League Cup Group F

Reid

11 minutes ago, Nizzy said:
1 hour ago, Sting777 said:

Get that link in the f*cking bin. Pictures of him being stretchered out - ghouls.

Not great but the victim was pixelated.

Better team line out today: no Wallace in midfield and Cuddihy restored to right-back. Probably only a David Goodwillie away from our strongest line, actually. Though he's hardly an insignificant ommission of course.

I think if we put Duffie at left-back - yes, left-back - and had McNiff and Rumsby in the middle with Cuddihy on the right and - roughly - today's midfield, you'd be looking at our strongest 4-5-1 arrangement, with Goodie swapped-out for Svyersten or perhaps Smith/Lamont.

I think we could make a stronger 3-5-2, mind. But it'll be interesting to see how we do today.

I only come on this messageboard for the season-on-season sense of vindication it leaves me with. 'Oh Sao Paulo, you're panicking after friendlies and one game...'; 'The defence was unlucky...'. I was pilloried for foretelling doom immediately after Stuart Millar's first friendly game up at County, and then again after Chapman's second game. The posts still exist. I don't call them wrong.

Here's my attitude to player assessment in a friendly. Take Howie as a test case. Who is he? A centre-half with literally hundreds (200 - 250 in all comps) of appearances to his name with EK before he was even 23. In other words, an experienced defender; only McNiff's slightly more experienced in game terms, and by a small margin. But he's turned up looking, in bouts, timid, poorly-timed and not particularly mobile or dominant for his height. And I'm supposed to think... Ah, well, there's development time yet... When we're signing pedigreed, no-patience-required players like Johnston for other positions? Come on. If I'm being greedy, Lennon's encouraged that by doing the right thing for virtually every other position but for centre-half and left-back.

Happily, there's evidence to suggest that Lennon knows we need a few more players. It's best we treat the cup with contempt unless we get those players in before it ends - because we've little chance of progression. No actual panic is required at this point.

Edited by Sao Paulo

I only come on this messageboard for the season-on-season sense of vindication it leaves me with. 'Oh Sao Paulo, you're panicking after friendlies and one game...'; 'The defence was unlucky...'. I was pilloried for foretelling doom immediately after Stuart Millar's first friendly game up at County, and then again after Chapman's second game. The posts still exist. I don't call them wrong.

Here's my attitude to player assessment in a friendly. Take Howie as a test case. Who is he? A centre-half with literally hundreds (200 - 250 in all comps) of appearances to his name with EK before he was even 23. In other words, an experienced defender; only McNiff's slightly more experienced in game terms, and by a small margin. But he's turned up looking, in bouts, timid, poorly-timed and not particularly mobile or dominant for his height. And I'm supposed to think... Ah, well, there's development time yet... When we're signing pedigreed, no-patience-required players like Johnston for other positions? Come on. If I'm being greedy, Lennon's encouraged that by doing the right thing for virtually every other position but for centre-half and left-back.

Happily, there's evidence to suggest that Lennon knows we need a few more players. It's best we treat the cup with contempt unless we get those players in before it ends - because we've little chance of progression. No actual panic is required at this point.
self praise is no praise at all [emoji23]

entertaining game , thought going forward we look pretty good Johnston looks a terrific acquisition Lamont I thought played well Norway good first half but faded The defence I didn't think our centre backs were that bad , but mcniff OMG that's got to be one of the poorest left back performances well since the last one got caught wrong side continually and generally was all over the place , mcstay today worse than a man short DGW makes such a difference ( obviously ) all in all I think couple of defenders and I think we will have a pretty good season

We so nearly sneaked a draw at the end, but in truth it would have been a travesty if we did. Other than the first 10-15 minutes and the last period of the game when we were already 3 down, Airdrie pulled us over over the place. Could easily have been more than 3 before we pulled a goal back.

A couple of refereeing decisions worth a mention. The yellow for the tug on Smith in the first half (should it have been red ?) and the Clyde penalty. No idea what it was for. Only Steven McLean will know that. 

So that’s Clyde out of contention already. I fancied Airdrie to do well if they could find their shooting boots as they can create chances. Eckersley looks a great signing for League One. 

Airdie now have a shot at first place but if Thistle can beat Clyde on Wednesday we tie up the group without waiting on next weekend’s results. I can see Airdieonians giving Accies a hard time on Saturday now they’ve got a few goals in the tank.

All depends on whither Thistle can wrap things up midweek...🤷‍♂️

Seems straightforward enough on paper...

Edited by jagfox99