League cup group G

Ferguson was ok but not convinced he's quite cut out for this level, at least yet. Game all felt a bit samesy to how we were playing at the end of last season. Stranraer were definitely up for it (derby indeed) and if they had a bit more quality would probably have done us over.

Good wee win today, did what was needed and scored 5 goals which should be enough to have us seeded for the next round.

Ricki Lamie is certainly taking full advantage of the gap left by Dec and Craig, knocking in 3 goals for us already.

Big Pepe gives me the fear for when the league starts, couple of very slack passes along the edge of our box today, got away with it against Berwick but a Premiership striker would be accepting those kind of gifts and knocking them into the net. He is a big solid defender and shows he has pace, but ffs Cece, don't take risks like that next week against Motherwell.

Souda didn't score but he put in plenty of energy down the left wing and had a couple of assists, good corner for Lithgow's goal, planted it right on his napper. Thought Devlin had a good game too, getting down the right hand side.

Nice to see Lawson back, first contribution was to give the ball away, then foul the boy to stop him breaking on us, but soon got into the game and made far more driving runs and direct passes than Barkley had, though Barkley is a good solid defending midfielder. Doesn't give us the same momentum in attack that Lawson does though.

Also impressed with the effort Crawford showed, never stopped running, chasing down balls. And thought Sibbald had a really good game, good to see him scoring a brace as well.

All in all a satisfying result, which sets us up nicely for the league opener next weekend.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Good wee win today, did what was needed and scored 5 goals which should be enough to have us seeded for the next round.

Ricki Lamie is certainly taking full advantage of the gap left by Dec and Craig, knocking in 3 goals for us already.

Big Pepe gives me the fear for when the league starts, couple of very slack passes along the edge of our box today, got away with it against Berwick but a Premiership striker would be accepting those kind of gifts and knocking them into the net. He is a big solid defender and shows he has pace, but ffs Cece, don't take risks like that next week against Motherwell.

Souda didn't score but he put in plenty of energy down the left wing and had a couple of assists, good corner for Lithgow's goal, planted it right on his napper. Thought Devlin had a good game too, getting down the right hand side.

Nice to see Lawson back, first contribution was to give the ball away, then foul the boy to stop him breaking on us, but soon got into the game and made far more driving runs and direct passes than Barkley had, though Barkley is a good solid defending midfielder. Doesn't give us the same momentum in attack that Lawson does though.

Also impressed with the effort Crawford showed, never stopped running, chasing down balls. And thought Sibbald had a really good game, good to see him scoring a brace as well.

All in all a satisfying result, which sets us up nicely for the league opener next weekend.

Ffs.

Marvin Bartley makes us a better team, he gives us aggression and bite in the middle. Crawford is like having another little Pittman in the middle what an absolute beauty of a signing. Bartley is the one that keeps the tempo and keeps us ticking along, introducing Lawson into it set us off pace for about 20 minutes. Lawson is good but for me Bartley is a consistent starter never to be dropped.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Ffs.

Marvin Bartley makes us a better team, he gives us aggression and bite in the middle. Crawford is like having another little Pittman in the middle what an absolute beauty of a signing. Bartley is the one that keeps the tempo and keeps us ticking along, introducing Lawson into it set us off pace for about 20 minutes. Lawson is good but for me Bartley is a consistent starter never to be dropped.

fucking hell. ;)

Disagree ATLIS, noticed a big difference when Lawson came on, the tempo stepped up in attack and he was far more direct than Bartley, who slowed everything down. Bartley is more cautious but for me, we didn't need to be against Berwick, it was when we went direct with fast passes and driving runs that we opened them up and had shots at their goal. Dunno what you're getting your knickers in a twist about, I wasn't having a pop at Bartley, I like him, but I thought we looked better with Lawson's more direct play.

34 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

fucking hell. ;)

Disagree ATLIS, noticed a big difference when Lawson came on, the tempo stepped up in attack and he was far more direct than Bartley, who slowed everything down. Bartley is more cautious but for me, we didn't need to be against Berwick, it was when we went direct with fast passes and driving runs that we opened them up and had shots at their goal. Dunno what you're getting your knickers in a twist about, I wasn't having a pop at Bartley, I like him, but I thought we looked better with Lawson's more direct play.

I actually think if we are playing a defensive 2 that Bartley and Lawson would work well together, Bartley will break the play up and do the dirty side of the game and Lawson can get the ball forward quicker. 

We really are spoiled with midfielders, add Crawford who I really like, Pittman who is 1st name on the team sheet, Jacobs, Sibbald it’s tough to choose just 3x 

A good headache to have. 

Edited by andylivi1

I actually thought it was the change of Lawless and Miller coming on that changed the game.
Miller after both second half goals went straight to the net picked the ball up and urged us to get going asap.
Miller and dykes cannot play up front on their own though. But miller did win everything in the air today and tbh I'd like to see him start more games.