ali_91

League Cup - Group B

40 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Watson as a partner to Morris, I take it?

WTF. Yes, obviously. 

Sunday drinking is for losers.

Hiya Saintees, since you're out, do you fancy gifting us the 3 points next Saturday? Ta muckle

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Really not sure why you thought citing league and cup performances from fully six years ago would be an argument against Wright having run out of ideas right now, in 2019. Indeed it only confirms the idea that Wright should bailed out a couple of years ago, instead of trying to do the same thing yet again with an ageing and diminished squad. It’s a case of stale management and diminishing returns.

Says TW is outdated and run out of ideas.

Tries to troll using bait that became irrelevant three years ago.

Couldn't make it up.

This competition begins before the league season gets underway. Say no more. Utterly tinpot. St. Johnstone are bigger than the League Cup.

7 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

This competition begins before the league season gets underway. Say no more. Utterly tinpot. St. Johnstone are bigger than the League Cup.

^  ^  ^

About the same height as it on his tip-toes. 

16 hours ago, ali_91 said:

With all due respect, Saints don’t have an ageing team, and that comment suggests you don’t really know what you’re talking about. Kerr, Gordon, Tanser, Kennedy and Wright are all under 25 and are five guaranteed starters. Zander Clark is 27 as well, which is young enough for a keeper. 

That'll be why Steven Anderson (47) covered himself in such glory yesterday then. I very much doubt that another Premiership manager would even think about playing jobbers like that against Premiership opposition; whereas Wright is more loyal to players who are well past their best now due to what they were capable of doing for him in the past. 

8th and 7th in the last two years is still above what you’d expect from a club with our budget. 

Not convinced that it really is all that given the likes of Livingston are now in the division, but that's still not actually relevant to my point. Wright has simply hung around too long and has run out of ideas - I'm not claiming that he's suddenly a terrible manager. To stay at one club and try a similar approach year after year eventually leads to diminishing returns for the vast majority of managers and that is what you're experiencing right now. Wright's own managerial stock has also declined over the last few years, so that while he'll continue to be regarded as a safe pair of hands for a similar, top flight provincial club to Saint Johnstone, his prospects of managing a larger club within Scottish football have fallen away. 

It was certainly in Wright's best interests to move on before now, and now the club is also experiencing the downsides of stale management practices.

Edited by vikingTON

58 minutes ago, virginton said:

That'll be why Steven Anderson (47) covered himself in such glory yesterday then. I very much doubt that another Premiership manager would even think about playing jobbers like that against Premiership opposition; whereas Wright is more loyal to players who are well past their best now due to what they were capable of doing for him in the past. 

Not convinced that it really is all that given the likes of Livingston are now in the division, but that's still not actually relevant to my point. Wright has simply hung around too long and has run out of ideas - I'm not claiming that he's suddenly a terrible manager. To stay at one club and try a similar approach year after year at the same club eventually leads to diminishing returns for the vast majority of managers and that is what you're experiencing right now. Wright's own managerial stock has also declined over the last few years, so that while he'll continue to be regarded as a safe pair of hands for a similar, top flight provincial club to Saint Johnstone, his prospects of managing a larger club within Scottish football have fallen away. 

It was certainly in Wright's best interests to move on before now, and now the club is also experiencing the downsides of stale management practices.

Got to admire your refusal to back down, even after getting your point firmly rejected. Fair play. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

We only have two fit centre halves.

If only there was someone at Saint Johnstone who was responsible for recruiting a credible squad in time for the start of a new season, as opposed to wheeling out a laundry list of excuses for being dung. 

Difficult to disagree regarding the squad to be honest. We've been unlucky with injuries, but going into the league cup campaign with 5 fit defenders  -one of whom looks a shadow of the player he was - is a bit ridiculous. 3 weeks ago Wright said he hoped to have another left back signed in '5-7 days' and that left back now seems to be on St Mirren's radar rather than ours.

The age of the squad was a problem a couple of years ago but that's not really the issue now. I would question whether losing so many experienced players and winners has affected the character in our squad. We used to be excellent at picking up points from losing positions - we picked up 25 points that way the year Dundee United got relegated - whereas now we're almost guaranteed to get beat if we fall behind.

On top of those two issues, we've got 3 strikers who couldn't score if their lives depended on it. Our left back and penalty taker is pretty much guaranteed to outscore all 3 of them and I wouldn't be surprised if he scored more than their combined total.

2 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Play the reserves on Saturday? Please?

We dont have reserves.

Theres a fair old chance our new striker will be making his debut against you, and I feel like the squad will be desperate to make a point. We could've destroyed County in the first 30 minutes yesterday, if that side turns up with a striker who can actually contribute to chances...

Edited by RandomGuy.

If only there was someone at Saint Johnstone who was responsible for recruiting a credible squad in time for the start of a new season, as opposed to wheeling out a laundry list of excuses for being dung. 

You really don’t do irony do you? Morton fan calling Saints dung. You couldn’t make it up although I guess your experience of dung is much more extensive than most.

We dont have reserves.
Theres a fair old chance our new striker will be making his debut against you, and I feel like the squad will be desperate to make a point. We could've destroyed County in the first 30 minutes yesterday, if that side turns up with a striker who can actually contribute to chances...

“a fair old chance”. “I feel like”. “We could’ve “. “if that side turns up”. Confidence running high then.

Just now, theoriginalhedge said:

Now that we have most of our squad available I think Wednesday could be quite interesting . 

We've picked up another injury 😂

Could be a very healthy Saints crowd at Forfar is May is debuting that day

Could be a very healthy Saints crowd at Forfar is May is debuting that day

Doubt he’s going to sign for Forfar, but you seem to be ITKAF so I guess it’s happening.

17 hours ago, john1962 said:

You really don’t do irony do you? Morton fan calling Saints dung. You couldn’t make it up although I guess your experience of dung is much more extensive than most.

Oh I'm sorry, Saint Johnstone's total swording at the hands of Montrose and exit from the competition before the Open wrapped up for the year was actually the result of some breathtaking, top notch football.