League cup group G

28 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

This thread is fucking dead.

How many fans are we likely to take to Berwick in 2 weeks?

It's as dead as the atmosphere at the administration-dome

At the very least me, unless I die of boredom in the interim

1 hour ago, LivelyLion said:

I'll not be dishing out any insults to the other teams on this thread and I hope my fellow lions follow suit. 

No point punching down on smaller/less successful clubs. 

All love 💞<span>

giphy.gif  

Its a difficult group to call really. 

Ayr; Falkirk and ourselves have had wholesale changed over the summer. Berwick may feel they have something to prove after the way last season ended and as for Stranraer - well I still haven't forgiven them for the playoffs... you know the game I mean.

The fact that Falkirk still have Ray McKinnon in charge (I think) and he's recently signed Conor Sammon makes me feel decidedly easier about this game although our games against the Bairns have always been a bit unpredictable.

The game against the honest men will certainly bring back memories. They had an impressive start to the season last year but who knows what's going to happen for this one. With so many new starts on both sides who can tell what will happen but I'd bet there's a few that feel a bit strange about it.

Berwick? Well I'm disappointed about not having a weekend fixture at their ground. Great chippy just round the corner, nice wee club house and the supporters were pretty sound.Playing them at home we should be expecting a win but early in the season, with so many wanting to avoid injuries etc., its certainly wont be a certainty.

Stranraer - well I'm certainly not going to write them off - the scars left by that damp Wednesday evening game remind me that even when you're one goal up you cant afford to relax.

The league Cup nowadays seems to have a somewhat otherworldly ring to it; teams returning from the summer break and no-one really knowing what to expect. Managers trying experimental lineups etc; sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.Whatever happens I personally feel starved of football; other than watching a couple of the lassie's world cup games etc. there's been very little to go on. We have a friendly tonight but that's really experimental.

A trip to Falkirk (easy to get to; easy to park; and relatively easy to get away from) could be just the thing to break my fast. A win would do nicely as well.

Yeah if we had Kelly, Gallagher and Halkett still in our team i'd be pretty confident of topping this group, but we haven't, so our defence is a complete unknown quantity. Attacking wise I think we'll be pretty decent though, looking forward to these games to see how the team is shaping up for the league starting.

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah if we had Kelly, Gallagher and Halkett still in our team i'd be pretty confident of topping this group, but we haven't, so our defence is a complete unknown quantity. Attacking wise I think we'll be pretty decent though, looking forward to these games to see how the team is shaping up for the league starting.

Halkett's the biggest loss there; I think we've replaced Gallagher and may have an adequate replacement for Kelly but Halkett was the glue that held the defence together.

Lithgow's obviously a good defender but how much will his concentration be affected by wearing the captain's armband. We've had lots who weren't able to do both.

Still baffles me that Alan Lithgow is playing in the Premiership let alone captaining a team in it. He wasn’t bad for us but I wouldn’t have said he was anything more than average and that was in League One.

We should be beating Berwick and Stranraer but I don’t know what to expect from Falkirk and Livi.

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Still baffles me that Alan Lithgow is playing in the Premiership let alone captaining a team in it. He wasn’t bad for us but I wouldn’t have said he was anything more than average and that was in League One.

We should be beating Berwick and Stranraer but I don’t know what to expect from Falkirk and Livi.

Tbh neither do i.

Lithgow has stepped up with ease from League one to Championship and then in the Premiership last season, really solid player for us.

The business we do in the next couple of days will give me a better idea how we should be doing in this group.

For the coming season we need 4 more signings really but if we don’t go through here I can only see us getting 2 or 3 max.

20 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Don't recall him being excellent for us in League One either tbf, went up to the Championship and it was like we had signed a new player.

No idea what to expect from us, but looking forward to seeing how the new guys fit into the team and I'll just be happy to get competitive football back.

We’ve added Stephen Kelly on loan from Rangers today and I’d imagine he’ll start the match vs Berwick on Saturday. I’m also expecting us to add Ross Doohan this week as well.

Lineup for Berwick

Doohan

Geggan
Bell
Roscoe
Harvie

McGuffie
Murdoch
Kelly
Ross

Moffat
Doolan

Subs; Hare-Reid, Ferguson, Muirhead, Docherty, Kerr, Forrest, McCowan

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’ve added Stephen Kelly on loan from Rangers today and I’d imagine he’ll start the match vs Berwick on Saturday. I’m also expecting us to add Ross Doohan this week as well.

Lineup for Berwick

Doohan

Geggan
Bell
Roscoe
Harvie

McGuffie
Murdoch
Kelly
Ross

Moffat
Doolan

Subs; Hare-Reid, Ferguson, Muirhead, Docherty, Kerr, Forrest, McCowan

More than enough to comfortably beat Berwick with that team , strong enough squad ,with 2 more additions that should see us through to January 

More than enough to comfortably beat Berwick with that team , strong enough squad ,with 2 more additions that should see us through to January 

Are we likely to get the 2 in before Saturday or just 1??

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

Likely just the one , Bet Fred progression will decide third addition is my belief

I could be reading what you are saying wrong but do you reckon there will be two signings today (Doohan and another) or just Doohan and the other two signings (right back and striker) will be dependant on league cup progression? 

19 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I wouldn't be against giving Hare-Reid the gloves for the Berwick game, not so sure yet about the rest. 

If Doohan signs I would do it on rotation. Hare-Reid for the Berwick and Stranraer games and Doohan for Livi and Falkirk.