League Cup Group F

Reid

30 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Poistives: I always thought Cardle was an overrated showpony based on one hat trick vs us 

He's a good championship winger. Like any good championship winger though he'll have games where he doesn't destroy the full back, it happens. 

He probably didn't get the credit he deserved from opposition fans during his time at Dunfermline. 

I thought QP were decent last night.
Showed real desire to play a bit of football, mixing it up by knocking it into the channels as well as closing down quickly.
The number 7 absolutely done our defender twice within 30 seconds to open the scoring.
Another boy was unlucky to be taken off injured after a 50/50 that neither backed out of and he unfortunately came out worst.
We equalised with a scrappy goal, calls for offside but it was actually the defender who played it back I think and big nat pounced.
Qps 2nd was an absolute beauty, 23-25 yards on the angle of the 18 yard line, top bag, lovely finish.
We then brought on callum Gallagher who done what I'd expect him to do and get into positions, and within minutes had scored a tap in.
Both teams went for the win with queens clipping the bar twice and Airdrie missing a golden chance after a cracking ball in from O'Reilly to Fordyce.
Excellent penalty shootout as well, finishing about 13-12!
A good nights entertainment and I reckon Queens can do very well in the league below if they can be lucky with injuries and suspensions.

7 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

He’s still no where near 100% fit after getting injured in the play off final, should never have started 

I assume Lennon wanted to give him a hour of game play rather than last 15-20 mins. Much more important we get him fit for league starting. I think it was pretty serious injury so don’t think he got much pre season done at all.

cant argue about the result thistle better team , championship team no surprise there cant stand him but millar was excellent when he came on the pitch ,cardle as well , surpised lyon didnt get a run out after a good sub perfirmance on saturday On to sunday Lennon can the excuse and more than likeky justified defeats to hamilton/ thistle not unexpected as leagues above us not got that luxury for sunday 10 days till league starts time to stop fannying about and get a starting 11 for east fife a week on saturday

8 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Main concern is that outside Cardle we have zero creativity, the 1st goal came from his blocked shot, the 2nd was a direct assist from the FK, and the 3rd was due to his pass in behind the LB for Williamson. Without obviously seeing Austin if JC gets injured we are in trouble.

Other concerns: we might be the smallest team in the SPFL and at set pieces we are going to leak goals, Joe Cardle man marking a Clyde player at the last corner of the game was terrifying. We switched off after every goal again.  Williamson will struggle against better wingers - and I can't believe Johnston fell as far as league 2 last season unless he's one of those guys that only plays well against us. O'Ware, Penrice, and Palmer all  being / getting injured clearly isn't good although we do have 10 days til our next game.

I've seen Thistle concede exactly 2 goals like Clyde's second in 32 years of going to Firhill and they've both been vs Clyde at Firhill. Sneddon should be in ahead of Fox.

Poistives: I always thought Cardle was an overrated showpony based on one hat trick vs us but if he can not shoot from 30 yards so often he will be key. McGinty won everything he was asked to and kept it simple.  Gordon is an enigma, hardly touches the ball at times then you realise he scored 2 and could easily have had 4 goals  tonight. De Vita will be class once up to speed. Was good for Miller to get a goal at Firhill as well. Also impressed with Callum Wilson's running and ball retention in the last few minutes, I'm not going to be too quick to write him off.

There were certainly one or two of things to be concerned about last night but I'd disagree that there's zero creativity. There were plenty of chances created last night from a number of areas.  Cardle, whilst having a good game overall, at times  impeded our creativity by taking the wrong option:being greedy, shooting when a quick pass was better. 

Thought the first half last night was miserable. We were way too pedestrian, constantly going backwards, had no urgency and were out-muscled upfront - although how slow we were playing and the long balls to our forwards didn't help us in that regard. Murray is obviously still experimenting with shapes and personnel but don't think last night's worked. Roy struggled to get into the game at times out wide and I don't think Wedderburn and Millar work well together in the same midfield. You want either of them to be your deep-lying midfielder that takes the ball off the defence and moves it forward. But at times Millar was our most advanced midfielder. And while he has his strengths that's really not where you want him to be playing. Hawkshaw and Thomson looked dangerous when they had the ball although there wasn't too much in the way of hard chances in the first half. Kerr had some nice touches with the ball but looked a little suspect at times at the back. Crighton's distribution on the other hand is still woeful but he's a solid enough hand at this level. Fordyce and Eckersley both look like class acts. 

I thought the second half was better though and the second half, and the penalty shootout, both ended up being thoroughly entertaining. I was impressed with Smith's work-rate. He harried the defenders and was able to win the ball and win back possession in dangerous areas a fair few times. Not sure he'll score many goals though TBH. Fair play to Murray for his substitutions, bringing on three attackers including taking off Crighton (thank f**k he didn't have to take a penalty) for Gallagher, and just going for it. It's the sort of baws oot approach he was known for at Dumbarton. I do think we should have brought Gallagher on much earlier right enough (considering we needed a goal essentially from the 5th minute onwards)  but was nice to see him score with what must have been his first touch. I hope he gets a proper run out on Saturday. And while both goals were scrappy, it was nice to score both from corners. 3 goals in two games from either a free-kick or a corner? What's going on? 

The penalty shootout was brilliant. 12-11 is easily my longest and it looked like I was maybe going to get a day off work today the way it was going. Encouraging too that the whole team, bar Callum Smith, were able to score. Hutton's penalty was a class finish and I was never in doubt when Big Nat stepped up to take his... Looking forward to watching back the highlights.

Overall it was good to get such a stern test from this game and we're going into Saturday's game still with the chance of finishing second and qualification which was always the aim. 

I should say too I was impressed with QP. Alfredo Agyeman was a real handful and Purdue's goal was a beauty. He was desperately unlucky too to hit the bar twice in quick succession near the end. QP were solid at the back and I think they'll do well this season. 

3 hours ago, Lord Rosebury said:

There were certainly one or two of things to be concerned about last night but I'd disagree that there's zero creativity. There were plenty of chances created last night from a number of areas.  Cardle, whilst having a good game overall, at times  impeded our creativity by taking the wrong option:being greedy, shooting when a quick pass was better. 

One thing I noticed about Cardle (more so in the 2nd half) was when he was running with space in front of him he seemed to check back alot, allowing us to get back into shape. Really could've done some serious damage to our defence if he was more direct the full game.

Lennon's going to lose the faith of the support in a hurry if he doesn't sign defenders and pack-in the nonsensical team selections.

McNiff with Syvertsen in front? I could've made it to the line in a pedalo past those two, nevermind one of the best wide-men outside the SPL.

Duffie with Cuddihy in front? You want your last line of defence to be as mobile as possible on a big pitch, against a fitter side. The big man thinks, turns and accelerates as a double-decker bus would. There's just no understanding having him there in view of the alternatives and in view of the direct opponents he'd come up against.

What else? You know I'd have gone 3-5-2 in order, among other reasons, to stop the opponents being able to walk into our half. But if it had to be 4-5-1, I'd have had Syvertsen up himself without any defensive responsibility because he's incapable of discharging it. He'd have done at least as well as the unfit Goodwillie. Smith would've come in on the left where he was considerably more effective in covering than Syvertsen. Cuddihy would've played right-back with McStay or Wallace in front.

The defence was a leaderless gang, centre-backs included, slow to organise itself and react espeically to set-plays, with the midfield ran-daft assisting them. As we've seen before, Grant is made into a dogs-body and can't do his usual game-reading, play-calming, attack-starting work in that circumstance. We only saw him do it in limited amounts last night and mostly when Thistle's intensity had let-up.

Looking honestly at the game, Thistle left our tallest player unmarked at a corner for the equaliser. And we got a flukey second. Grant, Johnston, Wallace and Fitzpatrick might take a few plaudits. Mitchell too, if he wasn't so punch-happy. We're fortunate that Thistle have the same weaknesses as they did last season, albeit somewhat remediated by Cardle and Miller. That is, that they don't have enough guile to win matches comfortably and they're without an especially clinical strikeforce. They've also got a bit of wobble going at the heart of their defence which doesn't bode terribly well.

Lastly, to defend Duffie for Miller's goal - or Duffie's OG, arguably - the pace of the play leading up to it and the quality of the run and jump Miller made wouldn't usually be seen outside of the SPL. Anyone - and I know some have - being harsh of Duffie for it might suggest another player who could've done better and who we could realistically have playing for us any time soon. I think (?) Lennon acknowledged this in his post-match comments.

Positives? I understand Lennon's mentioned that we're working very hard on improving the defence - hopefully that means signings, pronto.

Lennon's going to lose the faith of the support in a hurry if he doesn't sign defenders and pack-in the nonsensical team selections.

McNiff with Syvertsen in front? I could've made it to the line in a pedalo past those two, nevermind one of the best wide-men outside the SPL.

Duffie with Cuddihy in front? You want your last line of defence to be as mobile as possible on a big pitch, against a fitter side. The big man thinks, turns and accelerates as a double-decker bus would. There's just no understanding having him there in view of the alternatives and in view of the direct opponents he'd come up against.

What else? You know I'd have gone 3-5-2 in order, among other reasons, to stop the opponents being able to walk into our half. But if it had to be 4-5-1, I'd have had Syvertsen up himself without any defensive responsibility because he's incapable of discharging it. He'd have done at least as well as the unfit Goodwillie. Smith would've come in on the left where he was considerably more effective in covering than Syvertsen. Cuddihy would've played right-back with McStay or Wallace in front.

The defence was a leaderless gang, centre-backs included, slow to organise itself and react espeically to set-plays, with the midfield ran-daft assisting them. As we've seen before, Grant is made into a dogs-body and can't do his usual game-reading, play-calming, attack-starting work in that circumstance. We only saw him do it in limited amounts last night and mostly when Thistle's intensity had let-up.

Looking honestly at the game, Thistle left our tallest player unmarked at a corner for the equaliser. And we got a flukey second. Grant, Johnston, Wallace and Fitzpatrick might take a few plaudits. Mitchell too, if he wasn't so punch-happy. We're fortunate that Thistle have the same weaknesses as they did last season, albeit somewhat remediated by Cardle and Miller. That is, that they don't have enough guile to win matches comfortably and they're without an especially clinical strikeforce. They've also got a bit of wobble going at the heart of their defence which doesn't bode terribly well.

Lastly, to defend Duffie for Miller's goal - or Duffie's OG, arguably - the pace of the play leading up to it and the quality of the run and jump Miller made wouldn't usually be seen outside of the SPL. Anyone - and I know some have - being harsh of Duffie for it might suggest another player who could've done better and who we could realistically have playing for us any time soon. I think (?) Lennon acknowledged this in his post-match comments.

Positives? I understand Lennon's mentioned that we're working very hard on improving the defence - hopefully that means signings, pronto.
[emoji23] Wut? The pace leading up to it? From a set piece where the ball is stationary?

7 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

David Goodwillie was puffing through his hoop after his first couple of sprints last night. Will be hilarious to see him make a Gary O'Connor fat mess of himself for the rest of his career. 

As mentioned earlier, it was his first start since the play off final where he picked up an injury. He missed most of pre-season and has only made a few sub appearances since. Truthfully, he should never have started. He may be many things but (usually) unfit isn’t one of them!

3 hours ago, jaggyness said:

emoji23.png Wut? The pace leading up to it? From a set piece where the ball is stationary?

The intelligence, speed of thought and movement are what I'm alluding to. We don't see that kind of thing in the diddy leagues so much.

The intensity from you lot isn't what a part time team would bring to a midweek game.

Edited by Sao Paulo

It’s absolutely disgusting the abuse that’s dished out to the guy goodwillie, he’s a fantastic player for Clyde, they’re a different team when he’s playing, he fills the team with confidence, I watched young 6-7 year olds watch grown men shout “beast” and “rapist” at the guy for most of the time he played and it was totally out of order, rather sad in fact, it was a long time ago and he was found not guilty, for Christ sake give it a rest with the abuse, it’s not nice to listen to and very unfair for the younger supporters

2 hours ago, roger ram jet said:

It’s absolutely disgusting the abuse that’s dished out to the guy goodwillie, he’s a fantastic player for Clyde, they’re a different team when he’s playing, he fills the team with confidence, I watched young 6-7 year olds watch grown men shout “beast” and “rapist” at the guy for most of the time he played and it was totally out of order, rather sad in fact, it was a long time ago and he was found not guilty, for Christ sake give it a rest with the abuse, it’s not nice to listen to and very unfair for the younger supporters

1. He wasn't found 'Not guilty', it never made the courts in the first place. 

2. Disgusting or otherwise, i defend the right of any opposing supporter to boo, harass, and even slander our players as much as they wish. Get wired in, i say.  Primarily because i thoroughly enjoy doing it to theirs, but also because in these dystopian super-woke times we're in, for all the political gerrymandering and pontificating surrounding whats acceptable or not, it's largely the boorish, sweary, but ultimately honest regular supporters who know where the lines are, and who are the most loyal and ready-to-milk customers any business is likely to find. No one was abused over something without any control or choice in the matter (race/sex) so same rules apply. Good common sense officiating from the stewards in holding a decent threshold, for both sets of fans. Hopefully a meet in the Scottish Cup can generate another positively foul, loathsome atmosphere. Really missed it!

7 hours ago, Domino the Dug said:

1. He wasn't found 'Not guilty', it never made the courts in the first place. 

2. Disgusting or otherwise, i defend the right of any opposing supporter to boo, harass, and even slander our players as much as they wish. Get wired in, i say.  Primarily because i thoroughly enjoy doing it to theirs, but also because in these dystopian super-woke times we're in, for all the political gerrymandering and pontificating surrounding whats acceptable or not, it's largely the boorish, sweary, but ultimately honest regular supporters who know where the lines are, and who are the most loyal and ready-to-milk customers any business is likely to find. No one was abused over something without any control or choice in the matter (race/sex) so same rules apply. Good common sense officiating from the stewards in holding a decent threshold, for both sets of fans. Hopefully a meet in the Scottish Cup can generate another positively foul, loathsome atmosphere. Really missed it!

I think the actions of so called supporters who verbally attack opposing team players is outrageous.

I say this for a number of reasons;

1) Supporters don't do it to their own players. So their actions are clearly not based on a players previous history.

2) Some of the language and behaviours I have witnessed have been disgusting to watch and listen to, let alone for children to experience. We need to encourage the younger generation to attend games, these behaviours are not the way to do that.

3) If these behaviours were carried out anywhere else e.g. a street the person doing it could be charged quite rightly so with offences such as breach of the peace. I believe the authorities should act in the same way wherever these acts occur. Letting these behaviours happen at football games is unacceptable and supporters should report those who do it.

4) We have a criminal justice system and they have responsibilities to determine what should happen to individuals. People who believe they have a right to continue to have a go at people for things they may have or may not have done is wrong. A kangaroo court is a sign of a negative society. If someone has been dealt with by the authorities, that should be the end of the matter. People have a right to move on from any previous actions and punishme

A court found that David Goodwillie was, on the balance of probabilities, a rapist. I think raping someone is probably a bit more disgusting than shouting at people.

I think the actions of so called supporters who verbally attack opposing team players is outrageous.
I say this for a number of reasons;
1) Supporters don't do it to their own players. So their actions are clearly not based on a players previous history.
2) Some of the language and behaviours I have witnessed have been disgusting to watch and listen to, let alone for children to experience. We need to encourage the younger generation to attend games, these behaviours are not the way to do that.
3) If these behaviours were carried out anywhere else e.g. a street the person doing it could be charged quite rightly so with offences such as breach of the peace. I believe the authorities should act in the same way wherever these acts occur. Letting these behaviours happen at football games is unacceptable and supporters should report those who do it.
4) We have a criminal justice system and they have responsibilities to determine what should happen to individuals. People who believe they have a right to continue to have a go at people for things they may have or may not have done is wrong. A kangaroo court is a sign of a negative society. If someone has been dealt with by the authorities, that should be the end of the matter. People have a right to move on from any previous actions and punishme
If you slide tackled someone in the street you would be charged with assault. Shall we start arresting the players as well?