Dundee United 2019/2020

We have got to be one of the worst teams in the league. Every week i hear or read about all these teams and what they couldve/shouldve/wouldve done things to us but we are lucky and also shite. Its only a matter of time til someone reduces the chasm at the top to single figures given our recent results

1 minute ago, Twinkle said:

We have got to be one of the worst teams in the league. Every week i hear or read about all these teams and what they couldve/shouldve/wouldve done things to us but we are lucky and also shite. Its only a matter of time til someone reduces the chasm at the top to single figures given our recent results

Nobody is suggesting United are one of the worst teams in the league. Plenty are suggesting they are the best team in a league of low quality.  It's an understandable view. 

16 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Nobody is suggesting United are one of the worst teams in the league. Plenty are suggesting they are the best team in a league of low quality.  It's an understandable view. 

Low quality compared to what?

2 minutes ago, coppola said:

Low quality compared to what?

Low quality compared to relatively recent seasons when this level had the likes of Rangers, Hibs, Hearts and a strong Falkirk in the division. 

i could of course be way off the mark but the last couple of seasons in this league IMHO have been low on quality. You may of course choose to disagree.

8 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Low quality compared to relatively recent seasons when this level had the likes of Rangers, Hibs, Hearts and a strong Falkirk in the division. 

i could of course be way off the mark but the last couple of seasons in this league IMHO have been low on quality. You may of course choose to disagree.

I don't doubt the years Hearts, Hibs etc were in the division it was stronger than it is now but those few years are the surely the exception rather than the rule? To have 3 of the biggest clubs in the country in the second tier together was a bit of an aberration. I don't think the league is any better or worse this season than it has been while we've been down and I suspect the quality in the years before 14/15 would have been similar to now.

Edited by coppola

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You don’t need to compare it to anything.

Watching the games you can tell it’s not a very good standard of football on offer. It’s not unfair to say that.

Nah mate, you can't just call something "low quality" in isolation. The term clearly implies some kind of scale on which we're measuring quality. Obviously in this case it's entirely subjective but if you want to describe the league as low quality then it's legitimate to ask what it's being compared to.

Well played.
Flukey teams. :-)

Change the record

Do you think youse will send Glass back on loan to Cove? He’s far too good for L2 but as he played for you yesterday I assume that means he can’t play for anyone else this season (can only play for 2 teams a season?) so you can’t loan him out to a L1 team.

12 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

Do you think youse will send Glass back on loan to Cove? He’s far too good for L2 but as he played for you yesterday I assume that means he can’t play for anyone else this season (can only play for 2 teams a season?) so you can’t loan him out to a L1 team.

Doubt it tbh. His performances with Cove and yesterday will likely means he gets a few more first team chances now. 

Doubt it tbh. His performances with Cove and yesterday will likely means he gets a few more first team chances now. 

Cheers, that seems to make sense to me. You’ve basically got the league wrapped up and the lad clearly has a shot at making it at United so seems like a good time to give him some first team minutes without *too* much pressure. Can confirm that the rest of League 2 is buzzing that Glass is away!

On 31/12/2019 at 13:53, Pull My Strings said:

I'm not convinced that they were all part time in fact but in any event that rather misses the point. None of them were playing playing part time at the age of 28 or even close to it. This guy might well be a very decent championship level player but he's never got even close to playing in the top flight and indeed has spent most of his career bobbing around the third and fourth tiers. It's a bit of a stretch to think that he'll be able to make the step up at this stage.

Of course it is a stretch for any part-time footballer to make the step up to full-time... but my point was that just because a player (and I was not referring to Thomas O'Brien specifically, as I have no idea how good a player he is) is in the lower leagues and/or playing part-time does not mean that that player should be automatically discounted.

The aforementioned list of United signings is testament to the fact that good players do slip through the net.

On 31/12/2019 at 21:54, Dundee Hibernian said:

Kieran Freeman training at the club might provide a salutary lesson to young players who think their development career would be better served in England.

Hopefully he has a word with Scott Banks.

On 04/01/2020 at 21:17, Loemba90 said:

Stanton, McMullan and Pawlett all expected to be available for Thistle game, plus a new signing expected by then.

Having Pawlett back is like a new signing - although he gets slated on here for his poor fitness record, when he does actually play for us he is excellent.

Having Pawlett back is like a new signing - although he gets slated on here for his poor fitness record, when he does actually play for us he is excellent.

Any particular links to these matches would be great. When he has played for us, hes been either bang average or anonymous which is a shame as i had high hopes for him

1 minute ago, Twinkle said:

Any particular links to these matches would be great. When he has played for us, hes been either bang average or anonymous which is a shame as i had high hopes for him

Give him his due, he was excellent in the 6-0 against Morton at Tannadice and pretty good in the 6-2 derby too. But otherwise you're right. He's been generally underwhelming since he's joined the club.

1 hour ago, Twinkle said:

Regardless of the results our best performances this season has been when we’ve played a genuine two up top.

When Pawlett is available Neilson invariably ditches that formation.

We shouldn’t be setting up the team to suit the limited contribution of a single player.

Remember the opening 45 minutes against Morton after we made all of the January signings last year? It was the most impressive half of football in a long time and I thought that Pawlett (and others) were all going to be amazing for us.

I have seen Pawlett look very good in short bursts and he often has a moment or two in each game that makes you realise he has ability, but for most of the time he has been bit of a passenger and unfortunately unfit/injured.