League Cup Group F

Reid

5 goals scored and we only win 3-2. Typical Thistle!

I'm glad that's preseason out the way.

I'd say Airdrie were the best of the lower league sides we played although Clyde should do okay in League One if they can make a couple of decent loan signings.

Was actually quite a good game. Thought Cardle and Robson were excellent and Williamson was great going forward. Defence still looks dodgy. Shae  Gordon, if he keeps himself fit will easily score double figures this season. We are playing some nice football and its going to be exciting seeing Cardle and Austin playing wide.  Still think we need another striker and possibly another defender but a lot to be encouraged about if we can get the defence tightened up

We got absolutely roasted in the wide areas. McNiff and Duffie couldn't cope with the energy and power of Robson and Williamson going forward and of course Cardle absolutely done McNiff in the lead up to the opener. Poor from Syvertsen not realising Williamsons run for the 3rd but suppose defending isn't his game. Goodie should never have started either, was blowing out his arse after 5 minutes. Could've got interesting if he was a sub and came on at 3-2 with fresh legs. Really hope he is fit for the beginning of the league campaign.

Other than that I thought we competed fairly well. Howie looked a bit more comfortable although to be fair that was because of all Thistles threat coming in the wide areas. Don't think he had to challenge for a header the full game. Grant and Johnston probably our best performers, something I feel will be said regularly this season. Mitchell made a few fine stops although it looked to me like the one from Miller's header crossed the line. If not then world class save.

Missed the OG. Was it another Tuffey/Maxwell moment right enough?

Edited by C. Muir

One thing i do like is the fact we are continually trying to play in the channel between the full back and the centre half thats 2 games and 2 goals from very similar positions and the ball played across the 6 yard box for a tap in

When you take into account the fact we were gifted both goals, then a decent push for an equaliser late on doesn't seem as impressive. I thought we were dreadful for large parts of the game, had no game plan to plug our weak link (McNiff) and Goodwillie looked completely off the pace. 

Thistle were very smart and quick to switch play to Cardle. They're missing something though, maybe up front. Should have won by more goals.

Without knowing who lost Miller for his goal, I thought Mitchell, Howie and Rumsby were excellent. Grant good in the second half. Wallace much better. 18 goals conceded in 7 games is atrocious and most are from the same area of the pitch.

Thistles PA stuff is absolutely honking.

That song was embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Im_Rodger said:

Well done Partick Thistle winning the Group F title.

Hoping to join you in the Round of 16 on Saturday.

If we play as passively as we did tonight then you should win. I suspect the "derby" nature might produce a more robust approach. Is a Hamilton win really needed to be the best 2nd? It would be good to force a draw to leave you sweating? I have not seen Hamiton here for a few seasons and look forward to the game.

Decent from us tonight in what was an entertaining and competitive team. Suffered when Jamieson went off, but we weathered the storm. There was only one team who looked like winning it at the end. Purdue unlucky to hit the bar and should have buried the one at the death. Wonderful goal from him, though. Pearler of a strike. 

Big Alfie looks a proper handful up front as well. Great play to set up Summers for the goal. Disappointed to lose two soft goals, but teams from a level up will punish mistakes. We've played three games and will have been the happier camp after the final whistle in all three. 

The real stuff doesn't start until a week on Saturday. Hard to know where we really are until that's underway. 

50 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Thistle were abysmal tonight. Fitness was piss poor, and we actually made Clyde look half-decent at times.

McGinty at CB and Mansell up front are not the answer.

Can't agree with any of that. It's all about opinions though 🤷‍♂️

Main concern is that outside Cardle we have zero creativity, the 1st goal came from his blocked shot, the 2nd was a direct assist from the FK, and the 3rd was due to his pass in behind the LB for Williamson. Without obviously seeing Austin if JC gets injured we are in trouble.

Other concerns: we might be the smallest team in the SPFL and at set pieces we are going to leak goals, Joe Cardle man marking a Clyde player at the last corner of the game was terrifying. We switched off after every goal again.  Williamson will struggle against better wingers - and I can't believe Johnston fell as far as league 2 last season unless he's one of those guys that only plays well against us. O'Ware, Penrice, and Palmer all  being / getting injured clearly isn't good although we do have 10 days til our next game.

I've seen Thistle concede exactly 2 goals like Clyde's second in 32 years of going to Firhill and they've both been vs Clyde at Firhill. Sneddon should be in ahead of Fox.

Poistives: I always thought Cardle was an overrated showpony based on one hat trick vs us but if he can not shoot from 30 yards so often he will be key. McGinty won everything he was asked to and kept it simple.  Gordon is an enigma, hardly touches the ball at times then you realise he scored 2 and could easily have had 4 goals  tonight. De Vita will be class once up to speed. Was good for Miller to get a goal at Firhill as well. Also impressed with Callum Wilson's running and ball retention in the last few minutes, I'm not going to be too quick to write him off.

Edited by Fuctifano

48 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Thistle were abysmal tonight. Fitness was piss poor, and we actually made Clyde look half-decent at times.

McGinty at CB and Mansell up front are not the answer.

We made some mistakes tonight, but harsh to call us abysmal. Comfortably the better team and really should have won by more goals.

Cardle was the best player on the park imo. Had the beating of their FBs and his deliveries were a constant threat. The decision to award Bannigan the MOTM was very bizarre even by our usual standards - much like Doolan and Erskine, Banzo seems to be able to cruise by on poor performances without attracting much criticism, but I thought he was poor again today, and obviously scored that awful OG. He really needs to step it up.

Clyde were alright, but not as good as Airdrie. Chris Johnston probably the standout player; useful and tidy with the ball most times he had it. Some good stops from Mitchell as well, but an awful lot of punches when he could have caught the ball. Goodwillie was miles off the pace. Overall would imagine they’ll have enough to be safe next year.

Aye, ignoring all the off the field stuff re Goodwillie I assumed he'd just battered teams last year and would cause us problems but he's clearly miles overweight and Clyde looked far better going forward when he went off.

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

Sneddon should be in ahead of Fox.

This. Can’t see him getting the #1 spot back, though. All Fox really has over Sneddon at this point is experience, but just get the feeling that’ll be used as the reason to go with Fox.

6 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Aye, ignoring all the off the field stuff re Goodwillie I assumed he'd just battered teams last year and would cause us problems but he's clearly miles overweight and Clyde looked far better going forward when he went off.

He’s still no where near 100% fit after getting injured in the play off final, should never have started 

7 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

He's carried a little bit of timber pretty much the whole time he's been at Clyde but has never affected his work rate or desire. As I said earlier in the thread he should never have started the game having just returned from injury. Won't have had much of a pre-season either due to the injury so could even be a couple more weeks till he's properly up to speed.

Any left-backs available for loan?