Dundee United 2019/2020

How is Southern responsible for the team on the park and where we are? I’m not saying he shouldn’t have any blame but was he not Chief Operating Officer within the non-footballing side of things? Stadium management, personnel, commercial etc would have been more within his remit rather than anything directly related to squad matters or playing matters.

Edit - What I am maybe saying is that Southern seems to be tagged as guilty by association due to his links with Thompson. A club the size of United needs someone to do the role he was doing but maybe Mal Brannigan is now going to oversee all of that (which would be quite a large remit). I'm not bothered he has gone but he has built up a hugely negative reputation despite a lot of people not maybe digging below the surface of what he was actually guilty of. Even just from a PR point of view it is good that he has gone, given the baggage he carried.

Edited by stumigoo

13 minutes ago, NEFarab said:

Picked up an astronomical wage, did f**k all (or certainly nothing good) and we have been rank rotten basically since he was appointed. 

Good fucking riddance.

Bit harsh. I'm sure there are lots of dull, behind the scenes jobs which need to be done at a football club which need an administrator/manager to oversee. Doubtful that he had much impact on the performance of the team - which would be down to the manager/coaching staff (and now the Sporting Director) - or the general direction of the club - which is down to the owners.

11 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

How is Southern responsible for the team on the park and where we are? I’m not saying he shouldn’t have any blame but was he not Chief Operating Officer within the non-footballing side of things? Stadium management, personnel, commercial etc would have been more within his remit rather than anything directly related to squad matters or playing matters.

Edit - What I am maybe saying is that Southern seems to be tagged as guilty by association due to his links with Thompson. A club the size of United needs someone to do the role he was doing but maybe Mal Brannigan is now going to oversee all of that (which would be quite a large remit). I'm not bothered he has gone but he has built up a hugely negative reputation despite a lot of people not maybe digging below the surface of what he was actually guilty of. Even just from a PR point of view it is good that he has gone, given the baggage he carried.

As you say, guilty by association. Fair or no I'm pretty happy to see the back of anyone involved in the running of our club these past half dozen years.

3 hours ago, coppola said:

As you say, guilty by association. Fair or no I'm pretty happy to see the back of anyone involved in the running of our club these past half dozen years.

Presumably his role's been pretty much redundant since Asghar and Brannigan arrived. Wouldn't surprise me if he's been on garden leave the last six months ( although that's pure speculation on my part).

Even if Southern had no involvement with on field issues, he’s clearly been no use off field.

The stadium has been in need of repair and improvement and he’s done f**k all, communication from the club has been woeful, ticketing has been a total mess and literally nothing has been positive till Mark Ogren took over.

Southern can get to f**k and take his massive pay packet with him. c**t.

1 minute ago, NEFarab said:

Even if Southern had no involvement with on field issues, he’s clearly been no use off field.

The stadium has been in need of repair and improvement and he’s done f**k all, communication from the club has been woeful, ticketing has been a total mess and literally nothing has been positive till Mark Ogren took over.

Southern can get to f**k and take his massive pay packet with him. c**t.

Well you've clearly made up your mind.

3 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Not really: Dorward, Fyffe and Stewart as examples still hang around the Directors Box.

As directors presumably.

Is everyone associated with United pre Ogren meant to just f**k off now? Not sure how wise that would be.

3 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Well you've clearly made up your mind.

Yes I have. He has been directly involved in our worst period in at least half a century (possibly ever) and the timeline shows his arrival coincides perfectly with our decline.

I’ve been an advocate of his departure for well over 2 years and finally he’s gone. Bye bye p***k. 

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

As directors presumably.

Is everyone associated with United pre Ogren meant to just f**k off now? Not sure how wise that would be.

I’d say so, catastrophic failures all over the board, why we’d want to implement anything they suggest is beyond me.

Just now, NEFarab said:

Yes I have. He has been directly involved in our worst period in at least half a century (possibly ever) and the timeline shows his arrival coincides perfectly with our decline.

I’ve been an advocate of his departure for well over 2 years and finally he’s gone. Bye bye p***k. 

Fair enough. I don't know enough about the man or his competence to comment. Seems to me that there are others who are more likely culprits though.