League Cup Group D

How's it worse than the old competition? Teams are guaranteed four matches in the competition instead of the usual one and even if they don't qualify it can be used as pre-season.

The penalties after a draw is a bit daft but harmless. It's streets ahead of the abysmal Challenge Cup.

It’s shite because I don’t like it. It’s right down there with the abysmal Challenge Cup.

Clubs get two guaranteed home games, rather than the possibility of one, but as it’s a league I suspect our chances of qualifying are poor. As we played Dundee and ICT first, the next two games were dead rubbers, so we got a massive crowd of 788 against Peterhead. Even the crowd for the Dundee game was nothing to shout about - 2584. In short, I don’t like it. I prefer a straight knock-out format.

It’s shite because I don’t like it. It’s right down there with the abysmal Challenge Cup.

Clubs get two guaranteed home games, rather than the possibility of one, but as it’s a league I suspect our chances of qualifying are poor. As we played Dundee and ICT first, the next two games were dead rubbers, so we got a massive crowd of 788 against Peterhead. Even the crowd for the Dundee game was nothing to shout about - 2584. In short, I don’t like it. I prefer a straight knock-out format.

Agreed. A cup should be a cup, not a league that eliminates about 60% of teams at the first hurdle in mainly meaningless, pre-season matches.

The only thing I would change about the league cup is that i would make the group stage random and not if you’re from the north or south of Scotland etc.

I don’t mind the current format for the time being but I do agree with your post. f**k the north and south divide. We just end up playing the same teams in every group each season. We’ve had Peterhead in our group three times since this format started.

17 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Both are utter shite tournaments. The only good thing about the LC is the ‘competitive pre-season’ effect. It’s still complete shite though and kills any chance of giant killings or cup runs for the majority of teams. Most fans don’t even care about it now.

The previous LC format was seeded throughout and played at the end of July when most clubs had at least their first team pretty much put together. There were far fewer 'giant killings' or 'cup runs' for smaller teams than in the current format: they just got dicked 6-0 in the first game and were out again for the season. 

The previous LC format was seeded throughout and played at the end of July when most clubs had at least their first team pretty much put together. There were far fewer 'giant killings' or 'cup runs' for smaller teams than in the current format: they just got dicked 6-0 in the first game and were out again for the season. 

I never said the previous one was better, it shouldn’t have been seeded. There will always be more chance of a ‘giant killing’ over 1 game than 4 games.

The penalty bonus point and the fact that over half of the teams are out in July just kills the interest for me and a lot of fans. You can see the same applies to a lot of managers who use it as a rotation/pre-season tournament. The Portuguese version of the tournament has a group stage much later.

Except that you don't actually need four 'giant killings' to progress, unless you're an absolute rabble like Berwick Rangers who have shipped 45 goals without scoring. East Kilbride can progress with a result tomorrow and they're a Lowland League team - any unseeded team simply needs to get one result from a seed and beat their (nominal) peers to go through. If you can't do that then you don't deserve to be in the last 16 of the competition anyway. 

Edited by vikingTON

21 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Both are utter shite tournaments. The only good thing about the LC is the ‘competitive pre-season’ effect. It’s still complete shite though and kills any chance of giant killings or cup runs for the majority of teams. Most fans don’t even care about it now.

Aye, the previous versions had giant killings galore. Plenty of lower league sides turning over top flight sides and the TV was all over it like a rash.

Don't talk pish.

16 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Sounds like you have no rational reason to dislike it and you are actually annoyed because you support a diddy club whose fans are disappearing like snow off a dyke.

Sounds like you have no rational reason to dislike it and you are actually annoyed because you support a diddy club whose fans are disappearing like snow off a dyke.

To be honest there were quite a few upsets from what I can remember in the old LC format. The last season had quite a few. The first year of the group format had a few upsets but has since reverted to a pretty boring, predictable pre-season kickabout where the top 2 seeded sides finish in the top 2 about 9 out of 10 times and some of the bigger sides rotate their squads.

I’m not slating whoever is in charge as the League Cup is always going to be hard to sell. I just personally am less than interested as are plenty of fans and managers clearly. It’s possibly my new big team mentality having seen my side in all 3 cup finals in the space of 4 years...

3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Edinburgh City 1-0 Diddy Club 😁

Maybe our club should follow  your clubs format by inflating attendances to make us look like a big club

I don’t like the current league format. Seems pretty rational. What part of that is irrational?

1-0 Cove. Benedictus overcommitted in the middle of the park and was left stranded. Watson came across to close down the run, and the ball was slipped into the channel he'd left behind. Good finish.

Probably a fairer reflection of the half than 0-0 would've been. The Rovers haven't managed to impose themselves on the game in any meaningful way.

Couple of half chances, but nothing more, whereas McGurn has had to make three or four good stops.

1-0 Cove. Benedictus overcommitted in the middle of the park and was left stranded. Watson came across to close down the run, and the ball was slipped into the channel he'd left behind. Good finish.

Probably a fairer reflection of the half than 0-0 would've been. The Rovers haven't managed to impose themselves on the game in any meaningful way.

Couple of half chances, but nothing more, whereas McGurn has had to make three or four good stops.

Are we actually trying or is it just a damage limitation excercise. The cup is a dead duck so I’m hoping for the latter. If not it could be a tough tough season ahead

Are we actually trying or is it just a damage limitation excercise. The cup is a dead duck so I’m hoping for the latter. If not it could be a tough tough season ahead

It’s a dead rubber game. This result will have no bearing on our season.