League cup group G

The worst tackle by far in the entire game was by an Ayr player. Durnan a bit silly but something you see week in week out with a yellow card given. I would presume we will appeal and get it reduced to a yellow.

I’ve no idea what Durnan thought he could accomplish by doing that but either way it’s a yellow for both players and you move on.

Moffats tackle is bad and cynical but still only a yellow card.

I’ve no idea why he’s given a penalty either. Both players put a foot up to win the ball and both come back down. It’s just nothing tbh and play could quite easily have gone on.

Maybe the ref got fed up with the Falkirk players whining and bitchin about nearly every decision that went against them he finally got pissed off and upgraded Durnan to a red just to shut them up?
Yeah, thats certainly a valid point when discussing whether or not a refereeing decision was good or bad.

Thanks for the input.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’ve no idea what Durnan thought he could accomplish by doing that but either way it’s a yellow for both players and you move on.

I’ve no idea why he’s given a penalty either. Both players put a foot up to win the ball and both come back down. It’s just nothing tbh and play could quite easily have gone on.

Agree mate although I think in other leagues like the english premiership Moffat would've been straight red. We tend to be a bit more lenient up here.  No idea why he he made that tackle as telfer was still a mile from your goals.  I thought the keeper was unlucky to get booked as he didnt really do much top be honest. Durnan was silly trying to block his run and deserved his yellow.  As I said that ref has previous giving dodgy pens in games with us. Guy isnt up to being a top flight ref simple as that.

Barry Cook is as bad as there is.

Kind of spoiled the game a bit in the sense of judging where we are as a team. We were clearly the better side first half so based on that I think we will do fine this season.

Our squad is far too small though

9 minutes ago, malkyshotton said:

Maybe the ref got fed up with the Falkirk players whining and bitchin about nearly every decision that went against them he finally got pissed off and upgraded Durnan to a red just to shut them up?

Yeah I'm sure that was it. You get D'jaffo giving a balanced view on the game and then you get this. FFS.

Yeah, thats certainly a valid point when discussing whether or not a refereeing decision was good or bad.

Thanks for the input.

That was my point though. Wasn’t a red card but referees are human and players having a go all match must have an influence on decisions. I’m not saying that’s what happened here though.

Just now, malkyshotton said:

That was my point though. Wasn’t a red card but referees are human and players having a go all match must have an influence on decisions. I’m not saying that’s what happened here though.

Christ Falkirk were no worse than Ayr at complaining about decisions. To think that influenced a ref instead of just accepting the fact he's a hopeless ref is nonsensical.

Just now, malkyshotton said:

Its awful refereeing. It needs to called out as nothing other than that. Durnan, it seems has been told he is sent off for headbutting someone. On the first watch, thats what I was expecting and was watching his head which never motioned towards Doohan. Then I read the stuff about a swipe. His hand moves. It moves, but nothing more. Lets put that hand movement into the context of last seasons compliance officer debacles, and the rules surrounding excessive force or "brutality". There is no valid case to argue thats a red card. Its a shocker of a decision plain and simple, with no qualifications.

So you’re saying a referee couldn’t be influenced by players constantly having a go at him. Bollocks. For the record it was the linesman that influenced the referee and my original post was tongue in cheek.

10 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I certainly can't be fucked with it and Livi just confirmed that I'll not be breaking my neck to go to games, better things to do with my time than f**k about queuing or looking for codes on my phone or laptop..

You must’ve missed a lot of good cup games over the years. 

To be honest they should probably just keep one cash gate for just now to appease the technophobes.

2 minutes ago, malkyshotton said:

So you’re saying a referee couldn’t be influenced by players constantly having a go at him. Bollocks.

I am happy to agree it might happen. Are you happy to agree that its completely irrelevant in assessing the referees performance, and no excuse whatsoever for making such a shite decision? Because it is irrelevant and it isn't an excuse.

I’m happy to agree that the ref made a couple of errors but not in the case of the red card as he was influenced by the linesman who told him something that merited a red card. Don’t think the ref was the worst I’ve seen and not the best either.

The red is a ridiculous decision. Absolutely f**k all in it. Penalty is a joke too, but saved so doesn't matter. Ref had a poor game overall.
You're right, and any Ayr fan justifying that decision should simply be ignored whenever discussing any refereeing decisions involving their own team.

At the time I thought the penalty was the right call, and that doolan (I think) dived in but the highlights show a complete 50/50 and there's no foul there.

The bust up after the penalty looked much worse than anything that happened in the run up to the red card.

All in all Ayr got very fortunate yesterday. But we all know that sometimes you play well and get nothing. That's football, and it was a massive three points.

For the record:

1) Barry Cook is a terrible ref. 

2) Moffats was rightly a yellow for a cynical foul!

3) Durnan should never have challenged the goalie for the ball and then is a silly boy with the afters as he gives the ref a decision to make. Its a yellow for me.

4) Penalty decision is bizarre. See point 1.

Finally, as for hard man Buchannan he went doon like a sack of tatties when wee Moorey kicked him in the nuts last season against Morton. If anyone has a gif please post. 🤣

Anyway....

Good little weeks break for the squad now, couple of training sessions and we’ll be ready for the Stranraer game. Think a win should see us through as one of the best runners up (unless there is a shock elsewhere). Would imagine we’ll have 1 or 2 changes with Adams and Ferguson probably playing.

Doohan 

Ferguson Adams Bell Harvie 

McCowan Docherty Murdoch Ross

Moffat Doolan

Subs: Hare-Reid, Roscoe Geggan, Muirhead, Kerr, Kelly, Forrest 

3-0 with Moffat, Doolan and McCowan all on the scoresheet.

40 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

You must’ve missed a lot of good cup games over the years. 

To be honest they should probably just keep one cash gate for just now to appease the technophobes.

No, I missed the ones that suited me, tickets for a 1600 crowd in a 10000 capacity ground is a nonsense, there is no system that's easier than me pulling £18 out of my pocket at the turnstiles.

Livi's effort was to queue up at a door for a ticket then queue at a turnstile, there's nobody can tell me that taking cash over a plastic box at a door is safer physically or financially than taking it at the turnstile.

Probably being done to cut down on wrongly claimed concessions, might work but equally might just see more youngsters keeping their £18.