Dundee United 2019/2020

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

I think Powers looks like he has the technique to be that player, but judging based on 180 minutes is difficult...

No doubt it's early to judge, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

By the by, does anyone know what Appere's natural position is meant to be? Every fibre of my being screams out that he's a forward, but he's consistently played out wide (left).

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Stanton leaving will weaken the squad.  Harkes showed again today that he’s a very hot and cold player and can disappear in games.

It would, slightly, but if he's been told his contract isn't getting renewed (and most wouldn't argue with that with a view to next season) it's only fair to let him go if he has an opportunity.

Also opens the door for Glass, if he wasn't already ahead in the pecking order.

Edited by ArabFC

Posted this in match thread

Powers and butcher would be fine together if they had someone like glass in front of them. They break up play relatively fine.

Pawlett abd mcmullan were frustrating. There was a couple of times in the first half where pawlett turned and actually ran at the hibs defence and caused problems but just didnt do enough. Mcmullan was rotten.

Shanklands hold up and general play is outstanding and his finish was lovely. Appere was superb when he came on.

Scott allan is a rolls royce of a player. Martin boyle also played well. Kamberi would frustrate me as a hibs fan. He genuinely looked like he could beat the whole united team on his own if he could be arsed.

Hibs defence is slow and shite.

United hospitality has improved since last time

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

It would, slightly, but if he's been told his contract isn't getting renewed (and most wouldn't argue with that with a view to next season) it's only fair to let him go if he has an opportunity.

Also opens the door for Glass, if he wasn't already ahead in the pecking order.

I see Glass as a player who would operate as part of the front four whereas Stanton plays a bit further back.  I agree that if he wants away it’s best to let him go.

I agree with most of what has been said already, I think we have a great chance in the replay if we start with the team that finished today.

With the draw, I've been wanting us to get a non-league side away for ages, we finally get one and the of course the ground we'd go to is bloody Alloa 😂.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I thought McMullan improved as the game went on. He was nervous and very sloppy first half but by the end I thought he looked more like himself, running at the full back and winning a couple of corners. He's still a young guy and one who hasn't played at the top level in Scotland so hopefully today will have been a good learning experience for him and one that will show him the level he needs to aim for in the future.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I thought McMullan improved as the game went on. He was nervous and very sloppy first half but by the end I thought he looked more like himself, running at the full back and winning a couple of corners. He's still a young guy and one who hasn't played at the top level in Scotland so hopefully today will have been a good learning experience for him and one that will show him the level he needs to aim for in the future.

He got a lot better towards the end of the second half when he was operating as a proper winger running at the fullbacks and not just hovering around the middle of the park.
He seemed to be attempting to play as a number 10 in the first half with Harkes, butcher and powers all a lot further back, which meant we didn’t really have a wide player on the right- pretty frustrating given Hibs set up was relatively narrow.
Makes me think that if playing a proper 4-5-1 we need to play glass in front of a combination of 2 of Harkes, Butcher and Powers as he is our most direct and creative central midfielder.

I was fairly pleased with the performance yesterday. It wasn't our usual set-up but we coped fairly well with a decent Premiership team. I think if we'd been a bit more aggressive we might have won it but I can understand the desire to be solid in the first instance. Not convinced that we pose enough threat down the flanks to be able to afford three relatively deep lying midfielders and in the longer term I would hope that it would be 2 from 3 of Butcher, Powers and Harkes in most games. 

If we could somehow genetically engineer a Pawlett/McMullan hybrid for the replay that would be ideal - so long as it comprises McMullan's work rate and pace with Pawlett's delivery and not the other way round.

I think we have a chance in the replay but we have to go for broke. Hibs were slick and largely the better team but they left plenty of space for our attacking players, unfortunately we just weren't at it to capitalise.

We could go 4-4-2 with Appere in up top with Shankland. Play Mcmullan wide right and Sporle wide left on the assumption Powers and Butcher start again in the middle. Harkes, nice assist for the goal aside, was pretty anonymous.

Neilson made a c**t of the tactics yesterday. A narrow three in midfield never worked and they exploited it. When we matched them up, we got a good foothold in the game. As an aside, Mcmullan was fuckin horrendous, Pawlett is an imposter and Harkes was like Peter Brady

Butcher Harkes.

McMullan and Sporle wide.

Shankland and Appere up top.

Glass as an impact subbie.

Harkes and McMullan would need to offer more than they did yesterday.

It’s not going to happen but I can always hope...

19 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I’d like to see Pawlett play in the ‘Clark’ role. He’s good on the ball. Just don’t think he’s all that suited to playing out wide anymore.

If you mean behind Shankland in a 4-2-3-1 I’d have Glass ahead of Pawlett.