Learning new languages

Just now, Northboy said:

I've no idea when your day might have been (or will be) but I did O grades in the mid 1980s and they were graded then.

Late 60s. (Which, coincidentally, is my age now.)

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:
5 minutes ago, Northboy said:

ve no idea when your day might have been (or will be) but I did O grades in the mid 1980s and they were graded then.

Late 60s. (Which, coincidentally, is my age now.)

Fair enough, you're doing well if you can still read a bit of French after so many years. 

2 minutes ago, Northboy said:

Fair enough, you're doing well if you can still read a bit of French after so many years. 

Seulement un peu...

Maybe I had good teachers, haven't studied it (or used it, really) in 50+ years.

Edited by Jacksgranda

• 3 weeks later...

I think a lot of it is forcing yourself to think in the language like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, and an acceptance that you're never going to be completely colloquially fluent in a language unless you were brought up in that environment. I speak French reasonably fluently but when I've asked native speakers what my efforts sound like, the honest opinion is that I speak the language in a slow, stilted sounding way with a distinct Germanic rather than English-sounding accent...I was told that my accent wasn't a million miles away from a Strasbourg one.

On 15/05/2021 at 14:03, Blootoon87 said:

Does anyone know good sites to buy books in other languages? Swedish really. I can get e-books no problem but I prefer an actual book.

I know it's stating the obvious a bit, but when I was getting into Spanish I found a few good novels for beginners on amazon.