Dundee United 2019/2020

18 minutes ago, Crawford said:

With you lot signing shankland is that safranko off the agenda?

I would certainly assume so, I also believe that the transfer fee that Aalborg are looking for is considered unrealistic. 

I am not sure what the exact figure is but I have seen between £500k to £1M mentioned over the last few weeks. 

19 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

I would certainly assume so, I also believe that the transfer fee that Aalborg are looking for is considered unrealistic. 

I am not sure what the exact figure is but I have seen between £500k to £1M mentioned over the last few weeks. 

A Safranko type player with good positional sense doing all the hard work would be a perfect partner for Shankland.  

That’s if he’s not shunted out wide.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

A Safranko type player with good positional sense doing all the hard work would be a perfect partner for Shankland.  

That’s if he’s not shunted out wide.

Shankland puts in a hell of a shift himself to be fair - he was always miles better at Ayr with Moffat who did less running but was excellent on the ball than with Moore who is all energy but not a lot else.  

I actually think Liam Smith might end up being the better signing of the two for you guys.  A superb right back. 

1 minute ago, Hursty said:

Shankland puts in a hell of a shift himself to be fair - he was always miles better at Ayr with Moffat who did less running but was excellent on the ball than with Moore who is all energy but not a lot else.  

I actually think Liam Smith might end up being the better signing of the two for you guys.  A superb right back. 

I’m not suggesting he’s not a hard worker, and you might know better, but he seems a natural goal scorer and someone who could assist him in that respect is what we need.

No, it was an abysmal attempt at a pass from the other centre half that let us in for the third.

My perception of it at the time was that was a poor pass, but Reynolds still should have been able to control it and then get round to prevent a clear shot at goal.
However happy to be corrected, you would have had a better view.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not suggesting he’s not a hard worker, and you might know better, but he seems a natural goal scorer and someone who could assist him in that respect is what we need.

Or use him to link up with a goalscorer if you don't have a better number 10.

10 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

My perception of it at the time was that was a poor pass, but Reynolds still should have been able to control it and then get round to prevent a clear shot at goal.
However happy to be corrected, you would have had a better view.

That was my view on it too. Reynolds at fault at that goal. 

Robson at fault at the second with his fresh air swipe

My tuppence worth from yesterday. 

I know it was only a friendly, but that was yet more of the insipid, lackadaisical play we've become accustomed to over the last few years. 

Really poor by Neilson subbing Glass who'd only come on as a sub at half time (that did happen  didn't it?). The boy was a having a bit of nightmare (typified by hitting the post before Shankland's goal), but his confidence will have been shot to pieces now. 

Was impressed by Dumbarton's trialist #16. The type of player we could do with ourselves 

Edited by Steven W

2 hours ago, Steven W said:

My tuppence worth from yesterday. 

I know it was only a friendly, but that was yet more of the insipid, lackadaisical play we've become accustomed to over the last few years. 

Really poor by Neilson subbing Glass who'd only come on as a sub at half time (that did happen  didn't it?). The boy was a having a bit of nightmare (typified by hitting the post before Shankland's goal), but his confidence will have been shot to pieces now. 

Was impressed by Dumbarton's trialist #16. The type of player we could do with ourselves 

We've subbied the subs a couple of times during these pre-season games so it probably is something Glass and the younger players were aware of before the pre-season games.

Neilson mentioned yesterday that they will now begin to cut back on the squad in terms of sending a few young players out on loan and back to the reserves. I think it is the case that Appere is probably at the head of the queue and certainly ahead of someone like Matty Smith now. Based on the pre-season games I can see - 

Appere - 1st Team opportunity

Banks - 1st Team opportunity

Chalmers - 1st Team opportunity

Glass - Loan

Graham - Loan

Mochrie - Loan

M.Smith - Loan

18 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

We've subbied the subs a couple of times during these pre-season games so it probably is something Glass and the younger players were aware of before the pre-season games.

Neilson mentioned yesterday that they will now begin to cut back on the squad in terms of sending a few young players out on loan and back to the reserves. I think it is the case that Appere is probably at the head of the queue and certainly ahead of someone like Matty Smith now. Based on the pre-season games I can see - 

Appere - 1st Team opportunity

Banks - 1st Team opportunity

Chalmers - 1st Team opportunity

Glass - Loan

Graham - Loan

Mochrie - Loan

M.Smith - Loan

Mochrie only turned 16 in April so is too young to go out on loan

Banks is 18 and will prob go back out on Loan, didnt feature at yesterday isnt injured which is telling

Think the rest are 19+

Sure I read Mochrie is staying on at school after the summer to do Highers, so probably just be staying with united rather than going on loan - unless to one of the local clubs.

I think we need to keep one of Chalmers or Appere as 4th choice striker.   Think Matty Smith probably needs to leave permanently for the good of his career.

if as expected we sign another winger/attacking midfielder then Banks and Glass will probably be loaned out too

I’ve never understood why in Scotland we assume all players are too young at 17/18.

Maybe most would benefit from loan deals but there are some players of that age could make a contribution in the first team.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve never understood why in Scotland we assume all players are too young at 17/18.

Maybe most would benefit from loan deals but there are some players of that age could make a contribution in the first team.

Because they're generally too small physically. Until we start pumping kids full of PEDs and steroids like a Country just South if us, itll remain that way.