Dundee United 2019/2020

28 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I want to say yes but we've had so many players return and be doag shite. 

Butchers been good since returning though, so on that basis alone I'm saying yes theres literally zero chance of anything going wrong with signing Swanson. None. 

In al seriousness he would be good as a no 10 in the 4231 RN deploys. 

How has he gone down at the Fermers?

He was superb for us in previous spells as a LW, but this time around was simply unable to get past Kennedy and into the team there.

Take the LW position as occupied, and with us usually either playing 3 men central, with one more defensive and two sort of box to box, he doesnt fit anywhere there, or 4-4-2, and he doesnt fit anywhere there.

Start of this season he was getting played as a 10 behind May, and set up a great goal through pure quality...

3dpr2a.gif.e9d7548cd2d8d8c7895f63c2123f8651.gif

... but we weren't winning games. We went away to St Mirren and he was completely anonymous as we got humped. The manager switched us to be more solid with a deeper midfield, and Swanson was sacrificed as Kennedy had that LW spot nailed down.

We hit form so no reason to change things.

Kennedy left in January, Wotherspoon got given a chance as a LW and scored 2 goals to win us a game, and then we hit another patch of form that dragged Saints from 12th to 6th.

I feel sorry for him, as he never got a run in his best position or in a settled side during this spell with us. He definitely still has something to give at top flight level but will need a squad built to make up for his weaknesses. He was apparently a high earner and as has been said, wasnt even really making squads anymore by the end. 

9 hours ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Would u take Danny Swanson back for a season, getting released from st j???? 

Not for me, hope we stay clear of injury prone players from now on. He's being linked with a move to the fun in today's paper. Was a joy to watch when with us though

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was superb for us in previous spells as a LW, but this time around was simply unable to get past Kennedy and into the team there.

Take the LW position as occupied, and with us usually either playing 3 men central, with one more defensive and two sort of box to box, he doesnt fit anywhere there, or 4-4-2, and he doesnt fit anywhere there.

Start of this season he was getting played as a 10 behind May, and set up a great goal through pure quality...

3dpr2a.gif.e9d7548cd2d8d8c7895f63c2123f8651.gif

... but we weren't winning games. We went away to St Mirren and he was completely anonymous as we got humped. The manager switched us to be more solid with a deeper midfield, and Swanson was sacrificed as Kennedy had that LW spot nailed down.

We hit form so no reason to change things.

Kennedy left in January, Wotherspoon got given a chance as a LW and scored 2 goals to win us a game, and then we hit another patch of form that dragged Saints from 12th to 6th.

I feel sorry for him, as he never got a run in his best position or in a settled side during this spell with us. He definitely still has something to give at top flight level but will need a squad built to make up for his weaknesses. He was apparently a high earner and as has been said, wasnt even really making squads anymore by the end. 

Interesting. He played a lot of games wide right for us, cutting inside and linking up the play. Always seemed to be out muscled in the hustle and bustle when central.

Maybe a 4231 with him in one of the attacking roles would suit him, as I said before, with Neilson using that a fair bit. Hes always had huge quality but it's either a mental or a physical thing that holds him back.

Loved him when he was at us first time round.

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Interesting. He played a lot of games wide right for us, cutting inside and linking up the play. Always seemed to be out muscled in the hustle and bustle when central.

Maybe a 4231 with him in one of the attacking roles would suit him, as I said before, with Neilson using that a fair bit. Hes always had huge quality but it's either a mental or a physical thing that holds him back.

Loved him when he was at us first time round.

We tried him right at points but he never got going.

Comfortably best for us on a sort of free role on the left.

Biggest issue was he needs played constantly to build up consistency, and I dont think hes played regularly for about 4 years now. In his best season for us he just got played through bad games/dips in form and eventually recovered.

Edited by RandomGuy.

7 minutes ago, Dele said:

That goal isn't 'pure quality' FWIW. That is a poor pass and *I can't put into words how bad* defending. Just what the f**k was Fontaine doing? :lol:

A perfectly weighted through ball from 20 yards, with the outside of his foot, is a "poor pass"?

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A perfectly weighted through ball from 20 yards, with the outside of his foot, is a "poor pass"?

He's passed it straight to Fontaine who for some reason turns side on and makes no attempt to clear. If he stands still, straight on, it's right at his feet. 

He manouveres to clear with his left then doesn't even attempt it. 

It's a poor pass which Fontaine daein Fontaine hings has you making it out to be peak Ronaldinho. 

Edited by Dele

1 hour ago, Dele said:

He's passed it straight to Fontaine who for some reason turns side on and makes no attempt to clear. If he stands still, straight on, it's right at his feet. 

He manouveres to clear with his left then doesn't even attempt it. 

It's a poor pass which Fontaine daein Fontaine hings has you making it out to be peak Ronaldinho. 

I think you're being deceived by the quality and speed of the GIF tbh.

2 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

Swanson is 34 this year, has probably played 50 odd times in the last 4 years. 

sadly, he’s done. Might be looking at League One 

99 games in the last four seasons, including a season where he bagged 15 goals and 9 assists for us.

2 hours ago, Tap in 94 said:

Not for me, hope we stay clear of injury prone players from now on. He's being linked with a move to the fun in today's paper. Was a joy to watch when with us though

Yip.  Of the former United players who could conceivably sign for us I’m struggling to think of any I’d take back.

21 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

For the love of god, can we stop wanting to resign past it 30 year olds because of a few good season 7+ years ago?

Absolutely.

I reckon Narey and Hegarty are worth a look for our issues at the back though

14 hours ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Would u take Danny Swanson back for a season, getting released from st j???? 

Absolutely not. There's no way he'd be fit enough to make any sort of worthwhile contribution and it would just sully the memories. 

Without doubt my most disappointing afternoon as a United supporter. Usual, had a terrific day until kick off. Bus through was quality, boozer before hand was jumping then United put in a performance like that. To have a team with Robertson, Ciftci, Gauld, Armstrong etc and get turned over from a bunch of diddies like St Johnstone was a kick in the stones. To be fair, they farmer c***s deserved it and they cemented their place as Taysides second most successful team since the late 1970s

We have lost cup finals to worse teams than St Johnstone move along.

Depressingly I think I can put put an entirely different rival XI just from last few seasons

Curran

Johnson Nicholls 

Slater Gillespie Rabitsch

Mason Quinn van der Struijk Toshney

Zwick 

I can't even find a place for Briels and Szromnick