Reid

League Cup Group F

2 hours ago, Nizzy said:

And I assume the guy who pulled Mansell back in the last five minutes was on a yellow and the ref sh*t out of sending him off - that's the only plausible explanation for failing to book him.

That was one of the few instances where the ref was consistent all evening, given that he hadn't booked Thistle's no. 8 and 16 for the same offence in the first half.

Thought we were average on Saturday and poor last night but .... suppose 6 from 6 is the main thing. The lack of creativity is my main concern. Both goals were well worked last night (particularly Robson's) but aside from this and a couple of other occasions, we basically seemed to resort to lumping long balls all match.
Was actually pretty impressed with Queens - think they may well have a decent season - but as mentioned earlier reckon a couple of their players were pretty fortunate to escape dismissal later in the game.
We definitely still need another 2 or 3 bodies though .....

3 hours ago, Cnoc Moire said:

We definitely still need another 2 or 3 bodies though .....

If we're sticking with 3-5-2 then we definitely need another central defender, and probably another right wing-back too. 2 more attacking players needed as well, so 3-4 more signings required IMO.

Our team looks like it could be:

OFW
McGowan McKenna Gogic Easton McMann
Alston Hughes Smith
Ogkmpoe Miller

I've had a stab at the formation as a few things don't make sense, but they played with a similar team at some point against Raith. A 4-3-3 might actually be more likely, but I'm not convinced he'd play Easton in a two.

Mitchell

Duffie Rumsby Howie McNiff

Wallace Grant Cuddihy

Johnston Syvertsen Smith 

Goodwillie, McStay, Lamont all on bench.

Our team looks like it could be:

OFW
McGowan McKenna Gogic Easton McMann
Alston Hughes Smith
Ogkmpoe Miller

I've had a stab at the formation as a few things don't make sense, but they played with a similar team at some point against Raith. A 4-3-3 might actually be more likely, but I'm not convinced he'd play Easton in a two.
That looks most likely. Suppose Gogic could be in midfield with Smith further forward but I would doubt it.

Definitely better but still a bit shite. Smith doing really well.

First game back for me after missing all the friendlies. Clyde playing quite well but McNiff is finding life a bit tricky with Hamilton’s full backs pushing on too. Impressed by Mitchell so far. Howie doesn’t look too bad either from what I’ve seen.

A fairly pedestrian pace from the game but it has been encouraging considering McStay, Rankin and Goodwillie are all missing.

We really should have scored a goal or two. McNiff being absolutely rinsed by Smith(?) and Johnston physically unable to match McMann's runs forward. 

Midfield doesn't look like they're in sync with each other.

Finished 3-1 Accies.

Wasn't there so can't comment on performance but at least it's a win!

Much better than Saturdays performance.

Going forward we had something about us, Smith looked very dangerous and thoroughly deserved his first goal. Oggy and Miller look like a decent combination too.

Defensively though we look really poor, I'm not convinced Gogic is a footballer. McMann and McGowan looked good going forward but McMann in particular was getting caught out at the back.

When we went 2-0 Rice dropped Miller back to midfield and left Oggy up top himself and I don't think that really worked and against a team like Clyde I think we should've just kept 2 up top.

Overall an improvement and Smith looks a player.

Not too bad tonight but out midfield didn’t really work IMO. Wallace in particular looked a wee bit out of place. Difficult to judge too harshly but it was three poor goals to concede. I don’t think we really pressed the ball in our own final third too well which was a bit disappointing. No point in competing well for most of the game but then conceding three goals like that. 

However, we looked quite handy going forwards until we started to tire towards the end. Smith looked a pretty handy out-ball and hopefully gets a goal soon after missing a few chances tonight and in the friendlies (from what I’ve heard). Johnston was a handful and I’ve no doubt he will be a handy player for us this year. Mitchell was solid all evening and I think he’s an upgrade on Currie. Goodwillie getting some minutes tonight too is pleasing and he’ll hopefully not be too far away from starting. The Norwegian Prince again continuing to show his potential. Duffie also had a pretty decent game going forwards, I like to see him doing well.

Still quite a bit to go based on that but I’m certainly interested to see how we get on against Airdrie.

As a final point, Smith for Accies looks to be a #baller. A local lad, who grew up supporting the team, scoring his first goal? You love to see it (just not against my team).

Clyde played well for first 20 mins or so but then we dominated pretty much the rest of the game.

Lewis Smith was tremendous.

Couldn’t make it tonight as I was just returning from holiday. Haven’t seen any of the friendly games either. Worries me that we’re losing so many goals but it’s early days I guess. From what I’ve read, Syvertsen seems to have done well. Could be a right good find if he continues to improve. Towards the end of last season he was starting to make a real impact. 

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Definitely better but still a bit shite. Smith doing really well.

He the boy at right mid that scored the 3rd? Gave McNiff a torrid time but at the same time he had no protection on the left hand side for most of the game.

We competed well for the most part especially going forward but the goals conceded were entirely preventable, unfortunately I can see us conceding quite a lot of goals similar to the first one where we fail to clear our lines a couple of times and get punished for it. I would love Howie to do well but we really need better tbh. Duffie was fine but as a result of his inclusion Cuddihy had a quiet game in midfield.

Can't believe Fon-Williams save from Johnston at 0-0 hasn't been mentioned yet. I know tipping it onto the woodwork always makes saves look better than they actually are but it really was top drawer.

He the boy at right mid that scored the 3rd? Gave McNiff a torrid time but at the same time he had no protection on the left hand side for most of the game.
We competed well for the most part especially going forward but the goals conceded were entirely preventable, unfortunately I can see us conceding quite a lot of goals similar to the first one where we fail to clear our lines a couple of times and get punished for it. I would love Howie to do well but we really need better tbh. Duffie was fine but as a result of his inclusion Cuddihy had a quiet game in midfield.
Can't believe Fon-Williams save from Johnston at 0-0 hasn't been mentioned yet. I know tipping it onto the woodwork always makes saves look better than they actually are but it really was top drawer.
Yeah that's Smith. Tonight was his first start for the club and he's a lifelong Accies fan (not many of them playing football). He looked brilliant, hopefully he starts on Saturday and shows the same sort of performance.

Your keeper also pulled off a great save from Smith in the first half tipping it onto the post.