a goal when he quite clearly had a massive part in our 3rd goal. For what its worth I thought Paton did well 1st half but dropped right out of the game after that error. 

Highlights are up posted by Annan. Paton also had a fair contribution on our 1st goal too when I see it again.

I think we've a shout for fouls on the 1st and 3rd Annan goals. I didn't notice Holty getting hauled to the ground at the time at the corner for the 1st but he was. That's why it's a free header. Personally I think Nade probably fouled Kilday in the build up to the 3rd but others may just think he was stronger. Kilday himself didn't complain much about it.

Annan's keeper didn't cover himself in glory at either our 2nd or 3rd goals either to be fair.

For a championship team to lose 3 goals at home to a league 2 team says it all really.

I know which manager will be happier.

Dobbie  better stay injury free !

Oh the seagulls,yip they must be breeding like hell on all the scraps o food - a 2nd nickname for Queens or will we leave that to Brighton ?