Dundee United 2019/2020

Seems there are some in disagreement with my comment about this season compared to the last three, and that's fair enough.
Neilson has had far greater financial support than the management in the last three, and he hasn't taken advantage to the extent that a better manager would achieve.
His signings have mostly been failures and his tactics are easily countered by other managers. He also hasn't been hampered by the Stephen Thompson yoke. He hasn't built a solid base for next season, and it wouldn't be a shock to see him depart after the first few months of season 2020-21.
First season he came in you were fourth , you missed on going up by penalties.
Second season he won the league in december.

He will still be manager by Christmas this year

Given that promotion is 99% guaranteed I think it's natural people's thoughts will turn to next year.

I dont understand why recognising Neilsen was tasked with winning the league and will do so and we have had some great games to watch this year AND thinking he doesn't get the best out of the squad he has and his recruitment has been largely abysmal are two truths that can't coexist.

4 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

I get the feeling some united fans can’t wait for him to fail, strange bunch sometimes

There may be some, I know none. But that's just a feeling you have, same as for me this season stating it "has almost felt worse than the last three".

It's the expectation this season which has led to disappointment in many performances.

8 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

I get the feeling some united fans can’t wait for him to fail, strange bunch sometimes

I’d love for him to succeed.

I’d love for him to not be so negative.

I’d love for him to realise the failings with his team selection and tactics.

I’d love for a Pawlett to be the player both he himself and Neilson thinks he is.

Not sure if any of that helps.

3 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

First season he came in you were fourth , you missed on going up by penalties.
Second season he won the league in december.

He will still be manager by Christmas this year

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:
2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:
You missed out 'when'.

Try stick to facts rather than being a slavering mess.

Sticking to facts, you missed out 'when'.  While Neilson has not yet won the league, and never won it in December, and it remains to be seen whether your prediction becomes a fact on December 25th 2020.

12 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Perhaps United supporters have higher football expectations and standards than Dundee fans.

Nope, both sets of fans are moaning b*****ds. Considering the last 4 seasons you've had to sit through compared to this season though, it makes you wonder what the expectations actually are if comfortably winning the league isn't enough to keep a job safe in the fan's eyes.

6 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Nope, both sets of fans are moaning b*****ds. Considering the last 4 seasons you've had to sit through compared to this season though, it makes you wonder what the expectations actually are if comfortably winning the league isn't enough to keep a job safe in the fan's eyes.

I don't necessarily want him sacked. I want him to stop being a negative, stubborn twat. Play to win rather than not lose. I don't even mind the style - hoof ball, tiki taka, whatever, as long as there's some urgency and coherent game plan.

This is the big issue a lot of fans have with him. Hes happy to take a 1-1 at home to the bottom club in the league and claim it's a point closer. Hes not wrong, I'll grant him, but hes fucking pished if he thinks its entertaining the fans. 

19 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’d like us to win the league and play football that’s enjoyable to watch.  

I'd like us to be beating Barcelona home and away, again, but we are where we are...

18 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

If you find the idea of promotion depressing you need a reality check. 

The over-reaction by some sections of the DUFC support at points this season and last have been cringeworthy - we are sat at the top of the league, in a better position than we could reasonably have hoped for at the start of the season and in a way, way better position than we have been at the start of March in any of the previous Championship seasons... and yet lots of fans on here seem to want the manager sacked for not playing the formation that they think is best for the team. 

13 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I might cut Neilsen some more slack if he was honest with fans and didn't treat us like utter mugs.

Yes, just like all other football managers that are so honest and forthright in their post-match interviews...

12 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

...his tactics are easily countered by other managers.

Easily?  We have lost 5 games this season and are 17 points clear at the top. 

15 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I want him to stop being a negative, stubborn twat. 

I want him to get us promoted.

We have the best striker in the league and a squad that is probably better to any other yet we have taken only 7 points from our last 7 league games.  

There might be some Arabs on here who are content with that I don’t know any IRL who are.

I can understand both sides of this.  On one hand, i'd love my team to be winning at a canter as Utd are.  On the other hand, I'd also be concerned that the expected challenge next season for top 4, and a place in Europe perhaps,  is not looking so attainable now.  And,  if things continue as they are now until the end of the  season, that 3 million quid offer for Shankland isn't happening.  

Still, bunch of moaning barstewards right enough.  

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We have the best striker in the league and a squad that is probably better to any other yet we have taken only 7 points from our last 7 league games.  

There might be some Arabs on here who are content with that I don’t know any IRL who are.

No one is happy with our current run of form. Just because I don't think Neilson should be sacked for one bad run of form doesn't mean I'm happy (FFS, I called it terrible in my last post).

Also mate, don't pretend like you were happy when we went on that great run either. You've always found an excuse to moan about Neilson.

23 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

No one is happy with our current run of form. Just because I don't think Neilson should be sacked for one bad run of form doesn't mean I'm happy (FFS, I called it terrible in my last post).

Also mate, don't pretend like you were happy when we went on that great run either. You've always found an excuse to moan about Neilson.

I was delighted when we went on that great run and yes there were still Still aspects of Neilson’s management that I was unhappy with.

Neilson deserves credit for our inevitable promotion; I had real doubts about his ability to get us promoted but was wrong about that.

33 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I can understand both sides of this.  On one hand, i'd love my team to be winning at a canter as Utd are.  On the other hand, I'd also be concerned that the expected challenge next season for top 4, and a place in Europe perhaps,  is not looking so attainable now.  And,  if things continue as they are now until the end of the  season, that 3 million quid offer for Shankland isn't happening.  

Still, bunch of moaning barstewards right enough.  

I’m not sure if you’re kidding, but I don’t know any Arabs who expect us to be competing for a European spot next season.

Personally if we can finish about eight points of second bottom I would regard that as a highly successful return to the top flight.