League Cup Group F

Reid

entertaining game , thought going forward we look pretty good Johnston looks a terrific acquisition Lamont I thought played well Norway good first half but faded

If I recall correctly, we didn't have a shot in target until the penalty in the 75th minute.

How many times was Smith offside?

Only when Lyons and Goodwillie came on that we looked a threat.

"The defence I didn't think our centre backs were that bad , but mcniff OMG that's got to be one of the poorest left back performances well since the last one got caught wrong side continually and generally was all over the place , mcstay today worse than a man short"

Fully agree with you here.

Clyde started really well without troubling our defence too much, they looked to move it about very well. Once the game settled after the first 15 minutes we came into it and controlled, special mention to Wedderburn- he used the ball as well as any player I've ever seen play for us and of course Eckersley, who is no doubt an upgrade on Macdonald. I felt we took all 3 goals pretty well with the pick of the bunch being our second, it's always pleasing to see something from the training ground come off. Then came Clyde's penalty, bizarre decision and it gave them a lift and they once again come onto a game whether it be through our own sloppiness poor referee decisions or their own doing, who knows?

3 main points on the referee-

Kerr could've easily walked just after we scored when he pulled the clyde player down, although there must've been cover from Crighton as it's the only explanation for why he didn't see red.

How the f**k he never managed to award us a free kick for persistent fouling on the edge of the Clyde box just before their penalty is beyond me and many others I'd think.

The penalty itself, if anyone could shed any light on it I'd be grateful, I think hes the only one who thought it was a penalty. I think it says it all when theres very little (if any) claims from players.

Another game of okay going forwards but rubbish at the back. Once Goodwillie came on we, of course, looked a different team going forwards and once he’s back fit I’ll be a lot happier. Unless we sign a couple of good defenders our only option will be to hound teams for 90 minutes and try to outscore them as that defence has no hope of soaking up any sort of pressure at present.

First goal, as I said in the Clyde forum, was a miscue from Howie which resulted in the ball being crossed in and hitting Grant in the arm. The second cane as we had our own chance from a set piece, following a tug on Smith as he was breaking through. Cuddihy’s free kick was very poor indeed and Airdrie broke quickly with Howie rashly diving in to foul the Airdrie player. Eckersley then fired in a great strike after the ball was played short to him but our attempt to close down the shot was dreadful. The third was even worse as McStay dawdled on, and subsequently lost, the ball which resulted in the ball eventually being squared to Roy to tap in again.

Once Goodwillie and Wallace came on we looked much better with Wallace much more effective than he was on Wednesday night IMO. Our first goal was a very soft penalty but the second was a great header from a fine Johnston cross. We then created a few other chances but ultimately ran out of time.

That’s now the second time I’ve seen Mitchell and he’s conceded six goals. However, it’s six goals where I’ve thought there’s very little that he could do about them. As alluded to above, Howie was generally okay but made two mistakes today which, albeit indirectly, led to goals against - worrying. I do wish that we had been able to get Kerr Waddell instead of Montrose, a big centre-half like him is exactly what we need. Younger than Howie too.

Johnston was pretty menacing throughout and is more effective when he’s given freedom to roam rather than stuck on the touchline. McStay will certainly have better games. Syvertsen started well but he will always struggle playing centrally against big defences. Smith looked much better on Wednesday and didn’t look very sure of himself today. He’ll still be a handy player to have around though. By Christ, even Ross Lyon looked pretty decent when he came on.

FWIW, I believe Lennon will bring in the quality needed at the back but the defence were miles off it today.

43 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

Yeah Airdrie wont be mugs since they are the 3rd best team on paper in League 1 with the hybrid signing policy. 

Played pretty well against us but toothless up front. Seems Ally Roy has bared his fangs now!

Decent game yesterday. Some goals from Cunningham for Accies. 

Credit to Rice for changing things relatively early bring MacKinnon on.

Our inability to hold on for even 30s after the opener was hilarious yet worrying as we almost managed the same after our equaliser but thankfully that penalty didn't hit the mark.

Fon Williams actually made some decent saves yesterday too. Wasn't the easiest of chances for Kenny Miller but looked a decent stop.

I thought our opener was a fluke or cross-come-shot but watching it again I think Williamson actually meant it. Shame his defending was a wee bit suspect later on.

@Nightmare posted on the Thistle thread that from Accies taking kick off after our first goal to the equaliser for Accies was 11 seconds, and from Accies taking kick off after our second goal to their penalty being awarded was 15 seconds. Once can happen to anyone I guess but twice in the same game is wild.

Wasn't there yesterday but I knew that a draw kept qualification in our own hands regardless of the shoot out outcome, so was happy at full time. Then I realised we had Fox in goals and it was just as well it didn't matter about the pens, I know that roughly 4/5 penalties are scored but he must be way below the average save rate.

Edited by Fuctifano

Looking forward to effortlessly slapping down the hapless pub team from Cumbernauld on Wednesday. The seethe from their diddy fans will be delicious.

Also looking forward to baiting the rapist. The last time I saw him at Firhill was our opening game against Utd in 2013. I’ve never seen a player so visibly affected by  fan abuse. He was a mess that night.

Looking forward to effortlessly slapping down the hapless pub team from Cumbernauld on Wednesday. The seethe from their diddy fans will be delicious.
Also looking forward to baiting the rapist. The last time I saw him at Firhill was our opening game against Utd in 2013. I’ve never seen a player so visibly affected by  fan abuse. He was a mess that night.

Humble pie coming your way.[emoji1267]

48 minutes ago, Bridgeton Clyde Boy said:

We have been saving ourselves for thistle. 

Shame youve already been papped out of the competition already. Probably knocked a couple of hundred off of the 'Gypsy Army'?

Still At least you've got a chance to put a stick in the spokes of Caldwell's jaggernaut!

55 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Will you be watching the game or just focusing on our fans and players?

12 hours ago, Bridgeton Clyde Boy said:

We have been saving ourselves for thistle. 

Even though its Clyde I really hope we just take a couple off you. I love Danny Lennon. The wee fella captained us to some great memories nearly 20 years ago!!

Edited by Sting777