Dundee United 2019/2020

Thoughts on some players:

Deniz - Good competition for Siegrist

Sporle - Great finish for his goal. But wasn’t convincing apart from that. Certainly not an orthodox LB.

Butcher - What every team needs. An aggressive force in midfield that wins the ball. Unfortunately the rest of his game just isn’t good enough.

Stanton - Every now and then I watch him and think, this guy has something, then he gives the ball away 10 seconds later.

Banks - This kid is good. Not sure just how good yet, but he certainly doesn’t need to go out on loan again. Will be a good option for us.

Clark - Simply isn’t a no.10. Not sure why Neilson doesn’t see this.

Shankland - Missed a couple of very good chances, but I’m impressed. Does a lot more than just score goals.

Both Appere and Chalmers did well in their limited time on the park.

A few positives. Banks was very good first half, great cross for Shankland goal but faded imo. Looks a prospect no doubt about it. So does Appere!

3 goals and dominated the game but would still like them to be more positive, far too many side ways passes and not moving it quick enough for me. Should have scored another 2 or 3.

Still need that No10 type player that can unlock defences with one pass.

Shankland will score a barry load.

Liam Smith looks like a real find, very very comfortable on the ball and looks to get forward.

It was only Cowdenbeath but have to be happy overall.

Posted this on tek

On to the game!

Sporle big improvement, weird how rather than going outside winger he goes inside but it worked and that’s how he got his goal which was a absolute brilliant ball by shankland

The young lads will play a part this season, apeare and banks are excellent and chalmers has definitely got something about him, best batch of youth since gauld etc

Smith is a huge player for us this season at right back been really impressed by him so far

Shankland is more than a finisher than I thought he was tbh, his movement, pressing, touch, link up play are all brilliant, we’ve got a absolute gem of a player, well 100% make money off this boy

And another thing, we’ve been moaning about the slow build up play, see for instance if Reynolds has the ball instead of passing it to Connolly for then him to pass to smith it should be Reynolds straight to smith, would make the transition of defence to attack so much quicker

50 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Thoughts on some players:

Deniz - Good competition for Siegrist

Sporle - Great finish for his goal. But wasn’t convincing apart from that. Certainly not an orthodox LB.

Butcher - What every team needs. An aggressive force in midfield that wins the ball. Unfortunately the rest of his game just isn’t good enough.

Stanton - Every now and then I watch him and think, this guy has something, then he gives the ball away 10 seconds later.

Banks - This kid is good. Not sure just how good yet, but he certainly doesn’t need to go out on loan again. Will be a good option for us.

Clark - Simply isn’t a no.10. Not sure why Neilson doesn’t see this.

Shankland - Missed a couple of very good chances, but I’m impressed. Does a lot more than just score goals.

Both Appere and Chalmers did well in their limited time on the park.

I'm in a similar place regarding Stanton. However it looks like he may be in favour with Neilson at the moment.

On the whole I thought we were pretty tentative up until the opening goal. We were exposed at the back a couple of times prior to Spörle scoring. Banks though was excellent throughout the first 45 mins.

The 2nd half was generally pretty decent. The two goals were excellent headers from Shankland and Appere, keeper stranded for both. Appere continues to impress, even with just a short appearance tonight. On the other hand I'm not convinced by Chalmers yet.

I thought Connolly had a good game, albeit only after taking an early booking for bringing down the Cowdenbeath attacker who'd just skinned him.

I suspect that tonight's starting line up will be more or less the same for the league opener against ICT. Only exceptions being Siegrist for Mehmet - who did well when needed tonight - and Banks for Robson potentially.

4 minutes ago, captainkev said:

I'm in a similar place regarding Stanton. However it looks like he may be in favour with Neilson at the moment.

On the whole I thought we were pretty tentative up until the opening goal. We were exposed at the back a couple of times prior to Spörle scoring. Banks though was excellent throughout the first 45 mins.

The 2nd half was generally pretty decent. The two goals were excellent headers from Shankland and Appere, keeper stranded for both. Appere continues to impress, even with just a short appearance tonight. On the other hand I'm not convinced by Chalmers yet.

I thought Connolly had a good game, albeit only after taking an early booking for bringing down the Cowdenbeath attacker who'd just skinned him.

I suspect that tonight's starting line up will be more or less the same for the league opener against ICT. Only exceptions being Siegrist for Mehmet - who did well when needed tonight - and Banks for Robson potentially.

While I agree that it’s likely, I really hope Robson doesn’t come back in for Banks. Nowhere near as direct as banks and as we’ll look to be on the front foot we don’t need a defensive winger who’ll likely just impede Spörle without creating much himself. Agreed that Neilson will probably go with the conservative option.

20 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Posted this on tek

On to the game!

Sporle big improvement, weird how rather than going outside winger he goes inside but it worked and that’s how he got his goal which was a absolute brilliant ball by shankland

The young lads will play a part this season, apeare and banks are excellent and chalmers has definitely got something about him, best batch of youth since gauld etc

Smith is a huge player for us this season at right back been really impressed by him so far

Shankland is more than a finisher than I thought he was tbh, his movement, pressing, touch, link up play are all brilliant, we’ve got a absolute gem of a player, well 100% make money off this boy

And another thing, we’ve been moaning about the slow build up play, see for instance if Reynolds has the ball instead of passing it to Connolly for then him to pass to smith it should be Reynolds straight to smith, would make the transition of defence to attack so much quicker

Shankland's a joy to watch when on form, his goals are just a bonus, personally think he'll be a better number 10 when he goes up the levels.

1 minute ago, PartyFears2 said:

He’ll do more than just score goals this season.

2 goals & 2 assists in 3 games so far, is it?

That’s what I make it.  

Including his goal at Dumbarton that’s 3 headers in his first 4 starts.  Never realised he was so good in the air.  Boy’s got bit of everything, maybe not blistering pace but he’s sharp and anticipates things.  Strong with a good first touch.  Thought he was a great signing at the time and so far he’s showing it.

Good performance and good result; 3-0 flattered the opposition who certainly looked a level below us.  Can’t remember us dominating a game like that for a while.

Not the formation I would have wanted but far more effective than 4-2-3-1.

Shankland and Banks both had superb games.

Sporle's an odd one. Some very nice play from him tonight including some cracking crosses and a good goal but his positioning is very unorthodox. He seems to want to adopt a centre forward position as soon as we gain possession. That's fine on occasion but he completely abandons the wing. That's surely going to cost us against better teams. Clearly a good player; I'm not convinced he's a full back.

Edited by Pull My Strings