Dundee United 2019/2020

7 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Being told not to worry is all very well, but the reality is that the accounts just released are an absolute car crash; we are losing more in the Championship than would be acceptable at the top end of the Premiership.

Are the Ogrens really that experienced at owning sports clubs?  From the very limited amount of information available about him online, his teams are not exactly huge institutions: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sioux_Falls_Stampede (junior ice hockey team)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sioux_Falls_Canaries (professional baseball team that has no connection to MLB)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mankato_MoonDogs (amateur baseball team)

We are keeping him fit to sell him for millions in January... all part of the masterplan!

What I mean by that and I sure you understand exactly what I mean, this is not a surprise. This is not unexpected, we were warned, we were told they would look very bad.

We were told at the Q&A of roughly where the money was going. We were told that some of the money was being spent on areas that would allow us to bring MORE money in.

The wages look bad as they include to 11 we signed in January , they do not include the fact that we have let the same number of 1st team squad members go. Although I still believe it is too high for Championship, but we are paying Premiership wages.

Certainly more experienced as a sports club owner than Eddie Thomson, Steven Thomson & Mike Martin. Although if we want to look for things to be negative about it is very easy, we can turn anything to a negative.

I am merely trying to add a bit of facts and to pull the narrative back slightly from  we won't see out the season, its all a tax dodge, the sky is falling in that people seem to default to. As I have said in my previous posts on the subject I am not happy to have big losses, BUT I understand why. As long as the truth is being told then yes,all will be good and there is NO problem. IF they scrrw up from this position and there is no improvements, or the outgoings do not show signs of big drops in expenditure then alarm bells will be ringing very loudly.

Also I refuse to pp lace any credence in the Alan Patullo piece due to the inaccuracies in it. I will keep an aye on what the likes of Scott Burns is reporting on it as he has a track record of accurate United stories.

Scott Banks is more than likely away in January. Has been offered a new deal, but we have a situation similar to Scott Allan. His agent (or him and agent) are wanting far too much money.

On 29/10/2019 at 07:18, Sarto Mutiny said:

As always, it's funny that the comments about the accounts are coming mainly from fans who didn't appear to see the financial problems at their own clubs coming. If only you had scrutinised the accounts at your own clubs quite so vigorously, eh lads?

Unfortunately I was never appointed to the Dunfermline board when I was 16 (when the mega overspending really began) and sadly never got on it for the next 12 years either.

Irrelevant though, just like your post. A poor attempt at whataboutery.

Anyway, all the talk of buying building and Elite coaching etc might explain some of it but none of it explains the ludicrous wages to turnover ratio. That's the figure you need to be alarmed at.

How can United possibly bring that down below 100% and to a sustainable level? Not every player at Tannadice will be out of contract in the summer so they'll have a load on large wages carried through to next season, plus agents will now know what United can pay and won't be settling for lower wages any time soon, especially if United get promoted. 

Also who the f**k is being paid more than Shankland, and why?! Dear me.

We cut our budget in the summer and all the higher earners left. We replaced them mostly with younger players on lower wages. We made a loss so had to cut things accordingly. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Unfortunately I was never appointed to the Dunfermline board when I was 16 (when the mega overspending really began) and sadly never got on it for the next 12 years either.

Irrelevant though, just like your post. A poor attempt at whataboutery.

Anyway, all the talk of buying building and Elite coaching etc might explain some of it but none of it explains the ludicrous wages to turnover ratio. That's the figure you need to be alarmed at.

How can United possibly bring that down below 100% and to a sustainable level? Not every player at Tannadice will be out of contract in the summer so they'll have a load on large wages carried through to next season, plus agents will now know what United can pay and won't be settling for lower wages any time soon, especially if United get promoted. 

We cut our budget in the summer and all the higher earners left. We replaced them mostly with younger players on lower wages. We made a loss so had to cut things accordingly. 

It's interesting that your second line accuses my post of being irrelevant and you third line quotes the rest of my post (you know, the bit you chose to omit) almost verbatim.

27 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

It's interesting that your second line accuses my post of being irrelevant and you third line quotes the rest of my post (you know, the bit you chose to omit) almost verbatim.

No, I meant you saying that fans of clubs who have been in admin should have looked closer at the finances at their own teams is irrelevant.

11 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

What I mean by that and I sure you understand exactly what I mean, this is not a surprise. This is not unexpected, we were warned, we were told they would look very bad.

I knew that the accounts wouldn't look good, but these figures are absolutely shocking - the wage levels and wage:turnover ratio are way outside of "acceptable".

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Personally, I'm not buying that - I suspect it's a line from United, trying to deflect from the reality that we are paying a Scottish Championship player an English Championship wage...

7 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Ogren says he understands the fans' concerns over the results - and admits he has spent more than he planned - but he believes his investment will lead to a brighter financial and footballing future,

"The revenue figures didn't pan out the way that we hoped and the way that we were told that they would," said the American, who took control last December.

Again, you have to wonder what due diligence was done on this project!?

8 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

The most alarming thing there is him expecting to make a profit. He also seems to assume the top flight is some money haven. Does he think it's like English football where you get a mammoth increase in income upon promotion?

5 minutes ago, Dele said:

There are United fans that truly believe Shankland isn't the highest paid at the club and he chose United because its the "right place for him to develop". 

Oh my. :lol:

Tbf the rumours around Pawlett signing had him at around £4k a week.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The most alarming thing there is him expecting to make a profit. He also seems to assume the top flight is some money haven. Does he think it's like English football where you get a mammoth increase in income upon promotion?

Obviously a club will make much more in the Premiership (increased prize, TV and gate money) but they'll need to pay more on wages as well.

The more that is being reported about this the worse it looks.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Obviously a club will make much more in the Premiership (increased prize, TV and gate money) but they'll need to pay more on wages as well.

The more that is being reported about this the worse it looks.

Or better, depending on your viewpoint. 

The DABS have stated that even if they don't go up that Nielson would still be manager.  Given those business figures I would think that staying down would be completely unacceptable financially.  Its a bit like Sevco currently throwing whatever they can in terms of money at stopping Celtic, without - it would seem - a thought as to what happens next if they don't.  The DABS clearly have a business plan for promotion now, not next year.  If it fails?