League Cup Group D

2 hours ago, Super Caley Man said:

I love it when fans of crap teams like Dundee slag off ICT''s style of play when they have been dog crap for years it gives me a good laugh that's for sure 😂

dry yer eyes tiny tears

Is Vincent still absolute dog eggs?

He’s just as I remember him at Dens. Keeps it simple but he doesn’t really have a standout attribute. He’s not brilliant on the ball, he’s not athletic, he’s not particularly physical or imposing, he’s not quick. He’s just OK but I’d imagine not that difficult to play against. The guy next to him is an absolute clogger though, not an ounce of football in him.

Can't think of a single positive for ICT today. Dundee fully deserved their win. Rock solid at the back and plenty of good attacking play in the first half with McGowan defying his years and abysmal hairline to dominate the middle of the pitch and link well with Nelson and Johnson. Probably should have been up by more than one goal at halftime though I felt we had a couple of decent chances to get on the scoresheet. Second half was just rotten from us with Dundee easily holding us at bay. Meekings looked class. Still can't believe that we didn't get a penalty for what looked to be a clear foul on White but the way we were playing we probably would have missed it.

After three rotten performances in the group stage it's hard to argue that we deserved to go through to the next round. Clearly a lot of work still to be done to get the team firing on all cylinders but based on today's match it's hard not to say that Dundee are much better equipped for going up compared to ourselves.

He’s just as I remember him at Dens. Keeps it simple but he doesn’t really have a standout attribute. He’s not brilliant on the ball, he’s not athletic, he’s not particularly physical or imposing, he’s not quick. He’s just OK but I’d imagine not that difficult to play against. The guy next to him is an absolute clogger though, not an ounce of football in him.

That will be Charlie Trafford. He is truly horrendous.

Caley have the makings of a good team. They have experience through the likes of Tremarco, an attacking threat in the likes of Doran, White and although he had an off game, Walsh. What you cannot do though is go into the league season with James Vincent and Charlie Trafford as your two central midfielders. They'll just get overrun time and time again. That David Carson just looks like another Vincent as well. Felt that Finlay Robertson, a 16 year old, Byrne and McGowan absolutely dominated the midfield area today.

Also the best I've seen from Marshall today. Looks much more attacking in style than Holt.

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Caley have the makings of a good team. They have experience through the likes of Tremarco, an attacking threat in the likes of Doran, White and although he had an off game, Walsh. What you cannot do though is go into the league season with James Vincent and Charlie Trafford as your two central midfielders. They'll just get overrun time and time again. That David Carson just looks like another Vincent as well. Felt that Finlay Robertson, a 16 year old, Byrne and McGowan absolutely dominated the midfield area today.

Vincent is perfectly fine for this level and is just as capable as Chalmers albeit less versatile. We really missed Welsh and Trafford, as others have mentioned, is absolute shite. Welsh and Vincent will do us adequately to (hopefully) bag a playoff place but any time Trafford is in the team I get the fear and we are definitely a poorer team when he is starting.

It’s the League Cup so the result means f**k all but this only highlights how much we need Sean Welsh back. He’s 10x the player that Carson, Vincent and Trafford are put together. The question is which of the 3 can play the Joe Chalmers role of ‘complete passenger who can pass the ball sideways’ next to Welsh.

Ridgers’ mistake is nothing to worry about, as he’s probably the best keeper in the league and is regularly our best player. Mistakes happen.

Really thought that ICT would of been one of the teams pushing us for the league title.

After todays display though,  I would be surprised if they made the play offs. For a team that needed a goal to stay in the tournament, they offered nothing at all, just cloggers. I don't think we even got out of first gear. 

We had a similar start to last season performance wise and I would be surprised if we are pushing for the title.
A playoff place with more points than last season would be a realistic target, anything more than that would be outstanding.

You can’t really take much from the result. The League Cup is so early that is throws up a lot of strange results. For example we looked poor against Peterhead and Dundee, beat Cove with a bit of a blip and then beat Raith comfortably. Dundee beat ourselves and Raith but struggled against Cove and Peterhead. We also have to remember that we’re playing without our best player by some distance, who I hope returns ASAP.

As for the title, yeah it should really be expected that it’s between the Dundee sides. The best we can probably hope for is 3rd again but any play-off spot would be good.