Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You think we should play one up front on Tuesday?

I am fairly resigned that we'll play with one up front, regardless of what I think we should do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see a Cammy Smith and Shankland partnership tbh. Being good friends with each other you would hope that they would click on the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'd love to see a Cammy Smith and Shankland partnership tbh. Being good friends with each other you would hope that they would click on the field. 

I could live with a 4-2-3-1 if the 3 behind Shankland were Banks, C Smith and McMullan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty teams play successfully with one up front, imo our biggest issue is not picking the right guys to play in the 3. Assuming McMullan starts I'd love to see us go with any 2 from Banks, Appere and C.Smith. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Neilson is determined to play one up front why go for Shankland?  Why not go for a striker who has a track record in that role?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Against Raith

Vs

Against hearts

Just let that sink in.
You mean you couldn't beat hearts, against 10 men ? I mean even we could beat them and that's when they have 11 men..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I could live with a 4-2-3-1 if the 3 behind Shankland were Banks, C Smith and McMullan.

I reckon that would work very well. I've no issue with the actual formation it just needs to be used more effectively with better link up between the players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Shankland is capable of playing up front on his own but his success (or lack of) is going to depend on what we're trying to do and what we're expecting from him. If we're away to hoof high balls at the guy or look for him to be holding it up 30 - 40 yards from goal I'll probably want to top myself before we reach the end of August. If the attacking 3 get close to him and we're getting him service in and around the box he'll do fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand a cautious approach in the line up at Tynecastle, but Ochilview?

Get 2 up, some real width & entertain ffs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, coppola said:

I think Shankland is capable of playing up front on his own but his success (or lack of) is going to depend on what we're trying to do and what we're expecting from him. If we're away to hoof high balls at the guy or look for him to be holding it up 30 - 40 yards from goal I'll probably want to top myself before we reach the end of August. If the attacking 3 get close to him and we're getting him service in and around the box he'll do fine. 

In other words if Neilson continues to persist with the style of 4-2-3-1 we played last season then it will be ineffective?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In other words if Neilson continues to persist with the style of 4-2-3-1 we played last season then it will be ineffective?
You don't like Neilson huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be me for Tuesday. Neilson mentioned that Stanton picked up a small injury so he might be rested. I would maybe start Appere but maybe leave that for the other games.

IMG_2600.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

This would be me for Tuesday. Neilson mentioned that Stanton picked up a small injury so he might be rested. I would maybe start Appere but maybe leave that for the other games.

IMG_2600.jpg

I’d be more than happy with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go ...

Siegrist

Smith .. Connolly .. Reynolds .. Sporle

McMullan .. Harkes .. Butcher .. Banks

Shankland .. Appere

Although we probably need to start Cammy Smith or look to move him on. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, stumigoo said:

This would be me for Tuesday. Neilson mentioned that Stanton picked up a small injury so he might be rested. I would maybe start Appere but maybe leave that for the other games.

IMG_2600.jpg

 

We should be treating the remaining games as pre-season and rotating accordingly.

Give the kids and fringe players a chance to impress too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ArabFC said:

 

We should be treating the remaining games as pre-season and rotating accordingly.

Give the kids and fringe players a chance to impress too.

Not for me, I would be making sure each game is taken seriously and from the way Neilson is speaking I think that is the plan. We rotated heavily and used different teams last year and were caught out when the league started. I'd be focusing on a core group of 16/17 with the strongest team possible in each fixture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My overriding memory from last years group stage was Csaba complaining that you should’ve been allowed to make 5 changes instead of 3, then proceeding to make 1 change in the first game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...