League cup group G

E.
While I don't condone racism in any way or form, it's pretty pathetic that football fans should be worrying about how their use of language is being interpreted or used within a certain context or not.

Football fans or not Everyone should be questioning if their use of language is appropriate.

The song has been called out as offensive, even if you think ‘aye well we didn’t mean it like that’ surely there needs to be acknowledgement of potential offence caused and that better language can be used in future?

Football fans or not Everyone should be questioning if their use of language is appropriate.

The song has been called out as offensive, even if you think ‘aye well we didn’t mean it like that’ surely there needs to be acknowledgement of potential offence caused and that better language can be used in future?
Think about what you're saying here though.

No matter the details involved, whenever someone says they're offended by something - that has to take precedence?

I'm a long time defender of political correctness but it is not ideal, and often very clumsy (especially when numpties are in charge of decision making processes).

I think our supporters should change the words, but absolutely not because it 'causes offence' to people. It's more the case that repeatedly explaining it is exhausting.

20 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

No matter the details involved, whenever someone says they're offended by something - that has to take precedence?

I'm a long time defender of political correctness but it is not ideal, and often very clumsy (especially when numpties are in charge of decision making processes).

I think our supporters should change the words, but absolutely not because it 'causes offence' to people. It's more the case that repeatedly explaining it is exhausting.

We should just keep it, those finding offence where there is none can go f**k themselves, it's becoming tedious.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Where is the line going to be drawn? Swearing in general at the football? Folk can be offended by swearing and by and large swearing in public is a public order offence. 

Get to the fucking cricket.

I was at a game last season and a police woman was walking round the pitch so I started a chant of "get your tits out for the boys". Felt this whack on the face. Turned round and this rather butch female yelled at me what about the lesbians in the crowd?

We really do need to rethink our chants nowadays. [emoji848]

16 minutes ago, ftk said:

I was at a game last season and a police woman was walking round the pitch so I started a chant of "get your tits out for the boys". Felt this whack on the face. Turned round and this rather butch female yelled at me what about the lesbians in the crowd?

We really do need to rethink our chants nowadays. emoji848.png

Is that some horrendously unfunny joke? 

Well no. But when the majority of people can recognise the language you use as offensive and you have to go and explain how you didn’t mean it that way then abit of self-awareness wouldn’t be amiss.

Language changes and moves on, why people are desperate to cling onto the old language I’m not sure. But but it’s just short for Pakistani...

Well no. But when the majority of people can recognise the language you use as offensive and you have to go and explain how you didn’t mean it that way then abit of self-awareness wouldn’t be amiss.

Language changes and moves on, why people are desperate to cling onto the old language I’m not sure. But but it’s just short for Pakistani...
Another shite comparison.

The 'short for Pakistan' term was used by everyone and then became, quite clearly, a term of racist abuse. The context was the same for everyone in Britain - there was no different use.

The mining community in Scotland had its own terms. This had no connection with racism whatsoever. None.

I've always said we should probably change it just for the constant headache it creates.

But don't try and make the chant 'a little bit old school racist'. It's simply not.

Is that some horrendously unfunny joke? 

Offended?

The point I was trying to make (badly after a few pints) was just there are loads off chants out there that could offend anybody.

Cant please everybody all of the time.

12 minutes ago, ftk said:

Offended?

The point I was trying to make (badly after a few pints) was just there are loads off chants out there that could offend anybody.

Cant please everybody all of the time.

It was an awful joke making use of a sexist chant. You haven’t made any sort of “point”.

12 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

See all these people sticking up for the song - do you seriously think it’s worth the vast majority of the country perceiving it as racist when it could so easily be changed to another word?

Couldn’t care less what other people think as we know it’s not racist. No one likes us we don’t care etc. 

23 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

See all these people sticking up for the song - do you seriously think it’s worth the vast majority of the country perceiving it as racist when it could so easily be changed to another word?

I'm on both sides.  It's not a racist song in the slightest and is no way comparable to say singing about 'Paki' or 'Chinky' as someone alluded to as those two are referring explicitly to a race / skin colour whereas the 'black' in the song simply is not.  

However, sad as it is that everyone takes it out of context and assumes it is ridiculously racist, i'd definitely rather we stopped singing it just to avoid the hassle as we have plenty other stuff to sing.   

Means we could get back to important stuff like arguing amongst ourselves about budgets and lack of ambition etc

20 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Couldn’t care less what other people think as we know it’s not racist. No one likes us we don’t care etc. 

Sometimes a wee bit of self-awareness doesn’t go amiss.

It was an awful joke making use of a sexist chant. You haven’t made any sort of “point”.
So you would be against singing that then?

What about walking down the Somerset Road? That ok or change the words? What about singing 'you fat b*****d' at an overweight player? That ok or change the words?

Football chants are usually aimed at offending somebody. Cant believe some of the snowflakes on here. As somebody else said away and follow cricket or rugby. Football clearly isn't for them.

2 minutes ago, ftk said:

So you would be against singing that then?

What about walking down the Somerset Road? That ok or change the words? What about singing 'you fat b*****d' at an overweight player? That ok or change the words?

Football chants are usually aimed at offending somebody. Cant believe some of the snowflakes on here. As somebody else said away and follow cricket or rugby. Football clearly isn't for them.

So you actually think it’s okay to sing “get your tits out” at a woman? Think we can safely file you into “backwards cretin best ignored”.

So you actually think it’s okay to sing “get your tits out” at a woman? Think we can safely file you into “backwards cretin best ignored”.
You never answered the other questions?

Think we can file you under offended snowflake best staying away from football.