Dundee United 2019/2020

I'm not convinced Robson can cut it in the top flight. Never particularly impressed by him and see more potential to improve in Smith.

Siegrist has come on and should be a fine keeper for the premiership. Shankland and Appere will obviously be fine and I think Clark deserves a shot given the contribution he has made.

There are big question marks over the rest of the squad though. I would expect investment is needed for us to stay up.

Brian Graham is better than Nicky Clark?  F’kin mental.

Not seen much of Clark, but aren’t they completely different players?

For what it’s worth, there are certain players who you get a different view of if you see them every week. Brian Graham is one of those. There aren’t very many players who do what he does, and his goalscoring record at County was pretty decent. I liked him.

The gap between the top of the Championship and the bottom of the Premiership, over the course of a season, is enormous. Dundee United, if they made no changes to their current squad, based on what I’ve seen, would probably be battling County, St Mirren, Hamilton and whomever is down there for 10th.

I don’t really see anyone arguing otherwise.

Robson will get torn a new one if he plays left back in the Premiership though. Nowhere near solid enough.

9 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

I’d bite your arm off for 9th / 10th next season. 

This 100%.  

Two other teams really struggling at the bottom from early on would be an added bonus so we didn’t have to keep looking over our shoulder.  I don’t think Neilson will be a manager who does well under pressure and that will be reflected in team selection, formation and tactics.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t think Neilson will be a manager who does well under pressure and that will be reflected in team selection, formation and tactics.

My far bigger concern is Neilson's recruitment - as discussed at length earlier in the season in this thread, his recruitment thus far has been patchy at best...

2 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

My far bigger concern is Neilson's recruitment - as discussed at length earlier in the season in this thread, his recruitment thus far has been patchy at best...

I think only Shankland, Butcher and Smith have been definite successes.

Harkes, Reynolds and Connolly have done ok.

The rest have really not been great.

I would give him (and his coaching team) credit for improvement in players who were already at the club though eg Benji, Robson, Appere

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

I’m happy to through in recruitment, and bizarre subbies.

So that’s team selection, formation, tactics, substitutions and recruitment he’s crap at.

1 hour ago, Loemba90 said:

I think only Shankland, Butcher and Smith have been definite successes.

Harkes, Reynolds and Connolly have done ok.

The rest have really not been great.

I would give him (and his coaching team) credit for improvement in players who were already at the club though eg Benji, Robson, Appere

I'd argue that Benji will be shown up as a ropey keeper this season tbh. Hes gotten alot better but I still am not convinced.

Smith has been a success in that he isnt Murdoch and can run forward in a general direction. Hes still young but he and Robson will have a new one ripped more often than not and neither are particularly good at crossing. Especially Robson, who as you say, did improve but is still woefully bad at times.

Not sold on Harkes, when hes had the chance he goes missing far too often and reverts to sideways passes. 

Big Lois looks the part though. Raw and still somewhat inexperienced I'd really like to see him make a big impact this season.

Glass and Mochrie were badly underused and really should have been given more game time last season, especially Glass. I'd be expecting / hoping for them to go on loan this coming season to a Championship club if they arent going to be used frequently this season.

Connoly will struggle big time this season. Utter bull in a China shop centre half.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m happy to through in recruitment, and bizarre subbies.

So that’s team selection, formation, tactics, substitutions and recruitment he’s crap at.

I hear hes good at....wait...no, hang on, hes shite at that too.

Carry on.

28 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Brian Graham is better than Nicky Clark emoji38.png

You are 18 days late with that one

Is it up for debate?

One has spent the majority of their career playing, and scoring semi-regularly, in the top flight.

The other has spent the majority of their career in the second tier, and has managed just two double figure seasons at that level.

Is it up for debate?
One has spent the majority of their career playing, and scoring semi-regularly, in the top flight.
The other has spent the majority of their career in the second tier, and has managed just two double figure seasons at that level.

Actually Graham has spent much more of his career in Scotland outside the top flight than he has in it.

Despite both being strikers they are very different players. Having seen both a few times over the last couple of season I’d much rather have Nicky Clark in my team.

It speaks volumes that we went on a poor run and have struggled to create chances since Clark got injured. He was also being played deeper than usual hence lack of goals. Hes by no means tremendous but hes a capable player and better than Graham on versatility alone. Also a decent set piece taker.

Brian Graham is not the worst striker in the world, better than some we've had in recent years but hes a bog standard Championship to bottom end Premiership squad player at a push.

41 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Actually Graham has spent much more of his career in Scotland outside the top flight than he has in it.

Despite both being strikers they are very different players. Having seen both a few times over the last couple of season I’d much rather have Nicky Clark in my team.

37 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Aye, I'd much rather have Clark than Graham. That's not even debatable.

I suspect theres a reason one has a top flight career and one has not, and I suspect United fans will discover the reason next season.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I suspect theres a reason one has a top flight career and one has not, and I suspect United fans will discover the reason next season.

Because there's a weird demand for useless haddies in Scottish football? Scottish football teams love a hold up man with little ability.

Because there's a weird demand for useless haddies in Scottish football? Scottish football teams love a hold up man with little ability.

Here’s your reason.

Due to the shite punt it and run type football a lot of clubs employ, a big hold up striker is far more in demand than actual good footballers like Clark. Jordan White is absolutely shite but because he’s big and strong he’s going to win a move to Motherwell in the summer. He’s barely good enough for the Championship.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

It speaks volumes that we went on a poor run and have struggled to create chances since Clark got injured. He was also being played deeper than usual hence lack of goals. Hes by no means tremendous but hes a capable player and better than Graham on versatility alone. Also a decent set piece taker.

Brian Graham is not the worst striker in the world, better than some we've had in recent years but hes a bog standard Championship to bottom end Premiership squad player at a push.

On those occasions Neilson played Clark as a striker he actually scored goals.  Of course that was the cue to drop him further back again.

25 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

On those occasions Neilson played Clark as a striker he actually scored goals.  Of course that was the cue to drop him further back again.

Of course. You cant have more than one player on the pitch scoring regularly, Granny. Haven't you learned that yet!?!