Dundee United 2019/2020

On 06/03/2020 at 20:44, mishtergrolsch said:

I do think Clark has been good when hes played, even on the left. He's certainly no world beater and this is probably about his level. We've certainly had (and have) worse players.

We've had worse players than Clark!?  With groundbreaking analysis like that, you'll be snapped up by BBC Scotland in no time...

15 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Had any other team put any pressure on us, we would have folded like a cheap deckchair

Had we not won 18 of 28 league games, we would not be top and huge favourites for promotion to the Premiership... but we are.

14 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is it against the law to sack a manager after winning the league ?

Illegal?  No.  Illogical?  Yes.

12 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

Neilsons record

P56 W34 D11 L11 GD +41

113 points from 165

A lot of the football is ugly, and some of the decisions are baffling, but you cannot argue with the facts - Neilson is a huge step up from the past few seasons; and is well on track to satisfy his objective at the start of the season.  

12 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

This season has almost felt worse than the last three, where we had the excitement and expectation of, as a long shot, getting promoted via play-offs.

Seriously?

10 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

...in no universe whatsoever has this season been as bad as the last 3.

This.

38 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

We've had worse players than Clark!?  With groundbreaking analysis like that, you'll be snapped up by BBC Scotland in no time...

Had we not won 18 of 28 league games, we would not be top and huge favourites for promotion to the Premiership... but we are.

Illegal?  No.  Illogical?  Yes.

A lot of the football is ugly, and some of the decisions are baffling, but you cannot argue with the facts - Neilson is a huge step up from the past few seasons; and is well on track to satisfy his objective at the start of the season.  

Seriously?

This.

Joe, how many games have you watched this season? Have you enjoyed the majority performances this season? How many times have you left Tannadice thinking "this manager really knows his stuff"? Do you have confidence in this manager keeping us up next season with the core of this squad who are still under contract?

If you are, fair enough. 

Plus, if Derek Ferguonan get a gig then maybe I can reach that unreachable goal! 😉

12 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Have you enjoyed the majority performances this season?

Do you have confidence in this manager keeping us up next season with the core of this squad who are still under contract?

You're absolutely right that some of the performances (especially since Christmas) have been absolutely woeful, however I do think it is worth bearing in mind that Neilson was hired with one goal - to get us back into the Premiership.  And that he is very much still on track to do so.

His decisions have, at times, been crazy (i.e. signing Sporle but refusing to play him; signing Pawlett but refusing to drop him; bringing back Glass from loan then sitting him in the stands; letting Stanton go without any replacement etc.) but then again so would the decision of our board be crazy if they were to sack him - and who on earth would willingly replace him if he got sacked after fulfilling his main objective!?  

Joe, how many games have you watched this season? Have you enjoyed the majority performances this season? How many times have you left Tannadice thinking "this manager really knows his stuff"? Do you have confidence in this manager keeping us up next season with the core of this squad who are still under contract?
 If you are, fair enough. 
Plus, if Derek Ferguonan get a gig then maybe I can reach that unreachable goal! [emoji6]
I love these sort of posts

His job this season is too get United promoted. If we stick with facts he is 17 points clear of second place. ( could change to 11 points ).
If he were to sell Shankland and make a decent amount of money for him, I'd reckon that be another target he would of achieved.
We also know that from about 6th in the top flight and the top half of the championship is not overly different in quality.
Will this team do a job in the top league? Maybe not but I suppose he is the man to get you out this league.
For being 17 points clear ( facts again) and going on a slight decline really are a strange lot. If you were watching football because you enjoy it then we both know Scottish football in general dosnt offer that, you could easy go to local junior team for that.

14 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

This season has almost felt worse than the last three, where we had the excitement and expectation of, as a long shot, getting promoted via play-offs. In those scenarios, fans hardly thought of what the top league may have held for United.

Neilson being in charge makes the prospect of promotion depressing.

Ken the last couple of months have been pretty shite but mon now.

2 minutes ago, coppola said:

Ken the last couple of months have been pretty shite but mon now.

This.....

Yes, things have been turgid since  Christmas, (Thistle away aside), but to tar the whole season with this brush is a bit much; I’ve had some brilliant days at Tannadice this season.

6-2 (again) 6-0 against Morton, 4-0 against Ayr, 4-1 against Caley etc have all been joyous affairs, as well as the knowledge that we have been top since day 1 of the season, and now are pretty much uncatchable, given the other teams’ inability to put a run together.

Yes we have been pish recently, and I am very much in the camp of why Pawlett?... again?, and also am utterly bemused as to Stanton’s departure as feel he was a really useful member of the squad, however assume that Robbie has a better insight into this than me.

The last thing to remember is that sometimes it is not all just a question of our pishness; every team that comes to Tannadice is up for a scrap, and all have something to fight for (the bottom 3 for survival and the 6 above for 3 playoff spots), so they have a big part to play in the final outcome of games too.

I am as keen as the next Arab do just get this done and fucking dusted, and am as perplexed as anyone as to why we have stopped winning games, however, am very happy with the fact that we are in a far better position then we have been in the last 3 seasons, and I’ll take that all day long.

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I, for one, will look back at these halcyon days with a tear in the eye. This season surpasses the 2010 cup win and must match the famous European runs of the 80s.

Nope. Cant even be sarcastic. Its fucking shite and going to Tannadice this season has been just as bad (worse at times) as anything we've had since relegation. I've never taken to Neilson at any point and staggering like a drunk fud over the finish line wont make me fist pump the air like a shite manager getting St Mirren to penalties.

It really hasn't. Criticise the manager and players as much as you like, as on recent form they deserve it. But that sentence is absolute nonsense.

I’d like us to win the league and play football that’s enjoyable to watch.  
We did it earlier in the season then Pawlett became available again, Clark got injured and Neilson let Stanton and Smith go.

Since then it’s been shite and that’s down to Neilson’s team selection, formation and ‘tactics’.

He won’t last in the Premiership; I hope Ogren realises that before he drags us back down.

I’d like us to win the league and play football that’s enjoyable to watch.  
We did it earlier in the season then Pawlett became available again, Clark got injured and Neilson let Stanton and Smith go.
Since then it’s been shite and that’s down to Neilson’s team selection, formation and ‘tactics’.
He won’t last in the Premiership; I hope Ogren realises that before he drags us back down.
At least you have gave him a chance already in the top flight.

That's the spirit

16 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

This season has almost felt worse than the last three, where we had the excitement and expectation of, as a long shot, getting promoted via play-offs. In those scenarios, fans hardly thought of what the top league may have held for United.

oh shut the f**k up. There was nothing exciting about the play-offs, they were a exhausting strain on your emotions. Nothing more.

If you find the idea of promotion depressing you need a reality check. Neilson frustrates me immensely aswell but not even Dundee fans have been this fucking miserable as you and Granny Danger have been over one admittedly terrible run of form which will won't mean anything come the end of the season when we're promoted. 

4 hours ago, MacArab said:

The last thing to remember is that sometimes it is not all just a question of our pishness; every team that comes to Tannadice is up for a scrap, and all have something to fight for (the bottom 3 for survival and the 6 above for 3 playoff spots), so they have a big part to play in the final outcome of games too.

I can't believe folk have been watching the fitba we play and blame it on the opposition.

4 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

At least you have gave him a chance already in the top flight.

That's the spirit

You’d be better concentrating on your own manager.

Then again, maybe not.

3 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

oh shut the f**k up. There was nothing exciting about the play-offs, they were a exhausting strain on your emotions. Nothing more.

If you find the idea of promotion depressing you need a reality check. Neilson frustrates me immensely aswell but not even Dundee fans have been this fucking miserable as you and Granny Danger have been over one admittedly terrible run of form which will won't mean anything come the end of the season when we're promoted. 

I’d have no problem with the results that have led to this “terrible run of form” if they had been unavoidable but they’ve not been, instead they’ve been the result of shite management.  Neilson is pigheaded as f**k.

I will be delighted to be back in the Premiership.

Neilson being in charge makes the prospect of promotion depressing.

Cannot fucking stand united fans, bunch of greeting face c***s.

Seems there are some in disagreement with my comment about this season compared to the last three, and that's fair enough.

Neilson has had far greater financial support than the management in the last three, and he hasn't taken advantage to the extent that a better manager would achieve.

His signings have mostly been failures and his tactics are easily countered by other managers. He also hasn't been hampered by the Stephen Thompson yoke. He hasn't built a solid base for next season, and it wouldn't be a shock to see him depart after the first few months of season 2020-21.

4 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I can't believe folk have been watching the fitba we play and blame it on the opposition.

Did you not read the rest of my post or did you just choose the bit that suits your argument?

Straight out of Dele's playbook I'm afraid. 

Agreed it hasn't been good enough recently,  but some people need to just settle down a bit.

Let's try to get promoted first, then we can look to deal with next season's problems.... next season.