Learning new languages

Have completed Italian on Duolingo (and also English for Italian users) and have used Hello Talk but after an initial burst of people chatting etc. it soon ended up not being used very often. Have also listened to a Linguaphone CD in the car and listen to Rai Radio occasionally and watch Montalbano (obviously). I wouldn't say I'm fluent but I can hold a conversation.

I'm also doing the Dutch, French, Hungarian and Polish Duolingo courses just to top up a few words here and there for holidays etc. (I'm off to French on a school trip this week so I've been battering through the French course). The problem I'll have is that I'll almost revert to Italian when I'm in France and I think that'll be the hardest thing for me when I'm trying to talk to folk.

I’ve been learning German, using Duolingo is handy but reading German football magazines and mostly listening to German music is helping a lot! Listening to Helene Fischer (Hot as f**k btw), Beatrice Egli, Maite Kelly, Roland Kaiser etc etc is doing absolute wonders. Makes understanding lot better!

I’ve been learning German, using Duolingo is handy but reading German football magazines and mostly listening to German music is helping a lot! Listening to Helene Fischer (Hot as f**k btw), Beatrice Egli, Maite Kelly, Roland Kaiser etc etc is doing absolute wonders. Makes understanding lot better!

Feck that krautpop shecht.........Rammstein and Dagmar Krause are where it’s at in the Reich ........

[emoji41]

12 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

How many cunning linguists are on P and B?

I'm trying to learn Swedish just now and have finished Duolingo, been watching films with Swedish subtitles, follow Swedish people on twitter etc.

Any other tips other than moving to Sweden?

Min svenska är ok. Jag har tre tvåspråkiga barn och har varit i Sverige många gånger.

It is a bit of a hobby language so it will take you less than a month living there to grasp the daily essentials as long as you watch subtitled telly and read Svenska Dagbladet with a dictionary.

9 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Schlager music is the work of the Devil. Horrible stuff. That fucking “Artem los” song is also the only song I have ever seen Swiss people get animated over in a pub.

Min svenska är ok. Jag har tre tvåspråkiga barn och har varit i Sverige många gånger.
It is a bit of a hobby language so it will take you less than a month living there to grasp the daily essentials as long as you watch subtitled telly and read Svenska Dagbladet with a dictionary.
I was in Umeå last year and started speaking a bit of Swedish to a local in the pub. He thought I was Polish. I told him I was Scottish and he went on about Mikael Lustig as he is from Umeå. He wasn't best pleased when I told him that Lustig is pish.

I've been learning Spanish for a few years now as my girlfriend is from there, been over a few times and felt bad that folk were having to make an effort to remember the English they learned in high school to make conversation with me. Just wait till I can speak some Spanish and they find out how shite my chat actually is.

I've been using the Memrise app for vocabulary and having a 1 hour lesson every week with a Spanish tutor, mostly just having a conversation entirely in Spanish. Also been trying to substitute in as much Spanish for English as I can when I'm speaking to my girlfriend to be speaking more often. She's always watching some inane Spanish reality shows so there's a lot of Spanish being spoken in the house.

Problem I've got is that I've hit a bit of a plateau with it, I'm decent enough, can have a very slow conversation and I understand/can use the different tenses and structure sentences. I've been at that level for a while now and I don't think I've gotten better in a long while other than having more vocabulary. Still takes me forever to process people speaking in Spanish so i'm finding it tough to have conversations as I have these massive gaps where I'm translating in my head.

I reckon immersion is the way to go, I've not been reading in Spanish or switching all my media to Spanish yet as it feels like a big step at the moment.

14 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Feck that krautpop shecht.........Rammstein and Dagmar Krause are where it’s at in the Reich ........

emoji41.png

Ooft I hate metal music :lol: 

7 hours ago, Ross. said:

Schlager music is the work of the Devil. Horrible stuff. That fucking “Artem los” song is also the only song I have ever seen Swiss people get animated over in a pub.

Atemlos durch die nacht. Great song! The bassflow remix is easily her best tune, Achterbahn, Wir Zwei and Ich will immer wieder (dieses fieber spürn) are cracking as well. 

Special mention to Ingo ohne Flamingo and all that Crazy Ballermann Malle Schlager shite :lol: 

1 minute ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Ooft I hate metal music :lol: 

Atemlos durch die nacht. Great song! The bassflow remix is easily her best tune, Achterbahn, Wir Zwei and Ich will immer wieder (dieses fieber spürn) are cracking as well. 

Special mention to Ingo ohne Flamingo and all that Crazy Ballermann Malle Schlager shite :lol: 

Die Toten Hosen are the gods of German language music. Fantastic live act as well.

I spent 10 years in Hong Kong and learned next to no Cantonese and have been in the Philippines for more than 4 years and learned next to nothing of the local lingo.  The problem in both places is that English is widely used, at least widely enough to cover what I need, so I have had no incentive to learn.  

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I spent 10 years in Hong Kong and learned next to no Cantonese and have been in the Philippines for more than 4 years and learned next to nothing of the local lingo.  The problem in both places is that English is widely used, at least widely enough to cover what I need, so I have had no incentive to learn.  

...apart from basic fucking politeness and not acting like a total gammon of course.

28 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I have a question for anyone who's learning or learned other languages. Do you think in the new language, or do you still think in English?

Still think in English, but I mostly speak English anyway.