Dundee United 2019/2020

20 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Cracking start to this policy regarding profiting off of youth players.

The major flaw IMHO with making money from the sale of youth players is the fact most, if not all, of the bargaining power these days is with the player and agent.

Players will no longer sign lengthy contracts that favour the club.

When looking at it objectively it’s hard to argue against a player wanting to make as much money as quickly as they can.  One serious injury to the player and / or loss of form and their entire financial security goes out the window.

21 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

What's everyone thinking about right now?

We are still light on attacking wide players, particularly ones prepared to take on an opponent.

McMullan is the only natural player we have in that position, Appere has done OK but it’s not his best position and Sporle, after being played as a left-sided attacking player, seems to be out of favour.

Our financial position is well known but, unless I’m mistaken, we have no players on loan to us at present.  Maybe strengthening that position at Christmas with a loan player would be a good idea.

18 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

We are still light on attacking wide players, particularly ones prepared to take on an opponent.

McMullan is the only natural player we have in that position, Appere has done OK but it’s not his best position and Sporle, after being played as a left-sided attacking player, seems to be out of favour.

Our financial position is well known but, unless I’m mistaken, we have no players on loan to us at present.  Maybe strengthening that position at Christmas with a loan player would be a good idea.

I know I'm on my own with this....

Banks could play. He's leaving either in January or at the end of season (as others will I hasten to add), but whilst he's still here and earning a salary from us, (and if he's as good as he thinks he is) I don't see what we gain from having him sitting in the stand.

Like I say - on my own with this I suspect!

43 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Banks could play. He's leaving either in January or at the end of season (as others will I hasten to add), but whilst he's still here and earning a salary from us, (and if he's as good as he thinks he is) I don't see what we gain from having him sitting in the stand.

He's clearly not as good as he thinks he is and there are other people fighting for that jersey who actually want to play for the club. I say f**k him. It would be a different story if he was demonstrably better than the alternatives but he's done nothing to suggest that's the case.

58 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Not sure if I agree.

If we are still top come the transfer window and looking at being favourites for promotion, I imagine there would be English Championship teams who could see a loan spell for an up and coming player who is not yet ready for their first team being part of a promotion winning side as being a positive.

I was looking forward to seeing him after glowing reports from his loan spell at Clyde but Banks has played about 5 minutes of league football for United so it isn't as if he is going to be a loss on the field.

Signing youngsters for a couple of hundred grand and putting them in the reserve and youth teams is nothing to English clubs. It is going to happen more and more with the huge finances down south.

The best we can hope for is Banks making it and United receiving a percentage of a future transfer fee. In all likelihood he'll disappear into the English lower leagues.

16 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Noticing quite a few Dundee fans like to post their wisdom on this Dundee United thread, yet very few United fans stray onto the 'dee thread.

As a poster with limited involvement on this internet forum game, is that what is meant by 'getting bites from opposition fans'?

No.

11 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

He's clearly not as good as he thinks he is and there are other people fighting for that jersey who actually want to play for the club. I say f**k him. It would be a different story if he was demonstrably better than the alternatives but he's done nothing to suggest that's the case.

This 100%

I don’t want anyone anywhere near the matchday squad that isn’t willing to give 100% commitment for every ball and the team, for fear of picking up an injury that could jeopordise his big move.

With any luck his agent will move his move forward and we can perhaps get a bit more than the £200k in January; otherwise in all likelihood he’ll waste an entire year of his career waiting for his free agent move in the summer.

Like you say... f**k him indeed.

On 05/11/2019 at 15:06, dregs 83 said:

£200k is still a decent return for someone who came good in league 2 last year and had a handful of starts for the first team- one of which was an absolutely shite display in a home pumping against East Fife.

We realistically can’t justify offering any more of those types of contracts to anyone in this league, let alone an unproven 18 year old.

We are already spending too much on player wages and some contract offers are going to have to be retracted/reduced to ease that burden - and at least we are receiving £200,000.  It is easy to forget that he has only started 2 games for United, both in the League Cup.  I just hope that he doesn't live to regret leaving United so soon - although Palace obviously have a bit of faith in his ability, he wouldn't be the first youngster who has left Scotland for England only to return a few years later worse off for it...

On 05/11/2019 at 15:09, MacArab said:

I think that there is a fair chance he will get lost down there sadly, as Allan did, and it is my view that it is for this reason that Allan has never really lived up to his early potential.

Scott Allan would have had a far better career if he had stayed with us for another season or two (even Scott Fraser managed 100+ appearances, and Stuart Armstrong played 150 games at United before making the step up; look at him now...) - I really hope that further down the line Lawrence Shankland publicly praises his decision to come to Tannadice en route to the Ballon d'Or so that others will follow suit!

19 hours ago, Steven W said:

My guess is that we are going to try to sell him as soon as the January transfer window opens, so playing him and risking him getting an injury is not worth it - because if he were to get a bad injury then he would just sit out the whole season and go for nothing (except a tribunal awarded training fee).

11 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Noticing quite a few Dundee fans like to post their wisdom on this Dundee United thread, yet very few United fans stray onto the 'dee thread.

The obsession runs very, very deep...