Dundee United 2019/2020

8 hours ago, ArabFC said:

If we're heading up to the Premiership, we shouldn't be looking to sign 'back up' players.

Sadly we're compelled to finish the current season before getting promoted. You might think that's unfair but it's tradition and I can't see the league making an exception just because we're miles clear at Christmas.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Sadly we're compelled to finish the current season before getting promoted. You might think that's unfair but it's tradition and I can't see the league making an exception just because we're miles clear at Christmas.

Tbf we'd be aswell swapping you for Hearts just now, save everyone wasting a further 5 months.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf we'd be aswell swapping you for Hearts just now, save everyone wasting a further 5 months.

Assuming United do go up, I'll not be happy if Hearts go down. I want as many easily accessible away games next season as possible.

Edited by Sarto Mutiny

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

And do we need to waste money on a player that can't get a game for St Mirren to provide back up instead of the other back up player we signed (Adam King) on a 3 year contract just a few months ago? Is that really going to make the difference this season?

The amount of shite we've signed over the last few years , and ergo the money we've wasted on players that have ended up just sitting around picking up a wage until we can punt them is ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

And do we need to waste money on a player that can't get a game for St Mirren to provide back up instead of the other back up player we signed (Adam King) on a 3 year contract just a few months ago? Is that really going to make the difference this season?

The amount of shite we've signed over the last few years , and ergo the money we've wasted on players that have ended up just sitting around picking up a wage until we can punt them is ridiculous.

Exactly my worry about signing McGinn. Is he any better than King, do we have a youth player in that position (genuinely don't know we seem to be producing decent attacking options in midfield but what about more defensive minded players?). 

I’m really unsure about what mid season signings we need.  In terms of squad balance/quality I genuinely do not think we need any which is a great place to be.

In terms of cover for potential injuries it’s really pot luck as we have no idea what might happen in the second half of the season.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m really unsure about what mid season signings we need.  In terms of squad balance/quality I genuinely do not think we need any which is a great place to be.

In terms of cover for potential injuries it’s really pot luck as we have no idea what might happen in the second half of the season.

I don't think we NEED any mid-season signings.

You could argue that argue that McMullan is our only real winger, so a signing (preferably) on the left would give another option. But that would surely mean Cammy Smith being punted given his already severe lack of game time.

A centre-back that could really pass the ball would be nice, but not really needed in this division given our 'goals conceded' tally.

I don't think Butcher and Harkes/Stanton will be enough in midfield in the Premier, but again, not really needed now.

So, imho, if we're signing anyone it should be with an eye on next season, ie not anymore squad players.

We may end up winning this league by 20+ points, but thank god I play football on a Saturday, because my soul couldn’t cope with watching Neilson’s brand of puntball every week.

Does he tell the players that the ball is allergic to grass?

27 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

We may end up winning this league by 20+ points, but thank god I play football on a Saturday, because my soul couldn’t cope with watching Neilson’s brand of puntball every week.

The style of football we played tonight is not typical of that which we’ve played for much of the season.

If you have been paying to watch entertaining football you are in the wrong city.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The style of football we played tonight is not typical of that which we’ve played for much of the season.

It must just be every time I turn up then that the tactic seems to be pass it back to Reynolds to launch it?

Glad to hear it.

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

It must just be every time I turn up then that the tactic seems to be pass it back to Reynolds to launch it?

Glad to hear it.

For some reason it seems to be a tactic we employ more when we play one up front, not sure why.

When it’s a genuine two up front we seem to keep the ball down more, use the midfield four and get more service into the front two.

I’m not sure why Neilson changes the tactics.

I definitely felt like our bench looked weak last night. A mixture of a lack of options but also a real lack of faith in those listed as subs, which is partly Neilson's fault for never actually playing any of them. I did previously think that someone like Cammy Smith would be a great option to have but he, and others, have barely been used by the manager. If Neilson is not going to use them then we really do need a few additions in January.

United's tactics last night were poor. Shankland getting the ball punted towards him with varying accuracy was bad enough, but the distance between him and the rest of the United team was so great that if he did manage to reach the ball there was never anybody around to collect his lay-offs and knock-downs. This was blindingly obvious from the George Fox, but seemed to go unnoticed in the manager's dugout. 

I think, at times, we rely too much on McMullan for service to the strikers. Means if he's having a quieter game we can end up hoofing useless long balls up to Shankland and creating very little. Hopefully we get a left winger in in January to freshen things up a bit. 

1 hour ago, Lancashirearab said:

United's tactics last night were poor. Shankland getting the ball punted towards him with varying accuracy was bad enough, but the distance between him and the rest of the United team was so great that if he did manage to reach the ball there was never anybody around to collect his lay-offs and knock-downs. This was blindingly obvious from the George Fox, but seemed to go unnoticed in the manager's dugout. 

Every time we play with a lone striker we underperform.  Just when I think Neilson realises this he proves me wrong.

I definitely felt like our bench looked weak last night. A mixture of a lack of options but also a real lack of faith in those listed as subs, which is partly Neilson's fault for never actually playing any of them. I did previously think that someone like Cammy Smith would be a great option to have but he, and others, have barely been used by the manager. If Neilson is not going to use them then we really do need a few additions in January.

Spot on. If Neilson is bringing on Sporle ahead of Smith when we needed a goal, it tells you Smith has no chance of getting a game.