League Cup Group F

Reid

41 minutes ago, tworedlea said:

4) We have a criminal justice system and they have responsibilities to determine what should happen to individuals. 

Good post. Despite new statute laws introduced to help victims of rape, of either sex, for reasons unknown the Crown decided not to prosecute. We're a society where right and wrong is very important to us, albeit subjective on a personal basis. Had the case been tried in a criminal court then it would be easier for most to accept the decision. Unfortunately, the criminal justice system didn't allow for any closure for the victim thus leaving her with the choice of trying to forget it all happened or seek some form of "justice" via a civil court. As she was cruelly to discover, a civil case is all about money and after draining her legal aid fund the lawyers kept the meter running just long enough to tally up an extra £100k which conveniently  was covered by the award made by the judge (not a sheriff) who sat on the hearing (not a trial) and found in her favour (not a verdict).

The woman has gotten on with her life and doing well in her own business. The perps have tried to get on with their lives. Fans should move on too. Whatever an individual opinion is howling abuse in front of young people simply brings the howler down. Respect yourself first.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 hour ago, tworedlea said:

2) Some of the language and behaviours I have witnessed have been disgusting to watch and listen to, let alone for children to experience. We need to encourage the younger generation to attend games, these behaviours are not the way to do that.

When I was wee one of the things that made the biggest impression on me was the barrage of filth and abuse that I heard at football matches.  That encouraged me to want to go to games as much as anything.  Kids don't need to be wrapped up in cotton wool, they tend to think its hilarious to see adults acting like idiots in a (semi) controlled environment like a football match.

1) Supporters don't do it to their own players. So their actions are clearly not based on a players previous history.

You’ve obviously never had Martin Woods play for you.

The (deserved) abuse he got was much worse than anything Goodwillie got, and he wasn’t even a rapist.

Jai Quitongo also received some boos (as well as applause...) when warming up for us after the allegations surfaced that he'd beaten up his girlfriend.

Saying supporters don't boo their own players is just lazy. Maybe not with the level of venom that Goodwillie received the other night against us, but it definitely happens, for a variety of reasons.

10 hours ago, tworedlea said:

I think the actions of so called supporters who verbally attack opposing team players is outrageous.

I say this for a number of reasons;

1) Supporters don't do it to their own players. So their actions are clearly not based on a players previous history.

2) Some of the language and behaviours I have witnessed have been disgusting to watch and listen to, let alone for children to experience. We need to encourage the younger generation to attend games, these behaviours are not the way to do that.

3) If these behaviours were carried out anywhere else e.g. a street the person doing it could be charged quite rightly so with offences such as breach of the peace. I believe the authorities should act in the same way wherever these acts occur. Letting these behaviours happen at football games is unacceptable and supporters should report those who do it.

4) We have a criminal justice system and they have responsibilities to determine what should happen to individuals. People who believe they have a right to continue to have a go at people for things they may have or may not have done is wrong. A kangaroo court is a sign of a negative society. If someone has been dealt with by the authorities, that should be the end of the matter. People have a right to move on from any previous actions and punishme

In full context, and as a conduct 101 guideline, you're absolutely correct. Other than the 1st sub-paragraph though, as there ARE a number who for normally singular reasons may not attend their team while the situ remains in action. You're referring to DG in this case, obviously, and conversely only an idiot would, in my view,be ignorant of such a sensitive matter (because it IS) yet blindly cheer some goals regardless of the scorer. Even for my club, struggling and as uber-shite we've been for years, the ignorance displayed regarding this is far more of a dangerous lead down moral paths than someone giving an honest, if robust and even offensive opinion. 

It might however just be that if people don't like one another based on such a flimsy thing as a different football team, they'll express this one way or another. Will this having an alleged inpact on learned, societal behaviours of the youth, by example, soon be given as a reason to crack down on some chants at a football match? 

We need more hatred, not less, resulting in genuine views being aired, even ones we don't like. Perhaps part of the reason that convicted criminals and acquitted or even untried civilians can carry on in football but very few other sports, is a sign that the toxicity is virulent through the whole game? And this, is what partly attracts many of us to it?

Edited by Domino the Dug

Darian Mackinnon literally stabbed someone and now he’s the captain and a legend of a Premiership club.

He did his time and punishment in prison.

To me he’s repaid his debt to society and moved on.

The only time he’ll get booed by his own fans is if he’s playing pish.

1 hour ago, Chester Desmond said:

When I was wee one of the things that made the biggest impression on me was the barrage of filth and abuse that I heard at football matches.  That encouraged me to want to go to games as much as anything.  Kids don't need to be wrapped up in cotton wool, they tend to think its hilarious to see adults acting like idiots in a (semi) controlled environment like a football match.

This. 

I was able to distinguish very early what my da' permitted of me at the football, in the controlled environment, and what he instilled in the household and among regular society. No one got called anything like what was heard at the ground, in the shop, or classroom, or Heaven forbid in the house.

The playground and in private with friends, it was absolutely dished out unrepentantly.

Because this is how males (who will be held most responsible for its content anyway), this is how we bond and make friends. Too many softies with neither wanting rulebooks ripped up. 

10 minutes ago, The Clyde Man said:

Looks like Goodie will be mentioned in school history classes.
Drop it, its boring.

If its Sex ed, absolutely it should be the landmark case. For the benefit of boys, preferably. I'd fucking hate to be of sniffing-around age these days, as the art of chatting up seemed to die with Rangers. Too many degenerates who can't communicate or read subtle signs but can get you on the register no problem. 

Anyhoos, a resurgent and remodelled QP team are still looking for their first 90-minute victory and as our head coach would be first to say, the early encouraging signs mean hee-haw if the points aren't on the board. Particular attention has been given to our two greatest weaknesses last year; underly physical defence and lack of goals. Looks good so far.

Clyde, now settling into reality, seem to be still work-in-progress from the comments above. And the retained over-dependancy on Goodwillie won't be healthy in L1. Champions League in 5 years might have to be reconsidered.

Mr Roberts, fine man, was quoted as saying the failed penalty shootout at Airdrie "didnae matter" but our top boy mentioned at last night's wee soiree down at the Scout hut that it cost the club £2k. A full-time win will put the smile back. 3-2 to the QP. Mon The Hoops!

18 hours ago, roger ram jet said:

Really impressed with QP last night, they looked right up for it, can't believe it was the same Airdrie team I saw playing Clyde off the park for most of the game, don't know if they went into the game thinking they were in for a stroll

Agreed about Queens Park.  They were excellent against Accies, played lovely football, and are probably the best team I've seen in the group.  I'll be sticking a few quid on them to do well this season.

8 hours ago, tworedlea said:

Oh here we go again with this one, a total myth for the majority. Folk have been swearing at players and refs since I was a wean, it didn't put me off attending or any of my mates of a similar age. My young niece now comes to games all the time and occasionally my step-sons, none of this behaviour bothers them, in fact they find it amusing if anything. Football is tribal, deal with it.   

28 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Oh here we go again with this one, a total myth for the majority. Folk have been swearing at players and refs since I was a wean, it didn't put me off attending or any of my mates of a similar age. My young niece now comes to games all the time and occasionally my step-sons, none of this behaviour bothers them, in fact they find it amusing if anything. Football is tribal, deal with it.   

Fans also use to get drunk at games, throw snowballs at players, and use racist, sexist and homophobic language. We have moved on from then thankfully and the next step should be stopping the ignorant and intimidating behaviours of a few who believe they can be judge and jury.

30 minutes ago, tworedlea said:

Fans also use to get drunk at games, throw snowballs at players, and use racist, sexist and homophobic language. We have moved on from then thankfully and the next step should be stopping the ignorant and intimidating behaviours of a few who believe they can be judge and jury.

Except in the case of referees of course. All bets off there. I think refs are wonderful. Every week they soak up all our stress and anxieties by allowing us to vent away without any consequence. And it doesn't matter which team you support, they are there for everyone. God bless all referees.

3 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Except in the case of referees of course. All bets off there. I think refs are wonderful. Every week they soak up all our stress and anxieties by allowing us to vent away without any consequence. And it doesn't matter which team you support, they are there for everyone. God bless all referees.

That is also another feature which should change. Where else can you pay money and then be able to verbally abuse a person who is trying their best to do their job? A job which is very difficult. Referees are assessed and if there are any issues, this can be dealt with by the appropriate body.

21 minutes ago, tworedlea said:

That is also another feature which should change. Where else can you pay money and then be able to verbally abuse a person who is trying their best to do their job? A job which is very difficult. Referees are assessed and if there are any issues, this can be dealt with by the appropriate body.

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it appears that you're determined to turn any aspect of things you don't like into criminal offences. The very definition of fascism, one might say. 

Maybe football isn't for you. Most of the other 2,400-odd from Wednesday seemed alright with it as it was. Where's the queue of these other SJWs waiting to come to games when we're better behaved? Or bettee still, barred from the sport altogether?

Careful what you wish for. 

4 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

They also do it all for the love of the game !

Oh, wait a minute......