League Cup Group E

Just now, port-ton said:

Weird to think that Rico Quitongo grew up playing football with Jose and Jai yet looks like he's never seen a football before in his life.

I thought our  full backs were miles better than our centre backs. Make of that what you will...

Absolutely delighted that diddy McGeever didn’t sign with us. McLean and Grant looked fairly comfortable, although still had a couple of brain fart moments. Hard to judge where we’re at after tonight as Dumbarton were beyond horrific. Really impressed with the directness of the full backs and Cadden & Nesbitt. Sutton looked far better than Muirhead. Jacobs and Lyon did well in the middle too. Friday will be a much harder test. 

Just hope we don’t get the usual scudding at Fir Park like previous games there. 

Well that was terrible. Morton were stronger and better than us all over. Six individual howlers for the goals, all punished ruthlessly

Lots for Duffy and co to work on, not many pass marks for us tonight

Brennan - 3 - faultless for the first 5 (five) goals and made one or two decent saves but no idea what he was doing for the last one. Kicking very suspect and little command of his area

Quitongo - 3 - flashes of ability going forward and hard in the tackle but defensively suspect and positionally a lot to learn

mcgeever - 3 - a big unit but very suspect unless in the air, bit of a wild performance, hope he improves

Morgan Neil - 4 - good header for the goal and he’ll be fine in the air at our level but also suspect on the ground and a bit all over the place for a number of Morton goals/attacks

Crawford - 5 - positionally decent and a solid lad but decision making needs improvement, far from the worst

Hutton - 3 - passenger, impacted on the game very little, overrun several times

Carswell - 5 - put in a few hard tackles, tried to pass it about a bit but little options for him

McLuskey - 3 - a couple of decent runs/efforts but largely brushed off the ball too easily, will need to improve massively

Langan - 2 - game passed him by largely, couldn’t impose himself on it and culpable for in number of the goals

Crossan - 4 - lively and could be good at our level but tonight brushed off it far too easily, poor decision making and poor final ball

Tierney - 4 - worked hard and had a couple of decent flashes but he too had a poor final ball and had very little help

I can’t make it tonight but I’ll be content if I can come on here to read that we’ve not been shambolic or been given a hiding and that there’s positives to take into the league campaign at our level.

Not expecting much from tonight or the group in general. Hopefully it gives Duffy a better idea of how the team works etc.

Hmmm, were there any positive to take from tonight for those who were there?

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Jacobs scoring as well? Call it a day Sons...

Pretty comfortable for us even though we are only playing with 10 men again. Conceding from a corner again not great. Thought there was a foul in there for us though.

Comfortable for us that 2,nd half was as bad as I have seen Queens play in years deserved nothing .Think each player was trying to be as crap as Paton no idea why we signed him the only thing he done was set up the Annan 2,nd goal .

Nice and easy this and not being negative that team that played tonight will definitely get us relagated huge job for AJ we have  no pace anywhere in the team are lightweight in midfield 

Comfortable for us that 2,nd half was as bad as I have seen Queens play in years deserved nothing .Think each player was trying to be as crap as Paton no idea why we signed him the only thing he done was set up the Annan 2,nd goal .
Nice and easy this and not being negative that team that played tonight will definitely get us relagated huge job for AJ we have  no pace anywhere in the team are lightweight in midfield 
I never commented on the second half. The first half was very comfortable for us.

Win our next 2 games and we’re through to the next round.
Some other unconvincing performances tonight by so called big teams.....St Johnstone beaten by Montrose, ICT lose on penalties to Peterhead, Dundee Utd scrape past Stenny by the odd goal!
The season hasn’t even started yet and it’ll take a few games for these players to gell and for Johnston to work his Magic!

17 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Hmmm, were there any positive to take from tonight for those who were there?

For me the only things I would say was we were slightly less horrific up each side in the 2nd half. In the first half the right hand side really struggled and the Quitongo got caught a couple of times in the 2nd half. Should be okay against most teams in our own league though.

The whole middle of the side was awful. Didn't even think Carswell or Hutton were offering anything tonight. Centre backs made a whole host of errors and Hutton, Carswell and (worst of all) Langan were toothless. Especially when we needed 2 of our most experienced players to be competitive.

Up front I kinda felt sorry for Tierney because he had no chance as a lone striker against McLean and Grant.

I think Morton will be lowish mid table in the championship this year because they don't have any standouts in their squad yet. The negative in that is that it shows you have far our standards have dropped that they won so comfortably.

Some other unconvincing performances tonight by so called big teams.....St Johnstone beaten by Montrose, ICT lose on penalties to Peterhead, Dundee Utd scrape past Stenny by the odd goal!
The season hasn’t even started yet and it’ll take a few games for these players to gell and for Johnston to work his Magic!

Yep I’m confident of beating a Morton team who battered Dumbarton tonight. That would be the same Dumbarton team who beat Annan at the weekend [emoji102][emoji45]

30 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Well thats just bollocks. Paton made a horrible error on their 2nd goal. No denying that. But he had a big part in our 3rd goal too.

And whilst nobody could claim our 2nd half was remotely good enough its not three months since we were worse at home to Thistle.

Appreciate I am clutching at straws a bit but some of our football for spells in the first half was very good. Why we played into Annan's hands by launching long balls towards Swinglehurst 2nd half I have no idea. 

22 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

All true but I doubt 8 points will be enough for one of the 4 best 2nd spots anyway. Hope I am wrong.

At least or penalties were good, unlike 2 years ago when we lost to Accies and EK on pens.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

All true but I doubt 8 points will be enough for one of the 4 best 2nd spots anyway. Hope I am wrong.

At least or penalties were good, unlike 2 years ago when we lost to Accies and EK on pens.

I wasn’t there tonight as abroad on holiday but it sounds like those straws will be tough to hang on to. Based on what I saw at East Fife we have a real issue in midfield. Out back 4 seems decent for the level we are at but 6 goals conceded in 2 games is poor. As you have alluded to previously Jacobs will be missed this season and those happy that Dykes has gone are frankly delusional.

We really need to sign some quality in midfield. Otherwise a desperate season awaits IMHO

Not really any point in putting that shambles into words tonight.

So what about the other aspects of the evening?

Referee awful. Why there were shrieks at some
of his decisions from the Morton fans I don’t know, he gave them everything, not that any of his decisions had any bearing on the result
or score whatsoever.

Having to queue to get a ticket was as frustrating as it was preposterous. Why on earth did a game like this need to be ticketed as opposed to pay at the gate?? Madness

No cold drinks at the shop at half time other than Capri suns. Awful.

Pie was decent taste-wise although lukewarm, poor stuff.

At least the weather was nice and the stewards wishing fans a safe journey home was a nice touch at the end.