Dundee United 2019/2020

I said after two performances, that I was concerned about the signing of Powers - why were we wasting on our money on what was imho a lesser version of Butcher?

If we are to go up (which I'm fairly certain we will) then we are going to need 5 or 6 quality signings to go straight into the starting XI, and I gotta say I don't hold much confidence that Neilson will get it right.

If we ignore Shankland (because literally anyone would have signed him given the chance) then this season's signings were Smith (decent), King (godawful), Powers (why), Sporle (who), Brown (temp), and Bingham (meh).

35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m equally concerned that we brought in a striker outside of the transfer window due to Clark’s injury......and we’re playing him as a wide player.  Totally illogical.

Yep. Whilst Sporle sat on the bench. 

I'd be interested to know how many points we've dropped with Powers and Pawlett in the same starting eleven. Unfortunately, Neilson doesn't seem interested in the knowing.

Edit, as I roughly work out United have dropped 10 points out of 15 possible with the pair of them starting. And the winning goal and points won against ICT came right after both had been substituted.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian
Workings

30 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'd be interested to know how many points we've dropped with Powers and Pawlett in the same starting eleven. Unfortunately, Neilson doesn't seem interested in the knowing.

Edit, as I roughly work out United have dropped 10 points out of 15 possible with the pair of them starting. And the winning goal and points won against ICT came right after both had been substituted.

Powers is poor, Pawlett is an imposter.

Despite promotion being almost guaranteed there can be few Arabs who are confident in Neilson.

On 27/02/2020 at 12:33, Gibby82 said:

This season looks pretty similar to the 11/12 one. Ross County finished on 79, miles ahead of everyone else, with little between the rest of the teams. Dundee were second on 55, Falkirk behind them with 52.

I envy your confidence!

On 01/03/2020 at 00:27, Steven W said:

Dillon Powers - sigh.......

If Powers is starting games ahead of Declan Glass, I hate to think how badly he must be playing in training...

18 hours ago, ArabFC said:

If we are to go up (which I'm fairly certain we will) then we are going to need 5 or 6 quality signings to go straight into the starting XI, and I gotta say I don't hold much confidence that Neilson will get it right.

If we ignore Shankland (because literally anyone would have signed him given the chance) then this season's signings were Smith (decent), King (godawful), Powers (why), Sporle (who), Brown (temp), and Bingham (meh).

5 or 6 might be an understatement...

Neilson's transfer dealings leave me with very, very little confidence.  According to the Arabarchive (take a deep breath before clicking...) he has signed 17 players (although that includes debutants from the youth team).  I would argue that the only successful ones are: Ian Harkes, Mark Reynolds, Mark Connolly, Liam Smith and Lawrence Shankland.  That is a dire percentage. 

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Despite promotion being almost guaranteed there can be few Arabs who are confident in Neilson.

Neilson's record on the park is very strong, even if this last few weeks have been dysmal - we are top of the league with a +30 goal difference and 18-point gap on 2nd place, and that is exactly what his aim was at the start of the season. 

I don't think you can ask for much more than that, even if some performances have been shocking.

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

Neilson's record on the park is very strong, even if this last few weeks have been dysmal - we are top of the league with a +30 goal difference and 18-point gap on 2nd place, and that is exactly what his aim was at the start of the season. 

I don't think you can ask for much more than that, even if some performances have been shocking.

I’m trying to work out if you agree with me or if you do have confidence in Neilson.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m trying to work out if you agree with me or if you do have confidence in Neilson.

A bit of both - I have confidence that he can get us promoted out of this division (which, lest we forget, was his one and only goal for this season); but I have very little confidence in his ability to find good players in the transfer market...

A bit of both - I have confidence that he can get us promoted out of this division (which, lest we forget, was his one and only goal for this season); but I have very little confidence in his ability to find good players in the transfer market...
Surely this is what every Dundee United fan must be agreeing with.

Next year clearly a huge test but first job is to get out the league and he is doing a good / flukey job.

10 hours ago, arab_joe said:

5 or 6 might be an understatement...

Neilson's transfer dealings leave me with very, very little confidence. 

We have to go into next season, clearly identifying 5 or 6 players that will improve us. Quality (Shankland) not quantity (nearly everyone else) is key.

For one thing, we'd have to pay off a load of players if we sign too many, reducing the budget we have, resulting in us signing more shite that we then have to pay off a year later.

Sound familiar?

According to that ArabArchive, under McKinnon, Laszlo and Neilson, we have signed 72 players since June 2016.

Now if that sounds crazy, consider that from Laszlo's 26 signings only Clark, Wardrop, Siegrist and Watson are still here. From McKinnon's 29 signings only McMullan and Mehmet remain.

Can you remember any players that went on to bigger and better things?

38 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

We have to go into next season, clearly identifying 5 or 6 players that will improve us. Quality (Shankland) not quantity (nearly everyone else) is key.

For one thing, we'd have to pay off a load of players if we sign too many, reducing the budget we have, resulting in us signing more shite that we then have to pay off a year later.

Sound familiar?

According to that ArabArchive, under McKinnon, Laszlo and Neilson, we have signed 72 players since June 2016.

Now if that sounds crazy, consider that from Laszlo's 26 signings only Clark, Wardrop, Siegrist and Watson are still here. From McKinnon's 29 signings only McMullan and Mehmet remain.

Can you remember any players that went on to bigger and better things?

Although originally signed by McKinnon, Mehmet is actually a Neilson signing - he was released, signed for QOTS on a short term deal, then re-signed.