Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Must also mention the massive improvement of players under neilson, robson, appere, seigrist, Mcmullan

People just can’t wait to have a dig at neilson, find it very strange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To an extent, I was posting to see the views of other United fans, however I acknowledge the defence has been tighter with Reynolds and Connolly in terms of goals conceded. However, I'd argue that Watson is more reliable at this level as a central defender than both, who are prone to daft errors. As an example, Reynolds on Saturday had a moment where he decided to try to play out of defence with the ball at his feet, leading to Thistle's goal.

And the lack of goals against might be down to the quality of opposition. I missed out Troy Brown from my list, another poor Neilson signing: Connolly and Reynolds are more dependable than him.

Pawlett is certainly a good footballer, but my point was he isn't consistently reliable, and it's surely accepted that we cannot rely on him as things stand. He'll have to prove his fitness and worth. Sporle is definitely a prospect, and I'd lean towards him proving a success in future, but he too hasn't yet shown consistency.

Possibly where I have doubts about Neislon's signing record is where he has gone for players he should know very well (Adam King, Osman Sow, Aidan Nesbitt, Peter Pawlett), yet they have not been great successes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Must also mention the massive improvement of players under neilson, robson, appere, seigrist, Mcmullan

People just can’t wait to have a dig at neilson, find it very strange

The original point I was making covered the argument that Neilson had made more good signings than bad. I disagree.

 

I will readily concede he's a better manager than McKinnon or Laszlo and several before them. To add to your list, Clark has shown he has more about him under Neilson as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

To an extent, I was posting to see the views of other United fans, however I acknowledge the defence has been tighter with Reynolds and Connolly in terms of goals conceded. However, I'd argue that Watson is more reliable at this level as a central defender than both, who are prone to daft errors. As an example, Reynolds on Saturday had a moment where he decided to try to play out of defence with the ball at his feet, leading to Thistle's goal.

And the lack of goals against might be down to the quality of opposition. I missed out Troy Brown from my list, another poor Neilson signing: Connolly and Reynolds are more dependable than him.

Pawlett is certainly a good footballer, but my point was he isn't consistently reliable, and it's surely accepted that we cannot rely on him as things stand. He'll have to prove his fitness and worth. Sporle is definitely a prospect, and I'd lean towards him proving a success in future, but he too hasn't yet shown consistency.

Possibly where I have doubts about Neislon's signing record is where he has gone for players he should know very well (Adam King, Osman Sow, Aidan Nesbitt, Peter Pawlett), yet they have not been great successes.

I suppose there is a fine line between "bad signing" and "didn't work out".

I think it's harsh to call him out on "players he should know very well". We were all creaming ourselves when Sow signed, especially given his record in Scotland, and we all knew Pawlett had real potential if he was fit. They haven't delivered for a number of reasons, but I don't think it's because Neilson showed too much faith in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Must also mention the massive improvement of players under neilson, robson, appere, seigrist, Mcmullan

People just can’t wait to have a dig at neilson, find it very strange

If you've read this thread for the past few months, you will know that I am a huge defender of Neilson (even when others were calling for his head post-QOTS...) - I was simply pointing out that, especially in the more attacking areas, his signings have been mixed.

There is absolutely no doubt that he has a good eye for a defender and, to an even greater degree, has massively improved some of our players from last term - Robson, Watson and Siegrist look like different players from their pre-Neilson spells.  As does Callum Butcher, relative to his previous spell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Not convinced by that he has GD.

Only Butcher, Harkes, Shankland and Liam Smith have, to me, been consistently reliable. 

Freeman and Powers may prove good signings, but on my doubtful list are Connolly, Nesbitt, Pawlett, Reynolds, (Seaman), Cammy Smith, Sow, A. King and Sporle.

I've maybe missed some players out too.

I'd disagree with you in that list. Reynolds and Connelly both improved the defence.

Pawlett is a good player and has shown this. It was unfortunate that we didn't rest him last season when injured, but I suspect he will be a big player in the run in.

King was signed in a 3 year deal. He is in as back up and one to build up as a player to get him to where he was expected to be by this stage.

Cammy Smith, must be something behind the scenes, Sow has not worked, through injury & its been alluded to off field issues. He won't be here next season unless he does something special between now and May, can't see it though.

Nesbit, keep seeing comments that he was a pointless signing he wasn't. Turned 2 games for us coming off the bench. But for me the big thing about his signing was the impact on McMullan. Nesbitt's signing was a big kick up the arse for McMullan, he had competition for his place and you can track a big improvement in his performances from Nesbitt coming in. For this Nesbitt was a successful signing, not so much on the pitch, but squad wise.

Sporle, for me looks the most technically gifted player we have. Lad has struggled with the language and getting used to being in a completely different environment. As an attacking left sided player I think we'll see the best of him and from next season, we have been a bit "gentle" in bringing him on. Definitely a player there, just not at left back.

Edited by Tannadeechee
Forgot Sporle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dundeeunited83 said:


Don’t understand how Reynolds and connolly are on doubtful list, albeit Connolly has been out for a lot of season but as a whole the defence have conceded 16 goals all season in league! I imagine there on your list for maybe there distribution cause it certainly can’t be there defensive ability

Pawlett if fit is one of best in league no doubts about it, you seen that for 4th goal on sat, when hes on his game and fully fit, hes a massive asset

The sow signing, everyone was excited about that signing! It just hasn’t happened for the boy, however he’s got 5 months to put that right

Tbh, the Sow signing was the one that excited me the least of our deadline signing flurry last year. I hadn't seen much of him when he'd thrived at Hearts previously and I knew his injury record since had been pretty poor. It's hard to get too worked up or bemused by how disappointing a signing he's been when my expectations of him were pretty low to begin with.

If you'd asked me a few games into the season then I would have said the Neilson signing I was most disappointed by would have been Reynolds, but in hindsight that was probably a little harsh. He's still particularly guilty of resorting to aimlessly punting the ball up field even under minimal pressure, but our defensive record on the whole since he came in has definitely improved.

If someone had told me following the East Fife cup match that we'd go on to have a 12 match unbeaten run, winning 11 of them, with mostly Reynolds and Watson at centre-half then I would have laughed my head off, whilst carefully backing away from the obvious lunatic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 months ago some united fans wanted to fire neilson, now you are above 20 points to the second... I said you that we can change him for you wanted from hearts....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, McGarci said:

3 months ago some united fans wanted to fire neilson, now you are above 20 points to the second... I said you that we can change him for you wanted from hearts....

Is that what you said? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Tbh, the Sow signing was the one that excited me the least of our deadline signing flurry last year. I hadn't seen much of him when he'd thrived at Hearts previously and I knew his injury record since had been pretty poor. It's hard to get too worked up or bemused by how disappointing a signing he's been when my expectations of him were pretty low to begin with.

If you'd asked me a few games into the season then I would have said the Neilson signing I was most disappointed by would have been Reynolds, but in hindsight that was probably a little harsh. He's still particularly guilty of resorting to aimlessly punting the ball up field even under minimal pressure, but our defensive record on the whole since he came in has definitely improved.

If someone had told me following the East Fife cup match that we'd go on to have a 12 match unbeaten run, winning 11 of them, with mostly Reynolds and Watson at centre-half then I would have laughed my head off, whilst carefully backing away from the obvious lunatic.

Sow made his reputation in the Scottish Championship: he didn't score many in his 6 months in the Premiership, and did very little after leaving Hearts of note.

 

I think both Reynolds and Connolly have made a positive impression off the pitch, but have been disappointed with quite a few of their on field performances. The record this season though maybe indicates they are better than I rate them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, with Dundee & United both reportedly interested in Alan Forrest, we will soon know where he thinks his level is..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

So, with Dundee & United both reportedly interested in Alan Forrest, we will soon know where he thinks his level is..

I mean you say that, but I don't think I've seen a single proper source say Utd are linked with Forrest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

So, with Dundee & United both reportedly interested in Alan Forrest, we will soon know where he thinks his level is..

 

18 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I mean you say that, but I don't think I've seen a single proper source say Utd are linked with Forrest.

Ross makes a good point. If Forrest goes to Dundee it'll be because United didn't want him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I mean you say that, but I don't think I've seen a single proper source say Utd are linked with Forrest.


I’m purely going by the ‘forum talk’ done deal etc...

You are right though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know who the trialist on the bench in the reserves game is?

Wardrop and Freeman also playing- wonder what position Freeman is in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cammy Smith starting for the reserves suggests he maybe isn't leaving imminently? Wonder if Neilson has decided to hang on to him with Clark getting injured. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coppola said:

Cammy Smith starting for the reserves suggests he maybe isn't leaving imminently? Wonder if Neilson has decided to hang on to him with Clark getting injured. 

Not sure I would read anything into that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...