League Cup Group F

Reid

What a load of shite! Same story different season, we just love to kill any positivity going into a new season.

Did absolutely nothing first half, with Queens having the 2 best pieces of play. Then in the second when Queens were sitting back and holding on, we had no urgency to try and attack, it's like we were waiting for them to come out and open up, which is incredibly poor management.

Enjoy your night Queens fans your team came with a plan and executed it well, well worth your 2 points.

A very insignificant part of the game but, this jumping off your line rule is an absoulte farce! It's already hard enough to save a penalty without handicapping the keeper further, this needs looked at.

A very insignificant part of the game but, this jumping off your line rule is an absoulte farce! It's already hard enough to save a penalty without handicapping the keeper further, this needs looked at.

I have to agree, even though we got the benefit this time

Impressed and encouraged by the team's movement passing and work-rate today

2 hours ago, Owsley said:

Six defensive minded players at home to fourth tier Queen's Park? Okay. Would have thought this was the ideal game to play Lewis Smith. Don't see a lot of creativity in that line up.

Called it. So Rice couldn't pick a team to beat a side of amateurs who had seven making their debuts. That's encouraging. And he wanted to get to the final!

Optimism is for the season ahead is at an all time high for Accies fans right now.

So I thoroughly expect a 0-0 tomorrow to bring us back down to earth with a bang.
Nailed it

Early days, of course, but today’s performance would suggest that we are pretty far from the level we need to be at to mount any realistic title or playoff run.

I thought in the first half Airdrie were the better team, creating a few decent chances and being denied an absolutely blatant penalty for handball. Second half the tables turned and we should probably have scored at least another goal to make it more comfortable. The two number 7’s were the best players on the park, with Thomson(?) giving us a lot of bother down the right side, and Cardle eventually taking control of the game in the second.

Good results in the group for us, I suppose.

Well,that was 'Canningesque' and so reminiscent of last season's Betfred Cup stage.

A weaker defence minus Ziggy,Kilgannon and even Sowah who came onto a game,McGowan on the bench and central midfielder Ronan Hughes playing right wing back where he was dreadful under Canning shows Rice is not learning from his professor's mistakes.

Still no creativity in midfield and there needs to be a big,big improvement otherwise we won't get through this group.

Well done to Queens Park,been the early 1980's since their fans were last in Hamilton(at the old Douglas Park) and they were well organised and should be nobody's pushover this season.

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:55, Nightmare said:

Early days, of course, but today’s performance would suggest that we are pretty far from the level we need to be at to mount any realistic title or playoff run.

I thought in the first half Airdrie were the better team, creating a few decent chances and being denied an absolutely blatant penalty for handball. Second half the tables turned and we should probably have scored at least another goal to make it more comfortable. The two number 7’s were the best players on the park, with Thomson(?) giving us a lot of bother down the right side, and Cardle eventually taking control of the game in the second.

Good results in the group for us, I suppose.

Agree with the first half about the two number 7s "The two number 7’s were the best players on the park, with Thomson(?) giving us a lot of bother down the right side, and Cardle eventually taking control of the game in the second."  Totally disagree with the second half, felt as if the Thistle No 7 was just being  a passenger with the midfield and only participating when the ball was played to him, eventually being taken off.    I was impressed by Thistles No 16, (palmer I think), he was very aware, winning, biting, then giving the ball back to defence to slow it down while as they took control and in the last 20 minutes nearly all of his unsung work was stopping Airdrie midfield get any chance of a foothold . 

I was annoyed with Thistle on a few occasions, No width, the full backs playing with the three centers weren't wide enough and in second half, 'why oh why' thistle being 1.0 up, put everyone behind the ball. means when you clear it, it goes back to Airdrie defence who fire ball back in, just no OUT ball while putting themselves back under pressure, (if this continues to be the normal for Thistle I don't see it being a positive season). 

Thought the Airdrie keeper was superb today,  perfect in his positions and great reaction saves from at least 3 net bound goals which should have put Thistle in easy street had they scored.  Thistle deserved the win, no doubt.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread
more detail

52 minutes ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Well,that was 'Canningesque' and so reminiscent of last season's Betfred Cup stage.

A weaker defence minus Ziggy,Kilgannon and even Sowah who came onto a game,McGowan on the bench and central midfielder Ronan Hughes playing right wing back where he was dreadful under Canning shows Rice is not learning from his professor's mistakes.

Still no creativity in midfield and there needs to be a big,big improvement otherwise we won't get through this group.

Well done to Queens Park,been the early 1980's since their fans were last in Hamilton(at the old Douglas Park) and they were well organised and should be nobody's pushover this season.

We played Queen"s Park in the Scottish around 2003, drew late on at Hampden and won the replay at NDP. Twas the days of Gareth Armstrong and Allan Russell (whatever happened to him).

Letting Sowah go and signing Easton will surely go down as a terrible decision.