League Cup Group F

Reid

26 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

We need to quickly drop this attitiude its early days/league cup bladdy blah..

Were due to play at least two teams who have beaten Dundee Utd Away and STJ not inc montrose who done same..

We would be doing cartwheels if we done same so dont kid me on with the 'League matters pish' when others look in a much healthier state...

Pissed aff emoji107.png

You're right. But its our own fucking supporters deciding it doesn't matter, offering both lame excuses and meek posturing over one or two players who've taken the piss so far from the League Cup displays. They played reasonably well at Firhill under pressure from the support to at least give a game, but other than that, its been shite. 

I see a worrying correlation here between us now and Strachan's Scotland, bottom of the group after 4 games in 2013, and so anything was seen as a bonus after that. That's worked out well for the kilted catamites, hasn't it? 

Get the fucking fingers out pronto lads. Fans and team. 

58 minutes ago, Accies88 said:

After seeing the highlights think Fon Williams was unlucky with the second goal swerved a good bit and was wet. AJ could have been sent off good takle in my opinion but these days its prob a red. 2 stonewall pens. 

Where can I find the highlights? Seen Oggy's goal on Accies twitter. Early days but hoping the Accies TV cameraman can zoom in a bit in future.

Frustrating equaliser to lose, to a  freekick just punted straight into the box.

We played the second half in second gear, but still looked comfortable for half an hour. Then we took our foot of the gas too much (as we did at the end of the first half) though Queens Park still didn't threaten much.

Good performance from Lyon, though we didn't get him on the ball enough. Smith was decent, when he was onside. Others flitted in and out the game.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

I really like Danny Lennon, love him actually, but the way he’s approached the cup competitions over the past two seasons with us is really disappointing. Don’t get me wrong, I’d always rather we prioritised the league but it certainly hasn’t helped to build confidence for the season ahead. You could tell we decided to chuck that after 45 minutes.

All I’ve taken from this group is that we really, really need a dominant centre-half and a left-back and that’s only because I missed our friendlies. Fingers crossed there is some truth in the rumours about loans.

I really like Danny Lennon, love him actually, but the way he’s approached the cup competitions over the past two seasons with us is really disappointing. Don’t get me wrong, I’d always rather we prioritised the league but it certainly hasn’t helped to build confidence for the season ahead. You could tell we decided to chuck that after 45 minutes.

All I’ve taken from this group is that we really, ""really need a dominant centre-half and a left-back"" and that’s only because I missed our friendlies. Fingers crossed there is some truth in the rumours about loans.

"" Im bored reading these comments and saying them myself""

We need a good league start. Pressure sort of already building

18 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

My purchase of a season ticket for the year ahead hinges on tomorrow's game, really. Failure to beat Queen's Park now that natural order has been restored is a sure-fire sign that we are in for a wretched campaign.

As for the game itself, I am fairly sure that we will win comfortably; probably 4-0. Mark Roberts was sitting behind me at Clyde vs Airdrie and continually spoke to his little minion about "hurting Clyde in the half-spaces" with absolutely no depth of analysis beyond that. With such a level of tactical acumen at their disposal, QP's season could be a particularly hilarious one.

1 hour ago, the_bully_wee said:

Weird that Roberts claimed that this game means nothing and yet has instructed his players to try and kick Clyde's off the park at every opportunity, here. What a gang Queen's Park are.

20 minutes ago, BullyWeeLad said:

You’d have thought QP won the league cup the way they were celebrating at the end, tinpot stuff 

mood lol GIF

Good performance from Lyon, though we didn't get him on the ball enough. Smith was decent, when he was onside. Others flitted in and out the game.

Says it all about our league cup performances that you describe Lyon's performance as "good". He was okay, no more than that.

McNiff constantly ran into trouble. Offered nothing going forward. Shadow of last year's player. Confidence shot?

McStay gave the impression of someone thinking he's better than he really is.

Syvertsen is too easily out-muscled.

Lamont anonymous.

I thought Wallace looked very good for the first half.

Mitchell is vocal and is a big improvement on Currie.

It's about time we started taking the league cup seriously and it's about time Lennon took the defensive frailties seriously. They c̶̶o̶̶u̶̶l̶̶d̶ will be league position defining.

Wasn't the same level of performance as the Thistle game, but got a late equaliser and done the job again on penalties. A good game to watch for a dead rubber. 

Both teams had spells on top but there weren't a lot of clear cut chances. Joffrey looked excellent in the middle of the park, had a couple of good crosses & free kicks before delivering a great ball for the equaliser. Salim looks class as well. Potential for a very good season ahead. 

In the interest of fairness, I thought the Clyde #11 was their best player by a mile, could possibly argue he was MOTM. Had a lot of joy down his flank particularly in the first half and took his goal well, although I thought Muir could have done better for it. Other than that I didn't think there was much else to them, pretty similar standard to us. Will be interesting to see how they get on.

Absolute garbage. Didn't even look like we knew we needed a second goal. Lyon plays at one speed, which is turn and run as fast as you can regardless of if anyone is in your way. No positives today at all apart from seeing a 'keeper save a penalty.

French boy looked decent for Queens.

A good test for us to start with Galt(?), Jamieson, Gibson and McRory missing. All of which you would expect to start.

Easily out-paced for the goal and we struggled to get any flow from there on. Clyde didn't pose too many problems, and we relied too much on sceond balls rather than playing to feet, but encouraging from Joffrey amd Salim.

Personally i couldn't give a flying you know what for this competition, i do believe it is an excellent way to prepare for the season ahead. It is competitive and much much better than playing half hearted meaningless friendlies at this time of the year and it  is without doubt the best way to find out where our weaknesses and strengths lie.  Our lack of a LB and a dominant CB has been very evident and is a priority that needs addressed now and not taking the chance on what we already have , better finding that out now than a few weeks into the season and not much time to rectify the weakness.

Howie is a young guy who i believe will get better under DL and AM and  it is a huge jump from LL to L1  and he needs time to learn.  McNiff done a fine job last season on the left in L2 but he is a CB and should only be used as a CB at this higher level. 

Hopefully the rumours are true and DL has new players lined up already, which i imagine he will have.

12 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Says it all about our league cup performances that you describe Lyon's performance as "good". He was okay, no more than that.

In a game where no one stood out, Lyon did well. Almost every time he had the ball he did something positive, that's what I'd class as a good performance.

I don't think we got the ball to him enough, and he even won a couple of headers when I thought he had no chance going up for them.