Dundee United 2019/2020

48 minutes ago, OzzyArab92 said:

Spot on. If Neilson is bringing on Sporle ahead of Smith when we needed a goal, it tells you Smith has no chance of getting a game.

I would be very surprised if Cammy Smith was still at United at the end of January. 

2 hours ago, coppola said:

I think, at times, we rely too much on McMullan for service to the strikers. Means if he's having a quieter game we can end up hoofing useless long balls up to Shankland and creating very little. Hopefully we get a left winger in in January to freshen things up a bit. 

Would it have made any difference to have another winger when our game plan is to punt it in the vague direction of Shankland? McMullan hardly got the ball.

Neither of our centre-backs are confident on the ball. Neither of our midfielders really seem to want the ball.

I very much doubt we're goona find the answers to these problems in January.

We're gonna get promoted with this team. Little point in replacing Cammy Smith with another average attacking midfielder or replacing Adam King with another guy to play second fiddle to Butcher et al.

29 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Would it have made any difference to have another winger when our game plan is to punt it in the vague direction of Shankland? McMullan hardly got the ball.

Neither of our centre-backs are confident on the ball. Neither of our midfielders really seem to want the ball.

We're gonna get promoted with this team. Little point in replacing Cammy Smith with another average attacking midfielder or replacing Adam King with another guy to play second fiddle to Butcher et al.

Right enough, let's not bother trying to improve the team during the transfer window.

23 minutes ago, coppola said:

Right enough, let's not bother trying to improve the team during the transfer window.

"Little point in replacing Cammy Smith with another average attacking midfielder or replacing Adam King with another guy to play second fiddle to Butcher et al."

Not sure whats difficult to understand about that.

If Neilson can identify a player or two that he is confident will be first choice picks for the forseeable future, that's great, but maybe given our position we should be careful with the money we don't have.

15 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

"Little point in replacing Cammy Smith with another average attacking midfielder or replacing Adam King with another guy to play second fiddle to Butcher et al."

Not sure whats difficult to understand about that.

If Neilson can identify a player or two that he is confident will be first choice picks for the forseeable future, that's great, but maybe given our position we should be careful with the money we don't have.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of the clubs financial situation. All I said was that I'd like us to freshen up the team with a left winger in January, clearly when I say that I mean someone who is better than what we have otherwise what would be the point?

If we had played to our strengths last night I don’t think we would be having a discussion to day about needing to freshen the team.  When’s the last game we played anyone as a lone striker and thought after the game “that was a good performance”?

28 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Inverness and Ayr getting beat as it stands. Can still end up stretching our lead at the top. Everything just seems to be falling our way this season.

Even after our 1-1 pumping yesterday, we still manage to extend our lead at the top. 

Happy Days.

This could definitely be our season lads....

5 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Adam King is going nowhere when he still has two and a half years on his contract.

We are 14 clear with the current squad so I don't think we need to strengthen for this league. Any new signings need to be for the top flight and it's rare to find that quality in the January window so I am happy to wait until the summer but I would like to see any signings in that window signed early so that they are bedded in by the seasons start.

1 minute ago, Arab in malaga said:

We are 14 clear with the current squad so I don't think we need to strengthen for this league. Any new signings need to be for the top flight and it's rare to find that quality in the January window so I am happy to wait until the summer but I would like to see any signings in that window signed early so that they are bedded in by the seasons start.

Yup.

If we sign someone like Stephen McGinn, I will weep!

Loan signings are fine if they think there may be a long term signing offered at the end of the loan otherwise they may come in disheartened that they cannot get a game at their parent club and may not have much enthusiasm or commitment for the game let alone the club they are loaned out to. If we have a 15 point or more gap at the start of the last quarter I would like to see some youngsters given the chance to show if they can make the squad for the higher level. If they can great if not it might be time to release them and look elsewhere for future talent.

Granny actually has a very good point. If you brought in somebody like Mikey Johnston for example and he scores for fun, rips it up and takes a winners medal on at the end of it, once you're promoted and ask for him back on loan there's more chance he will come back (or tell the likes of Morgan to come) than not. 

That's exactly the type of deals you should be aiming for in January.