League Cup Group E

11 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Morton should just give up going to Fir Park. I think that’s 0-3, 0-2, 0-6 and 0-4 (x2) in my time supporting Morton. Ouch.

One of the reasons I didn't go. Just humpings at Fir Park.

8 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Wind it in eh

We were good fun. It looks like we'll remain good fun. Polworth had some nice touches, Hylton was great value. 

Seedorf is proper cartoon fast, I love it.

I'd also like to highlight my absolute love for Declan Gallagher.

It's a fair statement to say we should be beating a lower league side at home and to take issue with that from every thing else I said is pretty pathetic imo, though each to their own.

I enjoyed watching us tonight, especially after half time and we have some far more encouraging signs this year at this stage than we did twelve months ago.

Edited by MJC

It's early in the season for a Club like ours. We don't have a big squad and that couldn't typified more than tonight when McLean went off -we simply had no one to come in at CB.

Our next  signings have to be 2 CB's and a keeper. The young lad we have now is just too inexperienced.  Why our new goal-keeping coach thought he was of a sufficient standard for the Championship is mystifying.   Very poor judgement there by our coaching staff.. 

Motherwell had some real quality out wide and up front. Our makeshift defence were chasing shadows at times. They could do very well this season.

For us, the remaining signings whether it be loans or permanent players have to be experienced and have a bit of quality about them.

That was a canter. I for one was shocked that Brian McLean hobbled off injured, handy hint for any team- don't count on him to build a defence around as he is made of a particularly fragile type of glass.

45 minutes ago, MJC said:

It's a fair statement to say we should be beating a lower league side at home and to take issue with that from every thing else I said is pretty pathetic imo, though each to their own.

I enjoyed watching us tonight, especially after half time and we have some far more encouraging signs this year at this stage than we did twelve months ago.

Seething ^^^^^

All early days stuff - but what I like is that we are tying to keep what made the 2nd half of the season a lot of fun - using the wide-men all the time and basically seeing if the fullbacks are up to the challenge (which they haven't been in the first 2 games). 

Hylton looks like a nice cross between Gboly and Marvin in his style and Seedorf looks like one of these players that needs to be used properly (ie-  get him one on one against a fullback or get the ball ahead of him). Ilic looks like he could be a interesting player - he had a great time against a tiring Morton and looks like he's got a bit of quality.

Polworth showed some nice touches- would like to see him in a more competitive midfield battle. Gallagher looks like he is going to be proven option that we hoped we were getting.

All that said, Morton were ultimately not great tonight and so everything has a disclaimer at the moment that games against Dumbarton and Annan aren't going to remove. Really looking forward to the first day of the season at this point....

Mid July against lower league opposition is never an ideal time to judge how we're going to fare once the league starts but we've seen in the past two seasons the importance of using these games to build up a bit of momentum and confidence and by giving our latest signings the chance to bed in. We've seen opposite sides of that particular scale over the past two seasons; we had a solid 100% run at this stage in 2017/18 and we went on to have a good start to the season with the added bonus of going all the way to the League Cup Final. Last season we saw the opposite, with us scraping through our group, losing to Stranraer and fielding a strike partnership of Curtis Main and Connor Sammon. And that set the tone for at least the first six months of the season.

Only time will tell if we've got it right this year in terms of our summer transfer business, but the early signs are more encouraging than last year and we appear to have addressed areas of the team that badly needed addressed this time last year.

Edited by MJC

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Signing a 23 year old goalie with 9 starts in his entire career looking like a masterstroke from Morton.

He has more starts than that. He played pretty much an entire season last year, just not at a level that the stats sites particularly recognise. 

He struggled to look like a Junior level keeper lost night. 

10 hours ago, Swello said:

Hylton looks like a nice cross between Gboly and Marvin in his style and Seedorf looks like one of these players that needs to be used properly (ie-  get him one on one against a fullback or get the ball ahead of him). Ilic looks like he could be a interesting player - he had a great time against a tiring Morton and looks like he's got a bit of quality.

I thought there were heavy shades of Ojamaa with Hylton as well.

I've been pretty sceptical about Ilic, largely down to the weirdness around him signing but he looked good when he came on last night. A nice counter-balance to the other wingers who seem absolutely up for relentlessly terrorising full-backs.

That Morton GK is utter mince. If he is going to be your number 1 then you’re in bother.

Thought we played well, but we were quite open at the back and a better team would have punished us.

I’m not getting excited yet. I’ll wait another month or so before putting on my bet of us winning the treble.