Dundee United 2019/2020

8 minutes ago, Dele said:

Promotion is cut and dry for one club - but you still need a team to replace them and therein lay the problem. 

Two up none down is a possible solution.  
My preference is all remaining ties to be decided by the club captains playing stone, paper, scissors.  
This would need to be behind closed doors but could be televised.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Two up none down is a possible solution.  
My preference is all remaining ties to be decided by the club captains playing stone, paper, scissors.  
This would need to be behind closed doors but could be televised. 

Who would go up in second? 

Personally, I suggest every club takes on an e-sporter and the remaining games are played on FIFA. 

1 hour ago, Vinnyjag said:

It would be an absolute shambles and grossly unfair if you guys don’t get promoted if the season ends now. Speaking as a Thistle fan it might work in our favour we’ll wait and see, but with more than 3/4 of the season completed and Utd so far in front I can’t see how the SPFL could deny you promotion.

The same way a club 5-0 up with 2 mins to go would have to play again is a match was abandoned due to floodlight failure.

They can't promote United if the season isn't finished, it's that simple. Who do they relegate? It's easy to say Hearts but they are nowhere near certain to go down yet.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

The same way a club 5-0 up with 2 mins to go would have to play again is a match was abandoned due to floodlight failure.

Except that isn’t a fair or accurate analogy.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Because?

Because it’s a single game.

Let’s face it there is no “fair” or “obvious” way of dealing with this situation.  It will have a huge impact on clubs and players as well as fans.

Anyway I’m sure the Scottish footballing authorities will manage to find a solution that is worse than all the alternatives.

Still think by rock, paper scissors idea is the best of a bad bunch.

There’s no hope of the season getting finished and there’s no chance that promotion and relegation will hapoen

The season will just be cancelled

The United fans will just have to suck it up and go again next season

assuming they don’t go bust close season 😂

Edited by Jeremiah Cole

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Because it’s a single game.

Let’s face it there is no “fair” or “obvious” way of dealing with this situation.  It will have a huge impact on clubs and players as well as fans.

Anyway I’m sure the Scottish footballing authorities will manage to find a solution that is worse than all the alternatives.

Still think by rock, paper scissors idea is the best of a bad bunch.

The principle is the same. If it's not finished it's treated as if it never started.

I agree, there's nothing "fair" about any of this but they can't declare things finished in current position when clubs haven't even all played the same number of games. That's ludicrous.

18 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

No way they will make the league null and void. They will finish the season later and behind closed doors if necessary.

Games behind closed doors would be an advantage to the away side over the other teams in the league that have already played away at that particular ground in front of a crowd backing the home side. Null and void is the only outcome. 

No way they will make the league null and void. They will finish the season later and behind closed doors if necessary.

When is later though?

Players contracts will expire and loan players will go back to parent clubs. I can see this being used as an opportunity for a league reshuffle.

Perhaps the season could be recommenced when the authorities give the all clear. I think the big European trophies will be played to a finish at that point.

Next season's competitions, at all levels, could be streamlined to suit the shorter available time-span. I agree that trophies shouldn't be awarded when the league positions aren't clear cut, which they'd be unlikely to be until fixtures are completed.

1 hour ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Given that the projections suggest Coronavirus will peak in May / June when exactly will the games get played if players are contracting Coronavirus, just like the rest of the population?  Also, if the shutdown last for weeks / months  are teams just expected to return to playing competitive matches straight away once the shutdown is complete?  

I’m genuinely not trying to wind United fans up but this pandemic is very likely to get worse before there are any signs of improvement.  No way will this be over anytime soon I’m afraid.